Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #1

Water in oil

We have a 2009 HR vacationer with Cummins ISB. I discovered water in oil this week. Being a car guy my first thought was head gasket [oh no] . Upon talking with a very experienced diesel mechanic he stated that 95% of the time it is the oil cooler and that blown head gaskets on that engine are very rare [hope so]. Does anyone here know or have any experience where to find the thing and changing it out?
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2021, 05:47 PM   #2

The engine oil cooler on an older ISB 5.9, is directly behind the oil filter . Oil filter , alternator and depending on location , dash A/C compressor , would have to be moved for access.

I'll see if there is any different info out there.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
We have a 2009 HR vacationer with Cummins ISB. I discovered water in oil this week. Being a car guy my first thought was head gasket [oh no] . Upon talking with a very experienced diesel mechanic he stated that 95% of the time it is the oil cooler and that blown head gaskets on that engine are very rare [hope so]. Does anyone here know or have any experience where to find the thing and changing it out?

I've heard you can use divining rods to locate the water source.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:09 PM   #4

I owned a '94 Cummins 5.9 ISB and it had that 'oil cooler' leak. Oil getting into the water indicates a pressure leak, and the tech told me that the only way that happens is via the oil cooler. As I recall, it doesn't go the other way. So, I'm confused by what your tech told you. Are you sure it's water in the oil, and not oil in the water?

In my case, when the antifreeze was drained, we could see a sheen of oil on the surface. Which is the tip off of the oil cooler leak. The oil cooler on my model, as I recall, is under a plate on the drivers side of the engine rearward of the turbo. Not easy job to replace so I just let it ride and years later, no big issues. I did need to replenish the oil on occasion as everyone does with or without that leak and the amount of oil in the AF didn't seem to increase a lot over time. Don't recall draining out the AF for that reason. I gathered that oil in the AF isn't very harmful. But water in the oil, that's bad.

One of those cases where letting it be was the low cost method.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:22 PM   #5

I can't find any indication of differences over the years on location .
Here's a picture of the oil cooler and one showing the cavity in the block where it fits.
A Google search for ; ISB oil Cooler ; will provide MANY more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ISB oil cooler.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	320990   Click image for larger version

Name:	ISB oil cooler removed.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	320991  

Old 03-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #6

Yep, that's where mine was.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:04 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Another thought.

Since you have an 09 coach, it could possibly be the EGR valve/ cooler.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #8

Bad Oil cooler pushes oil into coolant. You find it under the radatior cap. Oil floats on coolant

Coolant into oil is cylinder erosion, cracks in the head or head gasket. Coolant comes out the drain plug first or if run, turns the oil into dirty milk. Coolant eats the crankshaft bearings.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #9

Just a question.

Yes, when operating, the oil pressure exceeds the pressure of the coolant system so any leak would force oil into the coolant. But what about on shut down? Oil pressure drops to zero, yet the coolant is still pressurized. Could not coolant migrate into the oil in that situation? At best, there would be oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:45 PM   #10

I pre-tripped a school bus one day and found water on the dipstick. Turned out to be leaking cylinder liner(s).
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Just a question.

Yes, when operating, the oil pressure exceeds the pressure of the coolant system so any leak would force oil into the coolant. But what about on shut down? Oil pressure drops to zero, yet the coolant is still pressurized. Could not coolant migrate into tje oil in that situation? At best, there would be oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil.
Never had AF in my oil over several years of driving it after learning of the issue. But I did follow the recommendation by experts to always let the engine cool down after a long, steep, or high ambient temp run, which would also cool down the coolant.

An example would be climbing a steep hill and having the coolant temp rise up to 3/4 and then stopping at the peak and shutting the engine off without letting it cool first. That would be bad.

There were a few times when I would park, and set the cruise at 1500 RPM (big rigs CC's are designed for that) and wait until the temp gauge was down to normal for my engine before shutting it down.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Bad Oil cooler pushes oil into coolant. You find it under the radatior cap. Oil floats on coolant

Coolant into oil is cylinder erosion, cracks in the head or head gasket. Coolant comes out the drain plug first or if run, turns the oil into dirty milk. Coolant eats the crankshaft bearings.
Twinboat, could the coolant from the EGR cooler, make it's way into the sump?
Old 03-11-2021, 10:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Twinboat, could the coolant from the EGR cooler, make it's way into the sump?
I retired , the year Dodge /Cummins first came with the EGR cooler; and only saw a few , but can't think of a way , for coolant leak at the EGR cooler to get into the oil pan ; leak would go, with the exhaust gasses, to the intake manifold through the cylinders and out the exhaust.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Just a question.

Yes, when operating, the oil pressure exceeds the pressure of the coolant system so any leak would force oil into the coolant. But what about on shut down? Oil pressure drops to zero, yet the coolant is still pressurized. Could not coolant migrate into the oil in that situation? At best, there would be oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil.
Its possible, but the 60 + PSI oil pressure pushing into the coolant will show up first and faster. You will see oil pushing out the 16 lb radiator cap.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water