RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #1

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Warning light on

We drove about 200 miles on Monday.
I stopped to fill up and let the engine idle for 10 .minutes then fast idle speed for maybe 5 minutes.

When we left out the warning light was on.
First time ever.

We drove 45 minutes and arrived at our destination.

Engine and transmission temp s were normal.
Oil pressure was as usual.

There was some, maybe a pint of coolant on the fender.

The filler cap on overflow was not tight.

I removed and spin it on tight.
I sprayed with awsome and wiped clean.

We drove a few 100 miles today and no loss of coolant.

When I started engine this am the yellow cleared and stayed off.

When we stopped for breakfast and and idled a few minutes the yellow showed up.

I shut it down for breakfast.
Then started to run the last 100 miles.
The yellow stayed on.

Engine temps running 188 to 194 maybe
Transmission 190 or so.

On my mc1000

What should I be looking for ???

99 L 11. 500 hp ism
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190924_164946.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	261372

HJLowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It sounds to me that the first thing you should be looking for is low coolant. Have you refilled from what was lost while leaking?

Old 09-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #3

I see you have a 99 Monaco Sig, if you still have the factory plastic fill tank might be a good idea to check for cracks.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #4

Hi HJLowell; The trouble with the WARNING light is that it covers a slew of many items/sensors as such that might not be operating in their assigned range. You almost need a code reader or Scan Gauge D or Silver Leaf system that has the process to read stored codes in the engine ECM. Otherwise you are playing a guessing game. The coolant situation you had may or may not be why the WARNING light has come on and the off again. Just an example. Last year before leaving AZ. to come back to Washington I was letting the coach build air as it was sitting for 2 months. Bing, the WARNING light came on. I checked my Silver Leaf and under the diagnostic section and it read, barometric air pressure sensor/ low voltage and gave a code number. I drove home and the coach ran just fine. Also the first half hour of driving in the morning the WARNING light was not lit. But after that time the light would come on and stay on during the rest of the days driving. After I got home I replaced the sensor and all is well. This is just some FYI on what I had as an experience with the WARNING light. Hope this info helps and you find the problem. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
It sounds to me that the first thing you should be looking for is low coolant. Have you refilled from what was lost while leaking?
I only lost a pint or so.

Its on the full mark , I added back the pint I lost.
Its never used nor lost any before.
The fill cap was cross threaded.
I removed and checked coolant.
Then put it on and tightend correctly.

No cracks in the tank.
No leaks .

I was bringing it home from the cummins shop that reviewed and checked all hoses, hose clamp and belts.
They cross thread ed the cap I assume ?
Checking the level.

Fresh oil, oil filters, coolant filter, new hydraulic fluid and hydraulic filter.
Last week.

In 12 years I have never had to add a gallon of coolant.
6 years ago the coolant was drained, system flushed and fresh coolant added by cummins in Columbus Ohio.

I drive a out 5 to 6 thousand miles a year.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi HJLowell; The trouble with the WARNING light is that it covers a slew of many items/sensors as such that might not be operating in their assigned range. You almost need a code reader or Scan Gauge D or Silver Leaf system that has the process to read stored codes in the engine ECM. Otherwise you are playing a guessing game. The coolant situation you had may or may not be why the WARNING light has come on and the off again. Just an example. Last year before leaving AZ. to come back to Washington I was letting the coach build air as it was sitting for 2 months. Bing, the WARNING light came on. I checked my Silver Leaf and under the diagnostic section and it read, barometric air pressure sensor/ low voltage and gave a code number. I drove home and the coach ran just fine. Also the first half hour of driving in the morning the WARNING light was not lit. But after that time the light would come on and stay on during the rest of the days driving. After I got home I replaced the sensor and all is well. This is just some FYI on what I had as an experience with the WARNING light. Hope this info helps and you find the problem. Good luck!
Good info
Thanks so much
Old 09-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I see you have a 99 Monaco Sig, if you still have the factory plastic fill tank might be a good idea to check for cracks.
Yes
I do check the tank physically for cracks and leakes.
So far so good crossing fingers for good luck.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #8

Hi again HJLowell; I want to let you know that I had the same problem with a shop when they changed my coolant in my previous 2000 Monaco Windsor. I had to replace the Volvo plastic tank 1 year after I bought the coach. For some reason the shops cannot and I repeat, cannot put the plastic fill cap back on the plastic tank without cross threading the cap. I had this happen twice and on the way home to pick up some diesel, coolant was all over the back of the coach. I can get the cap on right, why can't they do it at $150+ an hour of labor. Called the shop when I got home and raised hell with them. After that I always checked the cap before picking up the coach! Just thought I would let you know. My now, 2001 Monaco Windsor has the replacement nylon coolant tank with the regular radiator cap for filling. Hope you can get an answer to the Warning light. Have a great evening!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #9

Wowww 8.3
Isnt that something concerning shops and the tank threads.

Thanks for the great tip

One time is , oooops ?
Two times inexcusable

Thanks again
We will be sitting for a month so I will update as I can clear this code and resolve .
Old 09-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #10

No cracks and no leaks
Fluid halfway between low and high mark.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190925_120055.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	261447Click image for larger version

Name:	20190925_120042.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	261448
Old 09-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #11

Running high idle now.

I pulled the low coolant sensor's clip off the top and sprayed WD 40 on male and female
Conectors.
I also removed top center cap.
Not certain it was on good.

Started the engine.
Warmed it up.
Put it on and off fast idle 3 or 4times and the ( warning light ) cleared off.

We will see next trip. ?

Thanks to All.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190925_121926.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	261449

Tags
light