Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #1

weighted 91 Monaco Diplomat today WOW!!

Finely got around to weighing our coach for the state of TX. I was a little shocked at the weight, and the coach is empty except the fuel was 190 gal., no water or any personal belongings yet. The weight came in at front axle 10340#, and the drive 18660#, & tarer weight at 29000#, weighed at "LOVES' on the CAT scales.
So is this close with the Signature series that you own?
Now I have to find the ID plate that gives me the max axle weight per axle.
Happy travels, safe driving!
wb6epp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #2

You should go back and weigh it again with a full water tanks and loaded up ready to go on a trip and use that info for tire pressures and not that weight you just got. The tID plate should be on the wall beside the drivers seat usually anout two feet off the floor or inside a closet.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #3

Thanks Mike, I have been looking for that plate to tell me the max axle weights. Wondering if the rest of the group with the same coach comes in and around that weight.
If I could have drained about 150 gals of fuel out, I wouldn't have to pay the tax on it.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #4

Do you think you are heavy or light or just surprised? Tell us more about your my for comparison. So it is a 1991 Monaco Diplomat.......what length and model? How many slides? I wish my mh was that light.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #5

Mike; As posted before, I have a 1991 Monaco Diplomat signature series, 40 ft, no slides, single drive axle. I think you said you had the tag axle. Slides are nice, but boondocking they can be a pain to keep level. I loaned my 5th wheel to a so called friend. I guess the 5er got off level when he tried to close it up upon leaving. When it got back, I had a crack in the fiberglass where the bedroom cornor was. Was told by a tech that ocures when the coach is open or closed when the coach is in a bind.
TheM/H was a little heavier than I thought it would be. My guess was 26 to 27K. But it does ride nice. Just have to find the max axle weight. Which will be on ID plate when found.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

So with a full water tank, tools, and everything else you will probably be up around 31,500 lbs.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb6epp View Post
Finely got around to weighing our coach for the state of TX. I was a little shocked at the weight, and the coach is empty except the fuel was 190 gal., no water or any personal belongings yet. The weight came in at front axle 10340#, and the drive 18660#, & tarer weight at 29000#, weighed at "LOVES' on the CAT scales.
So is this close with the Signature series that you own?
Now I have to find the ID plate that gives me the max axle weight per axle.
Happy travels, safe driving!
You should be able to get the S/N and mfg info on both front and rear axle then you can give the mfg a call, I would bet that the rear axle weight is OK
I know that Monaco bought the Exe and diplomat names in 90 or 91 but had never heard of one being built until 98 and then it was a raise rail chassis with a ISB engine instead of the semi-monocoque chassis in the Dynasty and crown royal Sig, Tell us a little more about the coach.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb6epp View Post
If I could have drained about 150 gals of fuel out, I wouldn't have to pay the tax on it.
I thought most states set fees based on the GVWR and not on actual weights. Not true in your state?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We weighed our 93 Monaco Crown Royale with several tool boxes, some personal belongings (just did a weekend trip), a full 200 gallons of diesel and 3/4 full propane tank and it was around 3100 lbs. The exact numbers are in the coach which is about 5 miles away.
The 4Runner's sticker says it should be about 5k or more and it weighed out to about 4100 lbs with a full tank.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #10

Pyratesilly: Do you mean 31,000lbs? The weight on my front axle is more than your combined weight. My front axle is 10,340 lbs.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I thought most states set fees based on the GVWR and not on actual weights. Not true in your state?
I suspect the OP is transfering the title to a Texas title. When you transfer a vehicle into Texas and do NOT have a copy of the orginal weight sheet from the factory then they want you to have it weighed and base your vehcile registration/tag fee on that weight.

I have registered 3 out of state MHs with Texas and each time they wanted me to have the vehicle weighed. I took a photo of the sheet of paper, that was pasted on a closet door, that had all the weights and VIN# on it then printed it. I showed them what I had printed and after a little talking to the county clerk she agreed to accept the original paperwork.

Texas also just upped the fees on most heavy vehicles. Some of the lighter weight passenger cars have gone down. My tags are due on my MH in a few months and I believe they new fee will be almost 35% more than last year

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Yep you are right it is 31,000 lbs. Oops, sorry lol
Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
I suspect the OP is transfering the title to a Texas title. When you transfer a vehicle into Texas and do NOT have a copy of the orginal weight sheet from the factory then they want you to have it weighed and base your vehcile registration/tag fee on that weight.

I have registered 3 out of state MHs with Texas and each time they wanted me to have the vehicle weighed. I took a photo of the sheet of paper, that was pasted on a closet door, that had all the weights and VIN# on it then printed it. I showed them what I had printed and after a little talking to the county clerk she agreed to accept the original paperwork.

Texas also just upped the fees on most heavy vehicles. Some of the lighter weight passenger cars have gone down. My tags are due on my MH in a few months and I believe they new fee will be almost 35% more than last year
Thanks. I'm actually registered in Texas but they accepted my original paperwork a couple of years ago when we went through the process. I too noticed the increase in registration fees this year.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #14

RickO: I have been searching for that paper or tag, and nothing in the closet, or by the drivers side panel, and I have opened every cuboard door inside. So I suspect it must be outside somewhere. On the side, it gives me max load as 34,500#. I also found the book in the foldout couch. But nothing on the axles, Cummins engine [does have paper on the jake] and all acessories. So I am still looking! I am being slowed down as I am going into Horsepital soon to remove a growth on a lung, but trying to get it registered before that. I like getting a couple lights burning ( a couple I did, but they went out sitting in the drive) and of course the inspection.

Tags
monaco