RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water fill valve mystery

While camping at RV park in Flagstaff last week, was connected to the park water system. Had been warned water pressure was 100 psi so I was using my pressure regulator, like always. I had the valve handle in the City water position.

We took the toad to Sedona the next day. Gorgeous place!
Upon our return to the coach I noticed water leaking under the water tank. I instantly turned off the water and started investigating. Checked fill valve handle position and it was very firmly in the correct position. I moved it to water tank fill and back to city water position Several times and it felt, and acted, totally normal.
I turned the water back on and I could hear water going into the water tank. I moved the lever back and forth several times and it would not shut off the water going into the water tank. It was filling at a much slower rate than in the fill position, but it was definitely filling the water tank.
I shut off the water an decided to attack it when I got home.
Left flagstaff a couple of days later and went to a RV park in Kingman AZ. While hooking up I decided to hook up the water, just to check it. Used the pressure regulator again and the fill valve worked perfectly?? Worked flawlessly while we were there ??
I hesitate to tear the wet bay apart if this was some kind of a fluke but still, Iím worried about it.
What ya all think ??
Thanks,
Greg
08 Camelot
Sorry for the long post .....

gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2019, 09:00 PM   #2

Are you sure you have a working regulator ?
My coach has a check valve at the water pump that should stop water from flowing
backwards into the tank but I'm not sure it can hold back 100PSI .

Ray

RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Great idea ! Thanks !
Old 03-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Didnít know about that feature ! Makes total sense. Just ordered a HIGH QUALITY regulator with adjustable pressure and a pressure gauge.
Thanks again, RamiDav !
Old 03-29-2019, 06:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnlandrus View Post
While camping at RV park in Flagstaff last week, was connected to the park water system. Had been warned water pressure was 100 psi so I was using my pressure regulator, like always. I had the valve handle in the City water position.

We took the toad to Sedona the next day. Gorgeous place!
Upon our return to the coach I noticed water leaking under the water tank. I instantly turned off the water and started investigating. Checked fill valve handle position and it was very firmly in the correct position. I moved it to water tank fill and back to city water position Several times and it felt, and acted, totally normal.
I turned the water back on and I could hear water going into the water tank. I moved the lever back and forth several times and it would not shut off the water going into the water tank. It was filling at a much slower rate than in the fill position, but it was definitely filling the water tank.
I shut off the water an decided to attack it when I got home.
Left flagstaff a couple of days later and went to a RV park in Kingman AZ. While hooking up I decided to hook up the water, just to check it. Used the pressure regulator again and the fill valve worked perfectly?? Worked flawlessly while we were there ??
I hesitate to tear the wet bay apart if this was some kind of a fluke but still, Iím worried about it.
What ya all think ??
Thanks,
Greg
08 Camelot
Sorry for the long post .....
Don't forget that another way for the city water to overflow the fresh water tank is thru the pump. I am currently in the process of replacing our pump because the city water is seeping thru the pump output side to the vacuum side and overflowing the fresh water tank. Could be that your problem will go away when the city water pressure is below 60 PSI.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Don't forget that another way for the city water to overflow the fresh water tank is thru the pump. I am currently in the process of replacing our pump because the city water is seeping thru the pump output side to the vacuum side and overflowing the fresh water tank. Could be that your problem will go away when the city water pressure is below 60 PSI.

Bob
Bob , your pump probably has a check valve too . Check valves are
easily added by simply cutting the pump output tubing and inserting
a shark bite ck valve .
I can't post a picture but here is a link .

Ray

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...0LFA/202721919
Old 03-30-2019, 05:19 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Bob , your pump probably has a check valve too . Check valves are
easily added by simply cutting the pump output tubing and inserting
a shark bite ck valve .
I can't post a picture but here is a link .

Ray

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...0LFA/202721919
Ray,

Thanks for the link to the check valve. Truth is I have been wanting to upgrade the pump and move it for some time. The factory mounted the pump below the gray water tank in a place that was almost impossible to work. Also it was not a very good pump and was mounted vertically on the side wall of the compartment. The large white panel is also a pain to remove and replace and we have done it three times in the past. I am in the middle of this project now and have cut down the panel and re-enforced it with removable aluminum angle at the back. I replaced the 13 year old Surflo with a Remco AquaJet 5.3 GPM 65 PSI pump, variable speed with 5 chambers. I moved the pump location to the ceiling of the compartment and added a Surflo surge tank. The pump and surge tank as well as the hose reel are now visible and accessible for service over the top of the panel. I am about to go out to the garage now and continue working on the project.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post

Bob
Water pump are very rebuildable and much cheaper then buying new. Amazon is your friend.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #9

[QUOTE=nodine;4702034]Ray,

Thanks for the link to the check valve. Truth is I have been wanting to upgrade the pump and move it for some time. The factory mounted the pump below the gray water tank in a place that was almost impossible to work. Also it was not a very good pump and was mounted vertically on the side wall of the compartment. The large white panel is also a pain to remove and replace and we have done it three times in the past. I am in the middle of this project now and have cut down the panel and re-enforced it with removable aluminum angle at the back. I replaced the 13 year old Surflo with a Remco AquaJet 5.3 GPM 65 PSI pump, variable speed with 5 chambers. I moved the pump location to the ceiling of the compartment and added a Surflo surge tank. The pump and surge tank as well as the hose reel are now visible and accessible for service over the top of the panel. I am about to go out to the garage now and continue working on the project.
Bob [ quote ]

Bob,
That makes a lot of sense I installed the same AquaJet pump , fortunately
mine is easy to get to . I have seen pictures of how Monaco mounted some
pumps so they were nearly impossible to access . I also installed a surge
tank and we really like how it smooths out the flow .
I know what you mean about the dreaded white panel . Monaco could
have thought that through a little better .
My 03 Windsor doesn't have a hose reel sometime I think I want one but
it would mean a big job finding a way to get one in there and taking out
the white panel
Guess I'll keep rolling up my hose

Ray
Old 03-31-2019, 05:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
When we got our Camelot 40PDQ, I was amazed when I finally found (with y'alls help I might add - never would have found it on my own!) that the water pump & filter were hidden by themselves in an almost inaccessible separate compartment below the gray/black tanks.
So I moved the filter to the 'white monster' (big plastic panel) outside, but it's always bugged me that the space above the pump was useless. I eventually hit on the idea of making a platform above the pump/hoses to store small/light stuff like extra wipers, water & fuel filters, etc, with sides on it so stuff wouldn't fall off. Freed up a lot of space in other compartments!

I realize this is off-topic to the original postings, but thought maybe if someone is working in the water-bay area, it might be a worthwhile add-on project.

Tags
valve, water