RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 40,731
Water, water everywhere!

This is really strange! One of our members requested that I send him pics of the electrical compartment behind the battery compartment on the passenger side of our Windsor.

When I opened the access door a HUGE amount of water poured out! We had a lot of rain today from a storm front that moved through, but the seal around the compartment was good and I can't figure out how that much water got in! From the watermarks on the sides I would say there was about 3" of water in the bottom. If fact, I'm sure it was up on the slideout control board. I'm gonna let the board dry out good before trying the slideouts and hope it didn't damage it.

Anybody have any ideas how that water got in there?

UPDATE! Think I found the problem! The seal had pulled away from the upper right corner and I didn't notice it. It's still hard to imagine that much water coming through that small crack!

I used RV/Marine Goop to reseal the rubber seal and also drilled a couple of 5/16" drain holes in the bottom, just in case! Yes, I know that dust can come up through those holes but we rarely drive on dirt roads so don't think it will be a problem.
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jayco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,051
You could put one way rubber duckbill plugs in your drilled holes. Lets the water out but won't let dust or water in.
__________________

__________________
DonavonP
2016 Jayco White Hawk 27dsrl
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 diesel 4x4 Sold because of stroke on 6/12/19
US Army 1968-70 SETAF 559th HHD S4
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
johnhicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wandering below the Gnat Line
Posts: 1,038
Make sure your batteries didn't boil that water out. Probably not, but better safe...

Also, on my rig water can be thrown into the battery trays while driving in the rain.
__________________
-jbh-
johnhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
RobRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This is really strange! One of our members requested that I send him pics of the electrical compartment behind the battery compartment on the passenger side of our Windsor.

When I opened the access door a HUGE amount of water poured out! We had a lot of rain today from a storm front that moved through, but the seal around the compartment was good and I can't figure out how that much water got in! From the watermarks on the sides I would say there was about 3" of water in the bottom. If fact, I'm sure it was up on the slideout control board. I'm gonna let the board dry out good before trying the slideouts and hope it didn't damage it.

Anybody have any ideas how that water got in there?

UPDATE! Think I found the problem! The seal had pulled away from the upper right corner and I didn't notice it. It's still hard to imagine that much water coming through that small crack!

I used RV/Marine Goop to reseal the rubber seal and also drilled a couple of 5/16" drain holes in the bottom, just in case! Yes, I know that dust can come up through those holes but we rarely drive on dirt roads so don't think it will be a problem.

Good news!

Perhaps you might duct tape up or install rubber grommets in the holes you drilled for now and then water test with a spray nozzle from a hose to be sure .... spray around the door and from underneath both....it's always easier to know now and dedal with it.... than later.

I like the duckbill drain grommets idea that someone else mentioned.

Happy Trails
__________________
2004 HR Navagator 500 ISM
RobRoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
windsorbill's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This is really strange! One of our members requested that I send him pics of the electrical compartment behind the battery compartment on the passenger side of our Windsor.

When I opened the access door a HUGE amount of water poured out! We had a lot of rain today from a storm front that moved through, but the seal around the compartment was good and I can't figure out how that much water got in! From the watermarks on the sides I would say there was about 3" of water in the bottom. If fact, I'm sure it was up on the slideout control board. I'm gonna let the board dry out good before trying the slideouts and hope it didn't damage it.

Anybody have any ideas how that water got in there?

UPDATE! Think I found the problem! The seal had pulled away from the upper right corner and I didn't notice it. It's still hard to imagine that much water coming through that small crack!

I used RV/Marine Goop to reseal the rubber seal and also drilled a couple of 5/16" drain holes in the bottom, just in case! Yes, I know that dust can come up through those holes but we rarely drive on dirt roads so don't think it will be a problem.
Joe,

What is above the door? Any chance the water is coming off the roof, down the outside of the coach and hitting the door seal? 3" seems like a lot of water. Just wondering if you can deflect it from the roof somehow.
__________________
Bill & Brigitte
06 Windsor PRQ, Cummins 400 ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
RobRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,225
Could the water issue in the run box have been related to your Headlight issue and part failure?
__________________
2004 HR Navagator 500 ISM
RobRoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 40,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Make sure your batteries didn't boil that water out. Probably not, but better safe...

Also, on my rig water can be thrown into the battery trays while driving in the rain.
My batteries are in a separate compartment.
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 40,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Joe,

What is above the door? Any chance the water is coming off the roof, down the outside of the coach and hitting the door seal? 3" seems like a lot of water. Just wondering if you can deflect it from the roof somehow.
I'm sure a lot of it was running off the roof! We had the hardest rain I have ever see around here!

That section of the compartment is probably about 24" wide x 8" deep, so it wouldn't take that much water to fill it to 3".
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 40,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Could the water issue in the run box have been related to your Headlight issue and part failure?
Don't know of anything back there related to the headlights. Hopefully the SmartWheel controller that I have on the way will solve that issue!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
RobRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Don't know of anything back there related to the headlights. Hopefully the SmartWheel controller that I have on the way will solve that issue!


Happy Trails
__________________
2004 HR Navagator 500 ISM
RobRoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
windsorbill's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm sure a lot of it was running off the roof! We had the hardest rain I have ever see around here!

That section of the compartment is probably about 24" wide x 8" deep, so it wouldn't take that much water to fill it to 3".
Not sure if your's is like mine, but I have a piano hinge across the top. I could see where if that seal had a gap, or came apart, water would get in .

I think I'll inspect mine a little closer next time.
__________________
Bill & Brigitte
06 Windsor PRQ, Cummins 400 ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 40,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Not sure if your's is like mine, but I have a piano hinge across the top. I could see where if that seal had a gap, or came apart, water would get in .

I think I'll inspect mine a little closer next time.
I have the piano hinge also!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water, water, everywhere... BobJones Monaco Owner's Forum 89 11-27-2019 05:58 AM
Water water everywhere bilb2765 Class C Motorhome Discussions 6 06-20-2018 07:13 PM
Water water everywhere ! Bobb.25 Rexhall RV Owner's Forum 2 01-06-2016 07:44 AM
Water, water everywhere!! smlranger Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 3 05-13-2011 09:48 AM
Water Water Everywhere (NOW MUD AND BRICK TOO) Rick A iRV2.com General Discussion 9 06-27-2006 09:10 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×