RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water and Methanol injection?

Anybody have experience with this? Looks interesting. Sanford
http://www.snowperformance.net/Searc...ts.asp?Cat=169

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
COOL!!

Several years ago, one of the rv magazines (I think it was 'MotorHome') had a cover photo of a couple big class-a's doing what looked like burnouts. I kept that issue around for the longest time, trying to photoshop my Endeavor into the image, but it never looked 'just right'.

I assumed at the time that they did some 'creative' artwork to get the photos, but maybe they actually used something like the methanol-injection

RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I went to the Sema show in Las Vegas and talked to Banks about their water/methanol injection system, and it looks pretty good. Been reading up on it on the internet. It is an old proven system from what I have read. During World War 1 the P-47 (I think) used it to increase horse power etc. Sanford
Old 11-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
In the deezle truck world, snow has been around for a while...
BUT, very important to get the mixture right, too much and the results are not pretty
Old 11-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yes Snow Performance has quite a few kits for the water/meth injection systems. The optimum ratio from what I have read is 49% meth to 51% water. Like you said the mixture is very important and you don't want to go over a 50/50 mixture. Some windshield premix solutions are OK with about 30% methanol. If anyone is interested in checking out this cheap torque and horsepower method check Snow Performance and Banks Engineering web-sites. Sanford
Old 11-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
During World War 1 the P-47 (I think) used it to increase horse power
I think engine technology may have moved on a bit since then.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yes engine technology has moved on a bit, but from what I've read on water/methanol injection on gas and diesel engines has also technologically advanced. Check it out for yourself and see. Sanford
Old 11-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
I went to the Sema show in Las Vegas and talked to Banks about their water/methanol injection system, and it looks pretty good. Been reading up on it on the internet. It is an old proven system from what I have read. During World War 1 the P-47 (I think) used it to increase horse power etc. Sanford

Actually, it was World War II, and the P-47 as well as other fighters of that era had water injection. There was a little safety wire across the throttle slide that prevented you from engaging the water injection accidentally. In an emergency, you forced the throttle forward, broke the little wire, started injecting water for a short period of time if you had to GET AWAY FROM SOMETHING or whatnot. Then if you made it back to base, they generally had to rebuild the engine!

Moral of the story is if you don't get the mixture/amount/timing right, or use it on the wrong type of engine, you can be in to big $$$$$! Although pretty cool, I'll settle at arriving at my destination 20 minutes later!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Arriving at my destination 20 minutes later is what I do now. Although at times I wish I had a bigger engine aka more powerful. This could be the answer. Good fuel economy on the flatland, and power to climb the grades "cool" (lower internal engine temperature) at more speed is inviting. Sanford
Old 11-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the rest of the story: after checking out Banks and Snow Performance's water/methanol injection systems for my ISB 340 HP 6.7 Liter Cummins Diesel I have decided it was not worth the money or the hassle purchasing and slepping around the extra weight of liquid. Now the GREAT news my ISB 340 HP is now at Cummins Pacific in Downey, Calif. getting an extra 100 plus foot pounds of TORQUE. Some more HP and all at a cost of less then $400.00 with my Good Sam discount and my Cummins Club discount. They will be reflashing my ECM (engine computer module) with the up rated software. Everything always works out............Sanford
Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Here is the rest of the story: after checking out Banks and Snow Performance's water/methanol injection systems for my ISB 340 HP 6.7 Liter Cummins Diesel I have decided it was not worth the money or the hassle purchasing and slepping around the extra weight of liquid. Now the GREAT news my ISB 340 HP is now at Cummins Pacific in Downey, Calif. getting an extra 100 plus foot pounds of TORQUE. Some more HP and all at a cost of less then $400.00 with my Good Sam discount and my Cummins Club discount. They will be reflashing my ECM (engine computer module) with the up rated software. Everything always works out............Sanford
Will the transmission handle the uprate? Usually it's the transmission that keeps the HP/torque ratings down,
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I believe the trans will be OK and that the engine manufacturer might have intentionally down grated the engine to pass EPA standards, and insure the engine didn't fail during the 5 year warranty period. Possibly the Allaison is also rated conservatively for the same reasons. I do have pyro and boost gauges so I will be watching them during grade climbing. If the Trans does fail I will get it rebuilt with heavier duty torque converters etc. Bottom line it's my ride and I'm enjoying it. Sanford
Old 11-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #13

"I believe...", "might have ...", "ensure the engine didn't fail ...", "Possibly ...."

Fingers and toes crossed then?
Old 11-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Think about this for a bit.. now these devices are not all that expensive to produce.. Americans seem to all be related to Tim Allen's character on Home Improvement "MORE POWER, MORE POWER"... And we also really do not like paying the Koch brothers that much (MORE MPG, MORE MPG) in fact the Government has mandated MORE MPG for all vehicles as well.

If adding something like this would result in more POWER and performance and more MPG and NOT damage the engine...

Would not the manufacturers be doing it?

Ask yourself that question?

In this case the answer is: Engine Damage.. yes it works,, But the cost of a new engine negates any and all savings.

Tags
water