Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Washout valve on black tank not working

My washout valve is not allowing water to be emitted into the black tank to wash it out. Recently on a trip to the mid-west it worked in the beginning but failed on the way home. It doesn't matter whether the water pressure is low or high, no flow is coming through. Once home I cleaned out the tank the old fashion way directing a hose through the window into the toilet. This is a bummer. Thinking I could get it unclogged I used a small length of garden hose and connected it to the inlet of the washout line and poured a drain cleaner (gravity flow) into it thinking it would break a clog that might be at the valve entrance to the tank. But nothing has happened. Any thoughts from anyone with the same problem having occurred would be helpful.
Dean B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Open up your tank bay compartment door and see where the Black Flush line goes into the tank. Remove it, clean it out as there are most likely harden particles clogging the nozzle holes.

Then take a drill and open up the small openings to a larger size which will eliminate that from happening again.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

Richard is 100% correct. Deposits slosh around and go into the spray nozzle. I had to cut the PEX to get the nozzle unscrewed so I could clean it. I then went to Home Depot and bought a PEX fitting that allowed me to join it back together but also to take it apart again if it needed cleaning again.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I realize you have a Monaco and I have a Tiffin, but possibly some of what's at the following link may help. Black Tank Flush Photos by bobged | Photobucket

First of all see if you have a back flow check valve, and if so, that it is working properly. Mine is located under the bathroom sink. Then as others have suggested, locate your sprayer head. It will most likely be at the top of your tank on the opposite side of your wet bay valves. Remove and clean the sprayer, and then drill out the holes to 3/32".

Good luck....it's a fun job.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #5

There is no back flow check valve in ours and the spray nozzle is located on the side of the tank opposite to the dump valve side
Old 12-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean B View Post
My washout valve is not allowing water to be emitted into the black tank to wash it out. Recently on a trip to the mid-west it worked in the beginning but failed on the way home. It doesn't matter whether the water pressure is low or high, no flow is coming through. Once home I cleaned out the tank the old fashion way directing a hose through the window into the toilet. This is a bummer. Thinking I could get it unclogged I used a small length of garden hose and connected it to the inlet of the washout line and poured a drain cleaner (gravity flow) into it thinking it would break a clog that might be at the valve entrance to the tank. But nothing has happened. Any thoughts from anyone with the same problem having occurred would be helpful.
I had that happen to my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer once. I tried to clear the blockage by using an air compressor hooked up to the hose fitting that leads to the tank spray nozzle. Didn't work! I then decided to fill the black tank with water, calgon water softener Calgon Water Softener - What It Does and Where to Buy It and some Dawn liquid dish soap and then let it soak over night. I also drove the coach around for a while to get the tank water sloshing around. The next day I hooked up the water hose to the flushing nozzle and low and behold the blockage was cleared. Sometimes toilet paper will float up against the spray nozzle on the inside of the tank and when it dries, it's like cement.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #7

It is common on the Monaco system to have the blockage inside the spray nozzle and not something on the inside of the tank. Let's don't confuse the issue with some other brand system until HD has checked the known obvious problem
Old 12-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Sometimes those obvious problems can have an easy fix aside from complete disassembly. I think I would try the easy fix first and then if that didn't work jump on in and take the whole thing apart

Sammie
Old 12-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #9

Sometimes it is the fix of a known Monaco problem that is the obvious and not the random possibility of a fix of some other brand system or motorhome. I think a known problem is more the obvious and the easy fix. I have talked to the guy that built the system used by Monaco and has full knowledge of the problems of his system.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
So Mike! What brand washout nozzle does Monaco use?

Sammie.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #11

For those early models it was a small company out of Austin, TX. The actual name of the company is probably out in the MH. It wasn't the best of designs.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I just walked out to our monarch and confirmed that we do have an anti back-flow valve under bath sink.

Mike
Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #13

So you are telling me that your tank flush system goes from the basement sanitary area where you connect up a hose to and then up inside the bathroom then down and to the basement again and to the other side of the tanks? Mine and a few others I have worked all stay in the tank basement area and the PEX is routed alongside the tanks
Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
So you are telling me that your tank flush system goes from the basement sanitary area where you connect up a hose to and then up inside the bathroom then down and to the basement again and to the other side of the tanks? Mine and a few others I have worked all stay in the tank basement area and the PEX is routed alongside the tanks
My 07 Neptune rubs up into bathroom vanity like that.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank