Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water leak 06 Endeavor

I have a water leak on the driver side front right over the driver on our coach. It don't leak inside of the compartment overhead but right in front of it. I have checked every thing in that area and can't find any place that it could be coming in. I have two questions of anyone.
1. I also just this morning, it is raining hard, that there is some driping of water coming from the roof vent, fan area over the dining room table. I was wondering if anyone thinks that the water could be running from that (inside of the ceiling) to the front and droping there. Where I park the coach the front is lower than the rear so water could run down a rail to the front. There are no leaks in between the vent and the front.
2. I was also wondering if it is possible to have a leak from the satellite dish area from where the bolts go through the roof? It seems possible to me but I don't know how they attach them.
Any and all answers would be appreciated.

Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There are all kinds of places for leaks. On mine (06 PAQ) I found that walls and top of large slide on the front curb side were not sealed to the frame on the inside edge. So if a lot of water was getting on top of the slide it would soak the ceiling and the water would drip out around the light. Also look closely at were the front cap is sealed to the roof especially on the curves at the edges where they use silicone.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Check the mounting bolts for the roof air -- They need to be tightened occasionally, & are often overlooked --Don`t remember the correct torque for the bolts -- The foam gasket depresses over time, & a leak will occur -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Bill2. I had a leak coming from the bath room fantastic vent which produced a substantial amount of water dripping from that vent during a light rain. Based on the volume of water that leaked from that light rain, I assumed that the point of entry would be obvious and easily fixed. Upon further inspection, the suspected area around the vent looked perfectly sealed with a white factory applied sealant that covered all of the seams and even feathered out along the edges. The application looked very professional and exceptionally well done. However, the sealant had not been applied to a cleaned roof surface and would lift enough to allow water to pour in. I couldn't believe how so much water could pour in through that area. It took a magnifying glass and good lighting to see that the sealant was not fully adheared to the roof surface, but merely conforming to the surface. Hope this helps..... 2007 Monaco Diplomat
IDAHO Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My Leaks Solved

My leak was around my skylite in shower. Informed of product called "THRU THE ROOF". It did an immediate job on my leak, and now it is CARRIED 100% OF THE TIME.
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Bill,

To answer your question, quite often water will enter at one point and travel a long distance before it appears inside. There are things in the ceiling that we can't see that provid a path for the water to trickle along until it exits down. As one poster has mentioned, often the seals look good but have not sealed to the roof. Check all seals on your roof and pull at them to make sure they are stuck. Traveling down the road in the rain can lift them up and let the water pour in.

Hope you find your leak. I have struggled with leaks and know where you are coming from.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
On my 2005 Adventurer, the windshield gasket on the passanger side leaks, Untill I removed the plastic inside cover I couldn't tell what was going on. On the inside there is steel framing that has a slight channel almost shaped like a "U" which can carry water whatever way the coach is leaning. Mine carried the water to the passenger post, following the wireing that goes to the running lights, those wires are duct taped to the post, the water followed behind the duct tape down through the side wall channels in the foam and came out into the passenger door panel cavity and the 12 volt phone jack cover plate!!!! When the Coach was new, the dealer told me they found a Bug in the window track and thus l
the leak. Took me Two years to find the real problem.

Good Luck!
lochmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
JDT

Bill, I had a persistent leak in our Ambassador that I fought for at least 2 years. Water came in in the left front corner under the dash. After sealing and caulking every seam in the area and installing a new seals in the air conditioner and drivers side slide, I finally pulled back the vinyl trim that covers the seams where the front cap and sidewalls go together under the drivers side window. The trim is held in place by an aluminum track that in turn is held by some screws. When I tried to remove the screws so I could caulk under the track, several of them in the area of the leak were rusted and broke in half. I used some butyl rubber caulk to seal the seams and now the leak is gone.

I know your leak if from above but if you look above the drivers window the seam continues to the roof, at least I assume it does. I took that trim off also and resealed it just for good measure.

I'm guessing that may not be your problem but I fought it for at least 2 years to include siliconing around the area where the leak was. For some reason water could still get in. The point is I thought I was doing a good job of resealing but it took taking things apart and finding rusting screws before I pinned it down.

One other thing that looked supicious was the radio antenna. Mine is just above the drivers seat. After removing the antenna there is a screw that holds the mounting bracket in place and it was kind of rusty. If you take the screw out it appears there is an open hole into the roof. Also probably not it but just another suggestion. Good luck.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Check the mounting bolts for the roof air -- They need to be tightened occasionally, & are often overlooked --Don`t remember the correct torque for the bolts -- The foam gasket depresses over time, & a leak will occur -- Bill Willard
Bill W. have you had any experience with the air conditioner leaking where the bolts tighten down personally? I am thinking that may be where mine leaked. I tightened them down, and they were really loose. The thing I am afraid of is that Dometic told me to just tighten them until they feel pretty snug. I hope I didn't get them too tight.
Bill O.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I think I have checked all of them.
Bill
Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Bill2-- Yes, I do have personal experience with a leak because of loose mounting bolts, & know of others as well -- I check them when I think of it, which is not very often -- I worked in the RV business for several years, & on PDI`s of used units, the mounting bolts was on the check list -- Not having a torque wrench, I to, just snuged them down -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
I have a water leak on the driver side front right over the driver on our coach. It don't leak inside of the compartment overhead but right in front of it. I have checked every thing in that area and can't find any place that it could be coming in. I have two questions of anyone.
1. I also just this morning, it is raining hard, that there is some driping of water coming from the roof vent, fan area over the dining room table. I was wondering if anyone thinks that the water could be running from that (inside of the ceiling) to the front and droping there. Where I park the coach the front is lower than the rear so water could run down a rail to the front. There are no leaks in between the vent and the front.
2. I was also wondering if it is possible to have a leak from the satellite dish area from where the bolts go through the roof? It seems possible to me but I don't know how they attach them.
Any and all answers would be appreciated.

Bill
Good morning Everyone,
I just wanted to let everyone know what I found for the leak on the roof of my 06 Endeavor. After putting eternabond and self leveling tape on everything up there, I found the leak was from the front air conditioner. The four long bolts that hold the air conditioner on the roof were real loose and allowing the water to run between the top roof and the sub roof and then coming down over the stearing wheel. I tightened the bolds and now no leaks. Thanks for all of the advice.
Bill