Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #15

Mike,
your right, there are 8 coach batteries of which they replaced 4 but they also replaced the 4 chassis batteries per work order.
Once while I had a heavy draw of about 140, I did trip the fridge breaker and then all of the breaker over the drivers seat but that didn't stop the draw. It dropped to the 40 amp range by itself later. As mention earlier, today was a perfect day with electrical, worked as should. When and if the heavy draw reoccurs, I'm going to jiggle some wires and start pulling fuses.
Have you taken your Sig out on any long trips. We love riding in this coach and my wife loves driving it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #16

Bill, you are saying that your primary fuel filter plugged up in that short time from when you bought it to the other day. I would be awful suspect of the "Black Slime" especially after the coach had been in humid Florida all that time. I had the same identical symptoms in my previous MH and when I cut open the fuel filter it was full of the black slimey stuff. I installed a new fuel filter and it blocked up again after several thousand miles. It took one shock treatment dose of Biobor JF to kill it. Biobor JF is a liquid fuel additive that combats fungus and other microbial life in hydrocarbon fuels. I am not sure Howe's does that. Try this Hammonds Companies | Biobor JF

We took a trip to Dallas, Texas and back as a shakedown cruise. Had a few minor problems. The Satellite TV wouldn't work and I found the LNB in the antenna bad. Also had a sensor in the Aqua-Hot bad, the VORAD needed a software update and my rear camera didn't work. It is all fixed now. My wife drove the Sig also. She was scared at first then realized that you don't really feel all that length behind you. It sure rides smoother and quieter than my old MH. I was spoiled in the old MH getting 10.6 MPG. The Sig only saw 7.2 MPH with head winds.

One thing I did get to find out was how well the Roadmaster chassis handles in an emergency. I was driving on a back Texas wide two lane highway at about 62 mph (in a 70 mph zone and had all the lights on) when a car pulled up to a stop sign on the left. Then the car started to roll out slowly into the road like he had taken his foot off the brake and was not paying attention. I hit the air horns and jerked the Sig over onto the right shoulder. The guy in the car heard the air horns and quickly turned to his left so he was now going the same direction as us. I passed him on the shoulder. The wind had to have rocked his car pretty hard because it was close. It took my wife and I several minutes to settle down. I was impressed by the handling during that maneuver, it was a move you would never just try to see if you could do it. I am also impressed on how load those air horns are.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #17

Mike,
I like your mpg, mine's not that good. I'm avg 5.7 mpg at 62 to 65. I'm interested to see what that does when I start driving in the Rockies.

What size bottle of Biobor did you use with a tank of diesel. You didn't need to let it sit up, you just drove it right out?
Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #18

I bought the 16 fl oz bottle at a boat/marine supply and for the initial shock treatment you would add 5 oz to 150 gallons of fuel at fill up so it mixes. It took 24 hours to work. You can leave it in as long as you want.

Yes 7.1 MPG was on level ground at 62 mph but with a high head wind. That was read off the Aladdin. I did a reset at fill up then drove 700 miles. I have not checked the accuracy with a manual computation yet. Your motor is still probably tight and not broken in. Mine only has 25,000 miles on it so I hope it will get a little better. You may have lost some power and MPG with your filter being blocked or partially blocked.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #19

So I should add that at fill up when I know I'll be parking for about a day soon after fill up?
As it was obliterating the slime, that didn't cause any problem with the filter as the residue came thru?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmax View Post
I filled up at Russellville, Ar Flying J Sat and about 45 min later started getting intermittent "Water in Fuel" warning light. .....
Had the same experience at Flying J in Wichita Falls TX....

Made it as far as Clarendon before the rig wouldn't go faster than 55, bucking and surging the whole while....Luckily there was a "field Service" garage on 287...Fuel filter change, and on my way.....They could have "soaked" me, but they were honest and did not.

The Mech told me that right after they fill the tanks it stirrs up all the water and crud on the bottom, which will plug the filter...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #21

Bill, I would do the shock application when you know that you will be parked for at least 24 hours. It doesn't hurt to do it and drive but it will have more chance if it sits for 24 hours. You can also put in half the amount for storage prevention. I waited for about 5000 miles and changed the filter again. I always use a air cutting wheel and cut the filter outer canister off and inspect my fuel filter. The pickup in the MH tank is all the way against the bottom of the tank normally in a small well or sump. This way you are always sucking up and water on the bottom and that is why you have a water separator. The idea is not to ever allow much water to settle and stay in the bottom of the tank. The old theory of never running your tank low because you will get the crud off the bottom is a myth because the pickup is always on the bottom of the tank. I think the previous owner let condensation build up in the high Florida humid air because they didn't park it or store it with a full tank. This invites algae.

The fuel you pump at a Flying J or other major truck stop is all filtered before it comes out the nozzle. The pickup for the storage tank is not in the bottom to help in not picking up water and crud. Water does not stay suspended in diesel fuel and will stay on the bottom. The station also dips and samples the fuel normally daily looking for water and crud at the bottom of the tank. If it is found then they can open a drain on the tank bottom and pump out what is down there. These big truck stops pump a lot of fuel and have to fill those tanks at least daily. Not saying that it can't happen but they try not to piss off truck drivers because they will boycott the station. The only thing that is suspect is that Arkansas had a ton of rain right before you came through.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I spent a few years in the marketing department at one of the majors - the one with the big yellow sign. In that work, I learned that it's always a good idea to keep an eye on what's going on at a station where you plan to fill up. If you see the big truck in their dropping fuel, don't buy anything, just head on down the road.

Dropping fuel stirs up the crud that's in the bottom of just about all tanks and makes it easier for the suction to pick it up and delivery it into YOUR tank. Usually takes a while after the dump to let it all settle down.

And those dealers don't always check for water like they should. I think it's more likely that they will be checking at the large truck stops for the reasons mentioned by others in this thread, but I can assure you that lot's of dealers don't check like they should. Both the dealers and the drivers get in a hurry and don't always bother to put the purple paste on the dip stick.

Finally, good luck getting ANY station to admit that they had water in their fuel. Maybe if you catch them red handed, but the normal answer is, "Nah, we haven't had any problem."
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote