Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #15

The only place where the black tank and fresh water come together that I can
think of is the black tank rinse / flusher .

That system has a back flow preventer that is usually located in the bathroom
vanity .

Some people leave the flusher hooked up all the time with the hose attached
to one of those Y valves from the garden dept .

The flusher hose goes on one side of the Y and fresh water hose on the other side .
There may be a small possibility of contamination that way .

Do you leave the tank flusher hooked up all the time ?

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2018, 05:16 AM   #16

I don't believe it could have anything to do with your Aqua-Hot, it doesn't hold any hot water. There is only a coil that the potable water flows through picking up the heat from the boiler fluid.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #17
DDL

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi Ray, there is a dual tap set up on this water line stack with two independent valve controllers (not the V-type valve that hooks up to one output line). We have two separate hoses (both white drinking water hoses) hooked up all the time; one going to city water input in the Service Center bay and the second hooking up to the black tank flush input in the same service bay. The only time I turn on the black tank flush line is when I dump and have the black tank drain valve pulled open. The city water input line I leave on all the time. Is it possible there is some contamination happening out of plain view when I dump and flush? This sulphur/rotten egg smell is coming out of the fresh water output taps in the coach, even when that flush line is off.
DDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #18

Check your fresh water hose if it’s been in the sun for a while it can grow all kinds of nasty stuff I change mine every year
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
What year is your coach? I've also noticed the water smells from the bathroom faucet, but only when you first turn the cold water on.

Our coach has a Watts double cannister water filter system and the first time I changed the filters it leaked badly. I had to take out the large black rubber washer that comes with the new filters and then the leak stopped. I use a 10" spun glass cartridge in the first filter and a 10" carbon cartridge in the second (ordered on Amazon). This does a pretty good job of reducing the smell from the water.
Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDL View Post
Hi Ray, there is a dual tap set up on this water line stack with two independent valve controllers (not the V-type valve that hooks up to one output line). We have two separate hoses (both white drinking water hoses) hooked up all the time; one going to city water input in the Service Center bay and the second hooking up to the black tank flush input in the same service bay. The only time I turn on the black tank flush line is when I dump and have the black tank drain valve pulled open. The city water input line I leave on all the time. Is it possible there is some contamination happening out of plain view when I dump and flush? This sulphur/rotten egg smell is coming out of the fresh water output taps in the coach, even when that flush line is off.

I can't say it's impossible for cross contamination to happen but IMHO
it would be very remote .
As I see it , it would take a failure of the backflow preventer and just
the right manipulation of the valves ( both open ) and the water would
need to be turned off or lose pressure in the park system .
Even if that happened I think it would take quite a lot of contamination
for you to actually see it in the water color .

I have heard of people having this rotten egg smell but I think it
was those that had tank type water heaters .
Aqua hot usually doesn't seem to have that problem .

When you flushed the coach did you use enough bleach and leave
the solution through out the system for a while ?

Here's what I think is happening .
You mentioned the casita has a shower , sink and toilet .
Are you perhaps using the casita mostly and the Yuma water
is sitting stored in the coach pipes etc till it fouls and takes on an odor ?

Ray
Old 04-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #21
DDL

Hi Ray, yes that’s entirely possible. We use the sinks in the coach for dish cleanup and use the toilet during the night. Otherwise we’re in the casita. I think I need to do the bleach rinse again and we’ll ensure we let it sit for a longer period of time once we confirm it has made it’s way through the system. Hopefully that works.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:34 PM   #22
DDL

Yes, the water hose has been exposed to the sun since last November. A new water hose is in order.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:36 PM   #23
DDL

Ours is a 2000. We just purchased the same filters today and I’ll be installing them tomorrow. Hopefully that helps toward the end solution, which might be a combination of a few things.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced our water filters last night.
I used this spun polypropylene filter in the first cartidge (with no black washers):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used this carbon filter in the second cannister with only 1 black washer on the top of the filter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In just replacing the filters our water quality is much improved.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #25
DDL

Thanks Vito. I will definitely order these up. I ended up compressing the woven filter I had enough to hacksaw about a 1/4” off the inner plastic housing. The carbon filter had some removable spacers and between the two, I was able to get them snugged down and so far the odour seem under control.
Thanks for your help on this!
Kevin
Old 04-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #26

The standard size seems to be 10 inches x 2.75 inches .
You can get that size at Wal-mart or most any home center .

Measure yours and see if it requires 10 " with a hole thru the
center .

If by chance yours requires an odd size it might be worth changing
to a popular / common size system .

Ray
Old 04-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #27
DDL

Thanks Ray. This system says it takes the 10” filters and they do fit the canister. I just can’t seem to make the seal without both canisters leaking constantly - even with new O Rings. Once I hacksawed off about 3/16” off one end, no issues. Definitely time to upgrade to a new system, as they’re quite reasonably priced.

Appreciate the help and advice.
Kevin
Old 04-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Hello, Try installing an inline filter at the faucet. I would put bleach in the fresh tank about a quart and fill the tank. Run some water through each fixture until you smell the bleach. Let the system sit for minimum of 24 hours to allow enough contact time for the hypochlorite to work on any bacteria in your system. Do this without filters in the system (granulated activated carbon filters don't like high doses of chlorine. dump / drain your entire system. This should effectively kill any pathogens in your system. You should be able to take a water sample to your local water agency / city municipal agency for testing, call them to verify and they will supply you with sample bottles and detailed instructions. I dose my system annually like this. Be safe don't fool with contaminated water. If you have questions feel free to PM me as I don't check in too often. I am a water distribution system manager incase you were wondering.

Best,

JW-

Edit. peeling off the rubber washers works for my GAC filters too!!

Tags
water