RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Water, water everywhere!

This is really strange! One of our members requested that I send him pics of the electrical compartment behind the battery compartment on the passenger side of our Windsor.

When I opened the access door a HUGE amount of water poured out! We had a lot of rain today from a storm front that moved through, but the seal around the compartment was good and I can't figure out how that much water got in! From the watermarks on the sides I would say there was about 3" of water in the bottom. If fact, I'm sure it was up on the slideout control board. I'm gonna let the board dry out good before trying the slideouts and hope it didn't damage it.

Anybody have any ideas how that water got in there?

UPDATE! Think I found the problem! The seal had pulled away from the upper right corner and I didn't notice it. It's still hard to imagine that much water coming through that small crack!

I used RV/Marine Goop to reseal the rubber seal and also drilled a couple of 5/16" drain holes in the bottom, just in case! Yes, I know that dust can come up through those holes but we rarely drive on dirt roads so don't think it will be a problem.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
You could put one way rubber duckbill plugs in your drilled holes. Lets the water out but won't let dust or water in.

US Army 1968-70 SETAF 559th HHD S4
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:44 PM   #3

Make sure your batteries didn't boil that water out. Probably not, but better safe...

Also, on my rig water can be thrown into the battery trays while driving in the rain.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This is really strange! One of our members requested that I send him pics of the electrical compartment behind the battery compartment on the passenger side of our Windsor.

When I opened the access door a HUGE amount of water poured out! We had a lot of rain today from a storm front that moved through, but the seal around the compartment was good and I can't figure out how that much water got in! From the watermarks on the sides I would say there was about 3" of water in the bottom. If fact, I'm sure it was up on the slideout control board. I'm gonna let the board dry out good before trying the slideouts and hope it didn't damage it.

UPDATE! Think I found the problem! The seal had pulled away from the upper right corner and I didn't notice it. It's still hard to imagine that much water coming through that small crack!

I used RV/Marine Goop to reseal the rubber seal and also drilled a couple of 5/16" drain holes in the bottom, just in case! Yes, I know that dust can come up through those holes but we rarely drive on dirt roads so don't think it will be a problem.

Good news!

Perhaps you might duct tape up or install rubber grommets in the holes you drilled for now and then water test with a spray nozzle from a hose to be sure .... spray around the door and from underneath both....it's always easier to know now and dedal with it.... than later.

I like the duckbill drain grommets idea that someone else mentioned.

Happy Trails
Old 01-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Joe,

What is above the door? Any chance the water is coming off the roof, down the outside of the coach and hitting the door seal? 3" seems like a lot of water. Just wondering if you can deflect it from the roof somehow.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #6

Could the water issue in the run box have been related to your Headlight issue and part failure?
Old 01-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Make sure your batteries didn't boil that water out. Probably not, but better safe...

Also, on my rig water can be thrown into the battery trays while driving in the rain.
My batteries are in a separate compartment.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Joe,

What is above the door? Any chance the water is coming off the roof, down the outside of the coach and hitting the door seal? 3" seems like a lot of water. Just wondering if you can deflect it from the roof somehow.
I'm sure a lot of it was running off the roof! We had the hardest rain I have ever see around here!

That section of the compartment is probably about 24" wide x 8" deep, so it wouldn't take that much water to fill it to 3".

Old 01-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Could the water issue in the run box have been related to your Headlight issue and part failure?
Don't know of anything back there related to the headlights. Hopefully the SmartWheel controller that I have on the way will solve that issue!

Old 01-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Don't know of anything back there related to the headlights. Hopefully the SmartWheel controller that I have on the way will solve that issue!

Happy Trails
Old 01-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I'm sure a lot of it was running off the roof! We had the hardest rain I have ever see around here!

That section of the compartment is probably about 24" wide x 8" deep, so it wouldn't take that much water to fill it to 3".
Not sure if your's is like mine, but I have a piano hinge across the top. I could see where if that seal had a gap, or came apart, water would get in .

I think I'll inspect mine a little closer next time.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Not sure if your's is like mine, but I have a piano hinge across the top. I could see where if that seal had a gap, or came apart, water would get in .

I think I'll inspect mine a little closer next time.
I have the piano hinge also!

Tags
water