Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water Leak at City Water Inlet - 1997 Monaco Executive

I have a 1997 Monaco Executive with a leak at the city water inlet connection. I have been unable to find any posts or pictures of my connection in order to try any repairs. Here is a picture of my situation:

Can help?

Thanks,
Cerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Water Inlet Leak.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	784.5 KB
ID:	21637  
Cerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #2

Is that your water pressure reducer? If so, Iv'e seen those get old and leak.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have no idea what that is. How can I tell?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #4

Disconnect the water line (water hose), and with a pair of channel lock plyers, clamp on to the top half if that part thats leaking water and try to unscrew it. (counter clockwise). If it comes off, go to an RV supply store and get a replacement. Looks like a water presure reducer to me, if it is, replace it with a quality one, not a cheap $5 Wal-Mart special.

Best of luck.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
The picture you posted looks a lot like the way my '03 Dynasty did a week or so ago. The device on mine was the pressure regulator all right, probably the same as yours.

The thing you labelled "quick connect" is probably part of the regulator; looks like it is screwed in to a male brass quick connect, perhaps there's a washer there that's leaking. First question... can you unscrew the male quick connect? if so... you may merely find a bad washer... the washer inside the female end left on the coach (the thing you label as "quick connect".) I think that's part of the pressure regulator. The part you label as "stationery" is probably the rest of the pressure regulator. That screws in to either a female fitting (or maybe a check valve) then on to the rest of the plumbing.

If the pressure regulator itself is bad, you may need to unscrew the "stationery" part.. second question" Can you get to the fitting above it to be sure it does not spin while you unscrew the pressure regulator?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to both RVluvin and rpasetto! I opened the panel above and found that the top of the pressure regulator is screwed into what I think is an adapter fitting between the plastic line into the coach and the pipe fitting end of the pressure regulator. It does not spin. However, before replacing, I will make sure that what I am calling an adapter is not actually a check valve (thanks rpasetto for letting me know that possibility!). It looks like the pressure regulator currently in use (and leaking) is a Marshall brand. It has served me well for over 10 years. There is only room for a regulator that is straight - doesn't have a guage or anything protruding to the side like the Watts regulators. Are there any straight regulators that have the check valve included in the unit? I have been looking at the Marshall brand and the Valterra brand for a replacement. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks to rpasetto for suggesting that I check the washer between the quick connect and the pressure regulator. It would be great if that is the problem! I'll post the results of checking the washer.

Thanks again to both of you for responding to my questions.
Cerry
Old 06-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I replaced mine with a regulator made by Valterra; they have a lower-restriction, higher flow rate model that's a few bucks more.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Finally (after the rain stopped) replaced the washer between the pressure regulator and the quick connect. That didn't stop the leak, so I will be replacing the pressure regulator when we return home in about 2 weeks. Thanks again for all the help!

Cerry
Old 06-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
water hose inlet leak 1998 Windsor

Cerry--did the pressure regulator replacement fix the leak? Or was there a check valve that needed to be replaced? I have a similar setup in my Monaco Windsor 1998. No regulator, just a loose spinning female connection. Seems like there is a faulty check valve inside there because when I disconnected the hose I got lots of water coming out of the female opening, into the out of the hose. I'm not sure yet how I would replace the checkvalve but I'm going to try to disassemble tonight. I very much prefer my old camper setup with a gravity fill for the tank and an outside RV water connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water hose.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	22458  
cabinman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Everyone,
We finally replaced the water regulator. When we purchased the Valterra regulator from our local RV dealer (with a shop), we were told that water regulators act as check valves. When we actually replaced the regulator, we found that the old regulator was screwed into a check valve. Because we don't think that we are having problems with the check valve and we needed the length that the check valve added to make our new regulator hang below the enclosed area properly, we just screwed the new regulator into the old check valve. All seems to work well and we no longer have a leak at the water inlet (original problem). Sorry we took so long to get to our repairs. We have had alternating 100+ degree weather or heavy rains! Anyway all is good now.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread!

Cerry
Old 07-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Cabinman83,
I'm certainly no expert, but it seems that if you add a water regulator to an already faulty (and leaking) check valve that your check valve will continue to be faulty and leak. I would replace the check valve. As for the water regulator, we get some comfort knowing that the coach itself has that feature - it seems that adding a water regulator in your case is certainly your choice.

Good Luck!

Cerry
Old 07-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
thanks, cerry. I just don't like this design where you are connecting and disconnecting a water hose within the compartment. I ended up running a short hose down from the intake into the neighboring compartment and through the floor so I could add a water filter inside the compartment and keep the city water connection on the outside. So far, the regular I added has done the job and I haven't had any problems. Also, I put a "Y" so I can attach an external pump (I have an old pool cover pump) in case I want to pump in a chlorinated mix.
cabinman83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, monaco, water