Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #1

Location: Where ever we park but currently in Nine Mile Falls, WA
Water heater 2005 diplomat

Just noticed this morning what appears to be a leak from my water heater. No water coming out of the front of the wh but it is dripping right below it. No moisture on the rv from over night just a slow drip under the wh. Is there a way to access the back of the water heater? I have a 40 PAQ and the water heater is located below the bathroom floor. From what I have observed there is no access from below or from inside unless I'm missing something. Can the wh heater be pulled out from the front of the unit without disconnecting water and power lines to inspect it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ken
trabuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

Could be your pop off valve fixing to go bad. That senerio was exactly how mine did before total overheat. Just a thought so you could check there for leak. Hope you find the problem
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would also check the pressure relief valve and also the drain plug for any seeping.

Most MHs have rear access to the HWH inside the coach. This is where the by-pass valve is for winter storage. Just look at the floor level inside the coach opposite the outside heater. Should be a door/panel, drawer, inside cupboard, ect.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
trabuco......A couple of your side panels on the exterior of the coach (ones that don't open with a latch) open by removing screws from the under side of the panel. All of the panels are hinged. Once the screws are removed you can lift the panel and support with a stick. Even the panels that have your fuel filler doors open. Some of us with smaller coaches have added latches to the fuel filler panels so that they can be opened and used for storage above the fuel tank.

On my 05, I can access the back of my water heater by opening one of the side panels that doesn't have a latch.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

Thanks Don........good information. I'll be opening a couple of these panels today.

Ken
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #6

After following up on Don's recommendation I was able to gain access to the rear of the water heater from a side panel. Good news is was not the water heater that was leaking, it was the finger fittings that connect both hot and cold pex lines to the back of the water heater. Both these plastic fittings have cracks in them.

It appears to me that the cracks were caused by downward pressures as a result of no hangers on the lines themselves. Pretty poor workmanship on Monaco's part if you ask me. 3 to 4 feet of line just bouncing around as you drive down the road.

Pretty simple fix for this weekend. Fortunately my son has the crimp tool for the fittings. It'll end up being a $10 fix.

Ken

Tags
heater, water