RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This week I picked up our new 2008 Monaco Monarch. I was reading the manual(s) and making myself familiar with all the systems. When it came to the water filter and how winterizing utilized a small bypass hose, I didn't remember seeing that hose in the accessories box(s) or drawers of the motor home. I then thought, well, maybe the coach is still winterized and went out to the water bay to see if the bypass hose was on there in the winterized configuration. I could see the water filter way back behind the RV Sanicon (sp?) motor and think, 'great layout! I'll need to train the cat to work on this'. After reaching back in there and feeling around, the water filter is not connected up to anything at all, in fact the thru-wall piping shown in the manual's illustrations is not even there. Since the manual says some items covered in the manual may or may not be applicable to all motor homes, at this point it is not clear if it was supposed to be hooked up at all or ???? Does anyone have any comments, suggestions or experiences about this before I call the dealer?

Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This week I picked up our new 2008 Monaco Monarch. I was reading the manual(s) and making myself familiar with all the systems. When it came to the water filter and how winterizing utilized a small bypass hose, I didn't remember seeing that hose in the accessories box(s) or drawers of the motor home. I then thought, well, maybe the coach is still winterized and went out to the water bay to see if the bypass hose was on there in the winterized configuration. I could see the water filter way back behind the RV Sanicon (sp?) motor and think, 'great layout! I'll need to train the cat to work on this'. After reaching back in there and feeling around, the water filter is not connected up to anything at all, in fact the thru-wall piping shown in the manual's illustrations is not even there. Since the manual says some items covered in the manual may or may not be applicable to all motor homes, at this point it is not clear if it was supposed to be hooked up at all or ???? Does anyone have any comments, suggestions or experiences about this before I call the dealer?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had a 06 Monarch 33PBD and the water filter was under the kitchen sink, and was very hard to get at. Therefore we didn't use it. We used a filter outside on the hose.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drifter:
We had a 06 Monarch 33PBD and the water filter was under the kitchen sink, and was very hard to get at. Therefore we didn't use it. We used a filter outside on the hose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ditto for us, filter under the sink plumbed to the drinking faucet. The bypass hose (plastic pipe w/fittings about 12" long) was in the tip out tray in front of the sink, just below the counter-top.

I'm not sure what you found in the water bay, but I'm pretty sure it's not part of the filter system. The Monarch filters the drinking faucet only. I've never seen one with a whole house filter, not even as an option.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Our 04 Imperial has a twostage filter in the waterworks bay as well as a single element filter under the sink. After we bought the coach I found "spare" filter elements for these in a package in the cargo bay. I was happy that they had give me spares! WRONG!!!! A year later I thought it would be a good idea to change the filters. That's when I learned that the bag of filters in the bay were the filters that were suppose to have been installed before delivery. They never had been installed! I did the job and sent the dealer a note of appreciation for their wonderful predelivery check of our coach. That ran the number of such "thank yous" up to about a hundred. Sheeesh!
Ron
Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update:

Summary: After a few eMails to and from Monaco service, lots of inspecting and taking and sending pictures, a trip to a dealer to inspect other Monaco Monarchs and take photos of those, and some more inspecting and some more photos I have figured things out.

All the Monarchs I saw when I went back to the dealer did have the same whole-house filter and were in the winterized configuration. While each looked different in where the bypass hose ended up, I could find them all. Photos below of three I took photographs of:

When I got back home I looked again and still didn't see a bypass hose anywhere near where I had seen them on the other Monarchs at the dealer, so I decided to try confirm all the water line connections by sticking my hand and arm even further up the the water bay and snapping as many photos as I could... AND... not visible from any vantage point unless I stuck my arm back there and blindly (literally) clicked away there was a bypass hose stuck way up and back towards center of the motor home. See photos below:

I've yet to get back in there to pull everything back down so I can hook up the water filter, but I can see light at the end of tunnel now!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Good work!!! Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? Now for the contortionist, I hope you are younger than me!

03 Saturn L2
abray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
So, what are you using to train the cat?

Is the pipe-routing setup something that could be changed to gain you better access to the bypass?

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi ronboc,

I believe I should be able to do that (in fact, have it in the configuration I noted as 'my favorite' in the ones I went back down to look at).

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is if the elbows in the lines are too tight to allow me to turn them in the water pipe. I will leave a few days of spare time anticipating breaking one or more of the elbows (and maybe mine). I see the potential for a new crimping tool in my future? BUT... I WILL have my way and make it easier for access the next time.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After a few false starts to solutions this is where I ended up:

The entire whole house water filter and bracket was removed from it's original location and the winter bypass hose hooked up. The bypass hose will remain that way, (until it leaks).

A plastic bracket was fashioned and attached in the water bay. It is essentially a rectangular piece of non-brittle plastic sheeting with a hole the size of the water filter cut into it.

The city water hose is attached to the input side of the water filter and a short metal flexible hose then goes to the original city water intake.

A faucet water filter was also installed on the kitchen sink.

This allows easy access to the filter and all that has to be done to replace the filter is lift it out of the holder, hose attached and all.

Bracket without filter:

Bracket and filter:

Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ceratto - many thanks for posting your follow-up pictures. Our 08/09 Monarch 33 SFS also has a whole-house water filter in the most inaccessible and illogical location they could possibly have picked: at the back of the water bay, up behind the Sani-con and related feces-dripping connections, and behind that amusing white wall Monaco seems to like using to make it pretty much impossible to see where your hoses are connected. While I'm not going to be as industrious as you have been in rearranging our plumbing, I'm going to suggest that my dealer do the same thing or something similar to make it even conceivable that we can change the water filter occasionally.

With helpful people like you, Ceratto, that's why I truly appreciate this board!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Bruce and Dan,

Thanks for the kind comments. It was my pleasure to share my misery and problems!

So sorry (but not surprised) to hear you have the same issue with the water filter. I agree 100% with your assessment of the water filter placement. I would not have been so industrious if I lived closer to the dealer. If you want to take the images I posted to your dealer for examples and can not print them from the posts, please let me know and I will get them to you in some other way.

We really enjoy the SF area. We are staying in a Novato RV park for a week in November.