Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Weather intrusion under my Beaver

Greetings:
2002 Beaver Monterey Sea-cliff

While going through my RV for any issues to fix before a long journey, Ya-know the stuff I should have done before buying it, I found an odd thing under the main slide out.

Under the main slide out, living area, is a plastic/hard clear rubber that is covering the gap between the under side of slide out and main floor.

(bottom pic is upside down- light wood is cabinet; metal is slide out floor; area of light is the plastic separating the outside under slideout; then the tile floor for kitchen)

It is held on by screws and I cannot help to feel that something is missing. Less the part not being attached at the moment.

Does anyone have the name/part number to order?
Perhaps an idea of a better solution to replace/add to?

From what I see it doesn't look like it came that way from factory, but who knows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4187.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	122149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3203.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	122156  

LifeNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Another picture

Another photo of seal under main slide.

Looks like the plastic was a way to hide or fix a seal damage.
this sooooo sucks.

I am a bit saddened by the work ahead of me/Cost to have a dealer do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4200.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	122159  
Old 03-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Yeah, it looks like the original seal was damaged.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Yeah, it looks like the original seal was damaged.
The difficulty in getting to the location tells me it will be expensive.

Or I can try!

my head hurts.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #5

Yep. I had to replace that same rubber strip on our rig. And I can tell you that what you are seeing is not the way it came from the factory. The factory used a metal support strip that is about two to two and a half inches tall and rivets to hold that seal in place. There were no screws involved. And a second look at the first photo shows that whoever did your replacement seal have a lot of attach point missing in their reassembly.

Your best source for the strip and replacement rubber is Beaver Coach Sales & Service in Bend, OR (800-382-2597) These guys were co-located with the Bend factory when Beavers were constructed there and still have the best knowledge of what parts are needed for Beaver repairs. The metal trim is actually in two pieces if I remember correctly.

Whoever did your original repair had to drill out all the rivets that held the old seal in place. Hopefully, they did not enlarge the holes in the process. I was very careful on ours to only drill out the heads and knock the rest into the hollow frame member. On our rig the last four rivets on each end were actually set into the wooden sub-floor. I used some wood stabilizer on this area to get it back up to strength.

You will need to pre-drill the metal cover and rubber seal in order to get the rivets (or screws if you prefer) to align with the holes that exist in the frame. Since you do not have the existing metal cover to use as a template for the location of the holes for the rivets or screws for replacement you will have to work out some way of transferring the screw hole locations on the frame to a new metal cover. (Or, I guess you could just caulk over the old holes in the frame and drill completely new ones for your new replacement. I would still pre-drill the holes in metal cover and rubber seal before drilling the new holes in the frame, however.)

Now comes assembly. Unless you have two or three people working on the project, there is no way you can get the rubber to stay aligned with the metal strip and get the whole thing to stay together while you rivet it back into place unless you use the "trick" I used. What I did was get some inexpensive thin two-sided carpet tape (very sticky stuff), cut it to the width of the metal strip and attach the rubber strip to the metal strip. This makes the metal strip and the rubber strip a single unit which is the only way to keep things aligned. This also insures that you get the holes in the metal trim plate and the rubber aligned perfectly when you drill the holes for the rivets. Then I used 2' blue masking tape to hold everything into place while I was doing the riveting.

And this is the place you have to be a real contortionist. For about half the assembly you have to stretch yourself around and over the basement storage units that are attached to the slide-out. Once you get a feel for it, however, it becomes a bit easier.

This is one of the roughest repairs I have done on our rig. But, it is necessary to keep out the bugs (particularly moths) in the summer. Since I did it myself, I have no idea what someone would charge to make this repair. And I can't give you a good estimate on the time it takes since I did mine at an RV park in Las Vegas when the temps were getting into the 100's so I look a lot of rest breaks.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome!
Ill give them a call.

I will provide detailed report once I'm done with project. Need to wait till the snow is done and parts are in.

Tags
beaver