Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water leak

I have a 2002 Endeavor 3 slides. For those of you that have the same Model. The leak is in the back bed room under the drawer beside the wardrobe. If you are standing looking to the rear it is on the right the same side the slide is on. I just had new carpet installed the bed was removed they was no sign of dampness. Where it is wet is under the drawer where the Intake air inlet to turbocharger goes through the floor to the Engine it has the lovers outside, I don't know if I am describing the Intake air inlet correct or not. Thanks Roy
ROYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #2

Water leak and Mold.

Can’t help on the leaking issue but I can give you a heads-up because of the water.
In my coach, under the kitchen sink, on the “cabinet” floor, was carpet that matched the floor carpet of the coach.

When they built the coach they installed all the flooring, tile and carpet and then set all the cabinetry on top of the flooring. Much faster and thus cheaper to build the coach that way.

In this case when the sink plumbing leaks the water soaks the cabinet floor carpet and then drains down to the carpet under the cabinet in the dead space.
There is no ventilation for the area under the cabinets and there is a layer of carpet then a layer of foam and finely the chipboard subflooring.
When this area gets wet it is a perfect environment for Mold to grow.
When I removed the cabinet floor there was mold on top of the carpet, mold between the carpet and foam pad and mold between the foam pad and chipboard subfloor.

Mold can be dangerous to health and is destructive to your coach and you have no options but to get rid of it.
You really, really must get under there and smell and look.
Cut a big hole in the carpet and foam down to the subfloor.
If you find mold, stop looking and start reading.
You need a bunch of knowledge and these two web sites are a very good place to start your education on mold eradication.

Do the Google dance:
1. HowStuffWorks “How to test for Toxic Mold”.
2. Concrobium.com.

Within reason, mold eradication can be a DIY job but you must go with knowledge and caution.

I have a two more steps two go before I can put my mold eradication program to rest then I can say I been there, done that and don’t want to do it again.

You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands.
If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
bobrw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When do you see the? In rain, while driving or when you wash the coach.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Roybuck,

Here is something else you may want to check.

On my 07 Diplomat I was having trouble finding a leak on each side of the rear cap that showed up when looking up from the ground at the seam between the rear cap and the main body. That seam always got wet when it rained, and it looked like the water was coming out at a level about even with the floor of the coach. I also found some wetness under the drawers on the street side of the rear closet, and under the washer/dryer cabinet on the curb side.

I finally think I found the leak. I believe it was water traveling down the trim strip that covers where the roof fiberglass overlaps the sidewall and then curves down to the bottom of the coach, covering the seam between the rear cap and the sidewall. Water was draining out of this channel at the bottom where it wraps under the coach.

This trim strip consists of a channel screwed to the coach with a plastic cover. I found water inside this trim that I think was coming in from along the top of it, where I found cracked sealant. So, I scraped the entire length of this trim strip on both sides of the coach and sealed it with ProFLex. I think it stopped my leak - but will know for sure this winter.

I also found that where this trim strip curves down to the driver's window, it was channeling water behind the window frame which was then leaking down to the floor to the left of the driver's seat. I sealed this area and the window as well. That stopped the leak in that area.

I have read that monaco coaches are prone to leak from this trim strip coming loose due to broken or rusted screws that hold it and the roof to the sidewall. Some have said that the slideout toppers eventually pull this seam apart due to their spring tension.

I plan to remove the plastic strip and drive stainless steel screws or shoot stainless steel pop rivets down the entire length of the coach and then reseal this entire area. The only challenge I see is that removing the plastic cover will probably crack the paint, so I may wind up replacing the cover and repainting it (PITA).

Anyway, I am not sure whether you have checked this area out, but it could be where your water is coming from. You should be able to see the water coming out at the bottom of the trim strip where it wraps under the rear of the coach on both sides.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #5

Roybuck I have a 2002 diplomat, the air intake panel is designed to allow water to enter. There is a catch tray and drain hose coming off intake. The drain runs below, where the canister is for the air filter. Make sure the drain is clear. Additionally if you remove the grill on the air intake you will see the sidewal structure. The water can run around the edges and penetrate the wall. I removed the grill and wrapped eternabond like a u channel around the entire opening. You can't see the eternabond because it's covered when you reinstall the grill. I'm assuming that the endeavor and diplomat are the same except the names
Old 09-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Water Leak

I would like to thank all for there comments and suggestions. I got back on top found a crake in the caulk where the back cap joins the rest of the top, it wasn't there before ( I didn't see it) I had the MH detailed the other day maybe them standing on it made it flex enough for the crack to get bigger, I put eternabond tape on, so will wait until it rains no problem that is all it has done here this year. If that don't work will check what tomgagne suggested. Again Thanks Royt
ROYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak