RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #1

WARNING light help?

Ready head south 2 days ago. Waited out the snow storm.

Started the engine and my red "WARNING" light is coming on and staying on. Cycled my lift pump several times and still get the light. Several weeks ago this happened and cycling the lift pump got rid of the light. Ran a test drive and it did not come back so I thought we were good to go.

I changed the fuel filters (no water and clean inside) and cycled the lift pump to make sure the system is primed. Light still on when I start up.

Installed guage on lift pump and it shows 17 psi while the lift pump cycles for 30 seconds as it should. BTW, the lift pump has been replaced 5000 miles back.

My Mapleleaf System Diagnostic is giving me:

ENG PID 94 2 Fuel Delivery Pressure Invalid Data

If I clear it it comes back immediately. I got this same message before I replaced the lift pump a couple years ago. The message disappeared after that.

I ran the key on dash diagnostic and got: Fault Code "268" - Fuel Pressure Sensor.

I thought it might be the fuel pressure sensor so I bought a new one from Cummins (4025130) and replaced my old one. No change. Still get the "WARNING" light on my dash. $350 down the money hole, but one less thing to worry about.

My engine is a 1999 8.3 ISC with a CAPS pump. 67K on the coach.

I don't know what to look at next. I can't believe the lift pump is the problem. It pumps the correct pressure and is not leaking.

The engine starts and runs well. The test drives do not indicate any loss of power. I could ignore the light and head out and it might drive just fine or I might end up as one of the horror stories that I have read on this forum. Parts and service are hard to come by with the COVID mess.

Help?

Ed
OilyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 02:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Wonder what kind of fuel pressure you are getting after the secondary fuel filter.

I had read of previous posts where owners had problems with the inside of the fuel lines deteriorating causing a blockage prior to the filter. If this was your problem it could cause a lower fuel pressure at the CAPS pump.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I found this document which has the fault code and troubleshooting steps
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Titnb7p7oqoo3g

if you do a search for 268 it will take you to the page.

It said to check wiring harness connections and grounds.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #4

I wonder about that also. I cannot find a port on the filter housing to install a gauge in.
I do not get any stalling or hesitation when I test drive the coach. I have pushed it hard on local hills to find fuel starvation problems. It seems to have plenty of power.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the link. This is helpful in testing. I will spend some time tonight troubleshooting. I need to find the ECM. Is it by the drivers seat in the wall?
Old 12-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I created an account on the Cummins Quickserve site and registered my engine using the SN. Using this you have access to parts and service information including the maintenance manuals. I've downloaded my service manual to better understand the systems.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #7

I have done the same. It has been useful in finding the TSBs and which parts to order.
I have the manuals also.

Could the light be caused by something else even though I am getting fault code 268 and PID 94 2?
Old 12-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilyEd View Post
I wonder about that also. I cannot find a port on the filter housing to install a gauge in.
I do not get any stalling or hesitation when I test drive the coach. I have pushed it hard on local hills to find fuel starvation problems. It seems to have plenty of power.
Any gauge installed before the CAPS pump must measure negative pressure as the fuel is under vacuum once the engine is running. If installed between the filter and CAPS pump, it can be used to detect clogging filters by noting the vacuum after a filter change, and watching that value change, over time. If you notice driving issues, such a gauge may point to fuel delivery problems like air leaks, as well as clogged filters.

Your sensor warning, because it is not creating engine performance issues, seems to be electrical in nature IMO, as you and jacwjames suspect.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #9

Any suggestions on how to install a gauge between the final filter and the CAPS pump?
Is there any way to put a gauge on the gear pump to see if it is pumping correct (165 psi) pressure to the high pressure pump?
Can anyone tell me Where to find the ECM?
Old 12-05-2020, 08:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I looked at Section 12 in my manual "Adjustment, Repair, Replacement" and it does show how/where to check fuel pressures.

If you have the manual use the PDF search function and look for "Pump Pressure", it shows how to check pressures and what they should be. The section I looked indicate the pressure should be checked while cranking and engine not running.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #11

Update

Thanks for the info Jim. That is once again very helpful.
It says I should see 10 psi on the gear pump while cranking. We took the coach to an Independent shop and ran Insite. The tech said the gear pump was reading erratically. I saw 80 -120 -140 psi on it while running.
The tech mentioned the fuel temp sensor which works with the fuel sensor.
He cleared the codes (268 was the only one active) and 268 came back immediately. He said the ECM may need to be re-calibrated which he could not do, or have a grounding problem.

Earlier we had back tested the fuel pressure sensor and got 5.1 v orange to green and 1.2 - 1.8 v yellow to green with engine running.

I need to correct an error I made in my first post. I mentioned my Mapleleaf diagnostic system. It should of course been Silverleaf!

Ed
Old 12-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #12

Ecm is bolted to the engine block
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
A poor ground and/or wiring harness issue could be a cause for your problem. Shootist provided the location of the ECM, mine is on the passenger side, and is a bear to get at. Luckily I haven't had to fool with it.

Could the independent shop you went to do any other diagnostics? Can they download a copy of the ECM parameters. This would come in handy if you had a problem.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #14

I see the ECM and it is not going to be easy to work on. I agree that will be my next job. Pull the connectors and look for corrosion or broken pins. Then check for proper circuit to the fuel sensor connectors and to ground. If that is not a problem I think I will have to take it to a Cummins shop a little further away to get more diagnostic and a re calibration. The shop I was at today had limited ability and time.
I am suspecting the ground issue also. Since the ECM is mounted to the engine block I assume it grounds that way and my problem may be engine to frame/battery ground. I may need to renew some contacts on the corroded old frame.

BTW. Our trip south has been cancelled. 2020 what a bummer!

Tags
light