Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2019, 06:46 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Water Leaks driving me crazy

Not really a question in here just ranting. We bought this bus from and older man that kept it in a covered barn and rarely used it. In hindsight I now realize by some of the things he said he didn't know how to use it. Apparently he bought it from someone that never used it but left it sitting outside for a long time. The roof had been resealed with clear proflex and you could see the severe cracking of the old sealant underneath. There were some minor water stains on the interior ceiling but nothing catastrophic so I wasn't overly concerned. After getting it home every slide out leaked when extended and 2 leaked when closed. I resealed the roof and that solved one of those. After pulling all the old carpet the age of those leaks was apparent. I decided to replace all the wiper and exterior bulb seals on the slides. In the process the slide awning toppers must be replaced also. After pulling the topper for the front passenger slide there must have been a 5 gallon bucket of leaves, sticks, pecan shells ... crammed under the slide wiper seals. Well at least I know why that's leaking. After cleaning that up, replacing the bulb seal, resealing the front top of the slide wall, and replacing the completely destroyed wiper under the slide. (still waiting on the new wiper seal to be delivered) everything looks perfect. I get up this morning after a nights rain and bam more water under the slideout in the area where the mechanism sits. Where could it be coming from . When I started tearing into this I was very overwhelmed with finding problem on top of problem that had to be repaired before I could repair what I was working on. Now at least I feel like I am on the way up albeit slowly. After this weekend I will have one slide sealed and only 3 to go It will not beat me or bankrupt me I will prevail ! Thanks for listening
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 06:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I feel the same way at times with all of the problems I continue to find and some I haven't been able to figure out yet...
Old 05-30-2019, 07:00 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you are well on the way to making it work. I also rant. RV'ing is a constant game of repair catch up for me too. We bought a used DP with a decent pedigree thinking it would get better......Nope. Dashboard burst into flames, brakes quit, batteries dead ect. They have that camera on the back so you can see if the parts that fall off are worth stopping for. We love it so much we are going full timing. RVers who turn their own nuts are a special breed. See you on the road.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's a steep learning curve. Welcome to the club!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Does your slide roofs have Eternabond around the perimeter?

If it's original, it's likely overdue to be replaced. I can see the edges starting to lift on my '08. Wish I had been replacing it as I was doing slide toppers !!
Old 05-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
"They have that camera on the back so you can see if the parts that fall off are worth stopping for."

So that's why my previous camera was stuck in the full-down position .

It will get better... or so that's what they keep telling me . You're not alone!
Old 05-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Leaks are extremely frustrating.... they might be originating completely away from what you think initially. I think many of us have been through this... just keep at it, you will find it eventually.

I had a slide leak on bedroom... for the longest time I thought it was the wipers or some part of the slide seal itself... one day on the roof I noticed a hairline crack in the fiberglass crown right by the roof/wall seam.... fixed that and resealed that seam thing and no more leaks. It didn't help that Monaco has the slide toppers anchored to that seam bead thing and it was pulling it away from the wall breaking the silicone seal.

It was wicking down behind the fiberglass... and found it's way to the slide channel aluminum that covers the wall opening and was exiting right out of the bottom corner onto the inside floor carpeting. It totally looked like the slide was leaking but it wasn't the slide at all. Frustrating as can be!!!
Old 05-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
Leaks are extremely frustrating.... they might be originating completely away from what you think initially. I think many of us have been through this... just keep at it, you will find it eventually.

I had a slide leak on bedroom... for the longest time I thought it was the wipers or some part of the slide seal itself... one day on the roof I noticed a hairline crack in the fiberglass crown right by the roof/wall seam.... fixed that and resealed that seam thing and no more leaks. It didn't help that Monaco has the slide toppers anchored to that seam bead thing and it was pulling it away from the wall breaking the silicone seal.

It was wicking down behind the fiberglass... and found it's way to the slide channel aluminum that covers the wall opening and was exiting right out of the bottom corner onto the inside floor carpeting. It totally looked like the slide was leaking but it wasn't the slide at all. Frustrating as can be!!!
That sounds exactly like one of my leaks I will inspect it a little closer when I get to that one.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:09 PM   #9

Good luck, it's a labor of love, or that's what they tell me.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:54 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
"They have that camera on the back so you can see if the parts that fall off are worth stopping for."

So that's why my previous camera was stuck in the full-down position .

It will get better... or so that's what they keep telling me . You're not alone!
And if it doesn't get better we learn to handle it.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 06-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #11

Easy Fix

One easy thing to check is the Air Conditioner bolts that compress the foam gasket to the roof. As the foam becomes compressed at the same level of tightness over time, it begins to lose it's sealing capabilities. My Dometic/Duo Therm units have 4 hold-down bolts that compress the foam gasket seal. Tightening them was easy and the front one turned out to be the culprit. The leak that showed up was 5 ft. away from the AC unit since, as always, the water migrates to the first area it can escape. Worth a try.....
bluetoad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
They have that camera on the back so you can see if the parts that fall off are worth stopping for.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I am going to finish replacing all the slide seals and awning toppers then take it for a Seal Tech pressure test. Hopefully this will at least give me some guidance. If it does it will be well worth the $300.00. I can't put the new carpet in until I know it is not going to leak and I can't decide to sell it or keep it until I get the carpet in or I will lose a ton of money. The thing that makes this harder is we have a 5'er that has nothing wrong with it, is paid for, and we love the layout in but somebody (me) felt like having a DP would be cool.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:25 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Does your slide roofs have Eternabond around the perimeter?

If it's original, it's likely overdue to be replaced. I can see the edges starting to lift on my '08. Wish I had been replacing it as I was doing slide toppers !!
Another place I didn't check!

Tags
leak, leaks, water, water leak