Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I buried this issue in a previous post, but thought I would reach out again. When I turn my water pump on, my hose on the reel fills up and pressurizes. There appears to be a check valve that isn't checking.

I called Monaco Tech Support and asked them about it, but the guy I talked to said that he was not familiar with any check valves in the system, and he couldn't find anything in any of his drawings. Seems a little odd, as there must be something in there to prevent the hose from pressurizing when you have the water pump on.

I suppose I need to tear that panel out, but was hoping that someone else may have some experience with this before I do any demolition on that compartment.

Thanks -

kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I buried this issue in a previous post, but thought I would reach out again. When I turn my water pump on, my hose on the reel fills up and pressurizes. There appears to be a check valve that isn't checking.

I called Monaco Tech Support and asked them about it, but the guy I talked to said that he was not familiar with any check valves in the system, and he couldn't find anything in any of his drawings. Seems a little odd, as there must be something in there to prevent the hose from pressurizing when you have the water pump on.

I suppose I need to tear that panel out, but was hoping that someone else may have some experience with this before I do any demolition on that compartment.

Thanks -

kev

Old 05-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #3

Your correct. There should be a check ball at the hose connection. If you look closely at the city water hose connector, there should be a check ball just inside the connector that holds the pressure back when using the onboard pump. If you turn the pump on, there should not be any water coming out of this connector.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by justlou:
Your correct. There should be a check ball at the hose connection. If you look closely at the city water hose connector, there should be a check ball just inside the connector that holds the pressure back when using the onboard pump. If you turn the pump on, there should not be any water coming out of this connector. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great - thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to access the area behind the hose reel? I am not looking forward to that, but maybe that will be a good time to replace my hose anyway.

Thanks again - I will be sure to post up pictures of parts and bloody knuckles once I am done

--kev

Old 05-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Kev,

The check ball is in the hose connection just like justlou says. The check valve is suppose to keep water from entering your city connection when you are dry camping with the pump. I had a truck camper that would leak water at the unused hose connection when the pump was turned on. It was that check valve causing the leak which would cycle the pump as the pressure dropped. I purchased a new input hose connection at Camping World but when I went to replace it I found out all I needed to do was clean some trash out of the check valve.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Kev...There is a post somewhere that shows how Monaco cut a slot to get to that hose reel. I think all we need to do now is remove a plate to get to that area...Either do a search or check my Misc photos. I will also try to post the photo when I get caught up (search replace hose reel-maybe )

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
Kev...There is a post somewhere that shows how Monaco cut a slot to get to that hose reel. I think all we need to do now is remove a plate to get to that area...Either do a search or check my Misc photos. I will also try to post the photo when I get caught up (search replace hose reel-maybe )

MM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, I remember seeing that picture. I will just remove the whole panel so that I can do some other housekeeping behind there. I want to re-route some wires, as well as replace the hose on the reel. Its a pain to remove, but I've done it before, so at least I know some of the tricks

--kev

Old 05-31-2008, 09:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I will just remove the whole panel so that I can do some other housekeeping behind there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Kev, while you've got that cover off, SeeLeveL makes a much more reliable tank monitoring system than the OEM system from Monaco. Lots of model choices to choose from.

(Just thought you'd appreciate the reminder... in case you've got some money left over to spend after filling up the fuel tank. )
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
SacsTC does not lie. I did install last year. I am getting a constant 96% on my grey tank, so I am going to make sure all of my wiring is in order when I am in there. The factory guy showed me that I need to tape my wires off to the side (make sure they are not crossing the sensor), so I will do that as well.

Searching for this valve did make me clean out my water pump inlet filter. Good thing - cause it had a lot of plastic shavings in there. One good thing came of this already

--kev

Old 05-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can you actually reach the filter?? Seems like mine is quite a ways back up in there.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's not that bad to reach, Sacs. And it's easy to clean. Just twists on and off. I did mine this Spring when I de-winterized.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I may have a little different configuration as the Dip, but mine was real easy to get to, and the filter was towards the front of the assembly. Just a quick twist and it comes off.

I had shavings and gunk in mine. Cleaned it out and lubed the o-ring with silicone. Haven't noticed any pressure difference, but nice to know it is clean.

Oh, and my hose finally burst last week or so. I had been watching this big buldge for quite a while, and it finally had enough. I wanted to see how long it would actually last I noticed it just before leaving Texas in March, and it lasted until last week.

--kev