Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

Water in fuel light

So I was ruining in heavy rain coming across texas today. Everything was running great and continued to but the little yellow water in fuel light came on.

No bucking no loss of power ran perfect took hills downshifted and ran normal.

Ran out of rain light went out got off freeway and standing water on 290 light came back on.

Is there a wire connection at the bottom of the water separator for the light? I will not get to the engine until Tuesday when I get bike off rack so I can open the back.

I intend to drain bowl and check for any non fuel in bottom of filter? Anything else to do?
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #2

That is exactly the same experience we have whenever we run in significant rain in our '06 Dynasty. I finally came to the conclusion that it was moisture on the connector on the bottom of what I believe to be the primary fuel filter. It has a drain as well as a connector on it. When that connector gets wet, it will give me a "Water in Fuel" indication on our dash. The times that I did try to drain the water, there just wasn't any to be removed.

When it happened the first time, it was shortly after I had fueled at a small station south of Salt Lake City, and I was afraid that they had water in their fuel. They say we should always fuel at facilities that run a high volume through their tanks. But it turned out to just be water from the highway.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
That is exactly the same experience we have whenever we run in significant rain in our '06 Dynasty. I finally came to the conclusion that it was moisture on the connector on the bottom of what I believe to be the primary fuel filter. It has a drain as well as a connector on it. When that connector gets wet, it will give me a "Water in Fuel" indication on our dash. The times that I did try to drain the water, there just wasn't any to be removed.

When it happened the first time, it was shortly after I had fueled at a small station south of Salt Lake City, and I was afraid that they had water in their fuel. They say we should always fuel at facilities that run a high volume through their tanks. But it turned out to just be water from the highway.
Same deal, after cleaning my engine bay. I believe it to be water o the connector . Used some di-electric grease in the connector and no more issues.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #4

Mine flickers on and off periodically. I have never had water in the separator, so I ignore it. Still check the separator periodically.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
So I was ruining in heavy rain coming across texas today. Everything was running great and continued to but the little yellow water in fuel light came on.

No bucking no loss of power ran perfect took hills downshifted and ran normal.

Ran out of rain light went out got off freeway and standing water on 290 light came back on.

Is there a wire connection at the bottom of the water separator for the light? I will not get to the engine until Tuesday when I get bike off rack so I can open the back.

I intend to drain bowl and check for any non fuel in bottom of filter? Anything else to do?
Spray the connection when dry with silicone worked for me. Water splashing up on connection is the problem most of the time.
tacaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #6

Had similar issues and found that the connector wire was not even plugged into the filter. Driving in rain or washing coach triggered the light.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Had similar issues and found that the connector wire was not even plugged into the filter. Driving in rain or washing coach triggered the light.
Where did you find the wire I looked at the water sep fuel filter no wires
Old 11-13-2016, 07:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
Where did you find the wire I looked at the water sep fuel filter no wires
Mine was right at the water/fuel separator filter. There is a receptacle on the bottom of the fuel filter that it connects to.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Mine was right at the water/fuel separator filter. There is a receptacle on the bottom of the fuel filter that it connects to.

Ok its gonna rain all next week so I opened the eng comp tonite and there is no connectors or wires anywhere near the pri fuel water separator filter. I can not find where the sec filter is and am not laying down in the wet dirt. Ideas?
Old 05-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #10

its is 80 and sunny so I put cardboard on ground and got under eng. No wires near the pri filter on drivers side, sec filter on pass side had wire hanging down disconnected and when I sprayed water on it light came on. Wd40 plug in and all better.

So lesson learned is sensor is on sec filter on pass side and it works.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:24 AM   #11

A friend of mine had the same problem of intermittent "Water in Fuel" light coming on (as I have experienced as well)...and he checked the bowl a number of times and never had any water in the bowl (same as I have done). Finally, one Sunday afternoon as he was driving the light came on and stayed on....he kept driving and suddenly the engine died and he had to be towed off of the interstate. Spent a night in the parking lot of a diesel shop waiting for them to open....he decided to disconnect the "pig tail connector" that links the sensor in the fuel bowl to the wiring harness and the engine fired up and everything worked AOK....turned out that the connector had shorted out and stopped the engine.

Once home he replaced the "pig tail connector" and all is good.... In case your coach has the same connector here is the part number: Racor WIF Sensor #30880E I have purchased a couple of these off of EBay and carry them as a spare....

Not sure if this is your problem but offer it as a suggestion to consider.
Gary LS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, light, water