Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #15

Good evening Rvssnake; On Monaco coaches of our era, the diagnostic port is usually under the left side of the dash. It should be located just left of the steering column cover. It is round with I think 6 pins in the port. I think some ports have 9 pins, going by memory. Sorry, under most circumstances you cannot use an automotive OB-I or OB-II reader. You need one for commercial trucks. Someone here just recently posted one, I think it was Amazon, but not sure. The reader has a number of pig-tails that attach to the reader for different trucks, Volvo etc. Might try putting a search in on Amazon or try Bing for search. Just read about it two weeks ago, but can't remember exactly where. You should be able to find something out there.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVSSNAKE View Post
Is the port under the dash like in a car or hidden somewhere else?
I have a tool I bought for my car but didnít know the MH would have the same connection.
My '05 Knight and my camping buddy's '00 Windsor have J1708 connectors. I have two. One is just to the left of the steering column under the dash and the other one is almost directly below it down in the 12VDC electrical baggage compartment.
The ScanGaugeD comes with a power and data cord with a connector. One end of the connector is the 6 pin(populated with 4 pins) J1708. The other end is the 9 pin(populated with 7 pins) J1939 for use on newer coaches. Just use the end which fits your coach.
My ScanGaugeD is the most valuable piece of equipment in my coach. I find it useful even when I'm parked in a campground or in the boonies with a cold engine.Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1536159356762.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	226288
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #17

Thanks FL420; Those were some of the numbers I could not come up with. Also a diagnostic reader for commercial trucks have pig tails with those connections. I am sure you and others agree, we would not be without those devices. Saves a lot of time. I also have a diagnostic pig tail in the engine compartment on my 01 Windsor with the ISC engine.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Thanks FL420; Those were some of the numbers I could not come up with. Also a diagnostic reader for commercial trucks have pig tails with those connections. I am sure you and others agree, we would not be without those devices. Saves a lot of time. I also have a diagnostic pig tail in the engine compartment on my 01 Windsor with the ISC engine.
Glad to be able to help. Just trying to pay it forward.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #19

Thanks for all your inputs.
I ordered a 6 pin to OBD2 adapter cable since I have a OBD2 scanner already.
If it doesn’t work I will order the ScangaugeD.
I could not find my 6 pin OBD port under the dash but did find one in the control bay in front of the left front wheel.
I would prefer something I could display on a larger screen.

Just as an update, when I took the HM back to the storage unit today the warning light was not lit.

I will update this thread on the adapter cable.

Thanks again,
Old 11-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #20

J1708/J1939 Adapter cable update

Unfortunately the J1708/J1939 to OBD2 adapter cable didnít work.
To be honest I really didnít expect it to as my scanner is for OBD2 and didnít recognize the J1708 protocol.

I do have a XTuner CVD 6 Bluetooth J1708 protocol scanner/reader on order that is supposed to transmit to my phone or tablet (android only).
It should be here Monday. I hope to test it the next weekend.

For those that might be following this thread, I will update when I have more info.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #21

Well I received the CVD6. No go, would not work with my 2000 Diplomat. Out of the multitude of things this was supposed to be able to do it would only do one thing and that was give me the voltage of my alternator. While good to know that made this a very expensive voltmeter and I already have two of those.

I have now ordered the scanguage D. BTW you can get one of these for 119.99 at Advanced Auto if you use their 25% off coupon code at the top of the web page.
RVSSNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVSSNAKE View Post
I have now ordered the scanguage D. BTW you can get one of these for 119.99 at Advanced Auto if you use their 25% off coupon code at the top of the web page.
What is the difference between the ScanGauge KR (Keith Rutherford edition) for $130 at CW, and the ScanGauge D for $160 at CW?

Other than the "KR" has a blue screen and the "D" has a orange screen in the photos.
Why the price difference?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #23

I have not received mine yet but from what I can find I should be able to adjust the color of my screen as well.

The difference, from Scangauge, is that the KR is geared towards the over the road trucker. It would have profit per hour and per mile as well as a few other items.

The KR is generally the more expensive unit.
I would say if you can get a KR for less than the D they should give you similar info.

I paid 131.** for my D with taxes.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #24

Did you figure out the warning light... Check or change oil pressure sensor on motor
ACOMA1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:37 PM   #25

Not yet on the warning light.
We just received the Scanguage today and havenít had a chance to connect it up.
The weather here is supposed to be nasty the next 3-4 days so I donít see getting it hooked up this weekend, but soon.

Besides that the warning light has not been on.

We took about a 450mi trip for thanksgiving and no light the whole time.

So until we have the Scanguage connected and configured and the light comes back we wonít know what that was about but will update this post with results.

Thanks for following.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:44 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Could the Warning light be for the HWH Leveling system? My coach has a warning light (name engraving) for that system on the dash but it says "HWH Warning".
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #27

CountryB, we donít have the HWH system but thanks for the checking.

Have not had a chance to connect the Scanguage D yet but hope to tomorrow. I will report on my findings.

Thanks all!
Old 12-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #28

I got a chance to connect the scangaugeD yesterday.

I must not have the correct port because all I got to display was the voltage just like the CVD6 I tried and thought was not working.

Now suspect I am not in the correct port.

I looked everywhere under the dash I could see and could not find any ports for the Scanguage to plug into.

If there is one in the engine bay or somewhere else that someone could direct me to that would be great.
I would assume you can extend the 6' cable with a good quality CAT5/6 cable if needed.

If someone on here has a 2000 Diplomat 38a and uses the ScanguageD and could guide me I would appreciate it.

I only have about two weeks to return the Scanguage if it won't work for my rig.

Thanks,

Tags
light