Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2017, 07:07 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Water Bay Heater

We have a 2006 Monaco Knight. The "Cargo Heater" in the water bay isn't working. I have checked the fuse and power at the switch both are ok. I cant find the snap disc thermostat. Any suggestions where it may be?
redworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is it actually not working or is the temp not low enough. I thought mine was not working either until the temps got low enough then it started working.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Your's being a later model it's probably different from mine, but we have a "System Heat" switch inside that turns on the heater in the wet bay. There is a snap disc on the wall beside the heater. Those heaters are known to be troublesome! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I understand the heaters have an internal fuse too.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #5

Good afternoon Redworm; Look up behind the panel in the wet bat that covers all your waterlines. This is where my snap disk is located on my 2001 Windsor. You all most have to stand on your head to see it. Get a good mirror and flashlight and look up behind that panel. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #6

redworm... There is the snap disc which closes when it gets cold & turns the power on to the Cargo Heat.... Inside of the Cargo Heat there is a THERMAL FUSE which is known to fail... You can purchase them on Amazon & replace that if it turns out to be faulty ( Check the continuity to see if it is bad )...I’ve had to replace my thermal fuse 2 times...Some folks have opted to use 110 volt personal heaters, light bulbs , etc. when plugged in at RV parks... If you decide to toss your 12 volt cargo heat I’m interested....
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:40 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
So many things to check ( as I just finished checking and fixing mine).

1. The switch has a light, it should light up with the system heat switch on. If the light does not come on, check the 5 amp fuse, and the switch. My switch had a burned out lightbulb and I had to replace that. (As a retired EE, I rebuilt my switch and used a LED for the light.) Once you get that system heat switch to light up, step two:
2. The System Heat indicator light (next to the switch in my Ambassador) only lights when the snap disk thermostat closes. So it is not on all the time.
3. If the bay is below 36 degrees, the snap disk should come on and light the indicator lamp. This sends a signal to the heater to turn on. The heater has an unswitched 12V power feed (30 amp) and the thermostat wire. Check to make sure the 12V feed is powered.
4. If the 12V feed is powered apply 12V to the control (thermostat) wire at the heater. The heater should come on if it is reasonably cold. (There is an internal thermostat in the heater as well so you can't test it at room temperature.) If the heater is cold and doesn't heat then check the thermal fuse inside.
5. Remove the four screws and lift off the front cover. The thermal fuse is a small round device connected in series with the heating element and it's power wire. In another thread I posted a link to a self resetting thermal protector that should work fine with this heater. Or use the one time thermal fuse. Either is fine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bay Heater.pdf (55.7 KB, 160 views)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
On my coach, in the passenger side rear electrical bay there are a series of mini breakers that provide power for the cargo bay heater. One is a 5 amp that provides power to the switch, the other is a 25 amp that provides power to the bay heater.

~6 years ago I was checking out my bay heater as I was getting ready to travel in very cold weather. I could not get the bay heater to come on by bypassing the thermal snap disk. I took the heater apart and and it was good. Finally checked the minibreakers and found the 25 amp mini breaker was loose, once I tightened the nut it fixed the problem.

My thermal fuse is mounted next to the heater on the side wall behind the panel in the wet bay, hard to see. To check it I remove the wires from both sides and use a spad connector to close the connection.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
I failed to mention we were camping last weekend and the temp. Dropped to 27f.
redworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #10

I looked on Amazom for this Thermal fuse and can only find one similar but can't see the bottom to see if the prongs are the same. Do you have a item number? The numbers on my fuse are NT90TNAS12CB no.40A/250VAC/30VDC
Thanks
FIREBALLBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:33 PM   #11

When your switch went bad did you have power to the red wire in cargo bay? My red wire is hot all the time. If I turn the switch on or off it's still hot and I even pulled the fuse and it's still hot.
FIREBALLBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redworm View Post
We have a 2006 Monaco Knight. The "Cargo Heater" in the water bay isn't working. I have checked the fuse and power at the switch both are ok. I cant find the snap disc thermostat. Any suggestions where it may be?
I had a Cargo Heat brand heater installed as original equipment in my 2006 Diplomat. After I replaced the thermal fuse a couple of times I decided to replace the heater. I installed a DC Thermal SA-2000 12 volt heater. It is about the same size as the original heater. It has a hi/low switch to set the temperature range. Max Btu's is 3,674. You will need to wire in an automotive relay, as the heater only has two wires. You can see the relay in the attached pictures. There is also a wiring schematic that is in one of the threads on the wet bay heater. I don't recall the part number on the relay. I purchased the relay at the local automotive store. I purchased the DC Thermal heater on EBAY, cost was $153.00. It works great and have had no problems with it.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony49 View Post
I had a Cargo Heat brand heater installed as original equipment in my 2006 Diplomat. After I replaced the thermal fuse a couple of times I decided to replace the heater. I installed a DC Thermal SA-2000 12 volt heater. It is about the same size as the original heater. It has a hi/low switch to set the temperature range. Max Btu's is 3,674. You will need to wire in an automotive relay, as the heater only has two wires. You can see the relay in the attached pictures. There is also a wiring schematic that is in one of the threads on the wet bay heater. I don't recall the part number on the relay. I purchased the relay at the local automotive store. I purchased the DC Thermal heater on EBAY, cost was $153.00. It works great and have had no problems with it.
Here are the pictures-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bay Heater.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	184670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bay Heater Installed.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	184671  

Tags