Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

Weird sypmtoms...

We took our coach out for a run after doing a complete maintenance.
Tried using the dash air but it didn't work. We used the overhead built-in fans for a while but because of the heat decided to turn on the generator and run the front roof air.
We only used the roof air for the last half hour of our trip. It cooled okay but not really well. I previously cleaned all the inside filters. There seemed to be a lot of water running off the roof after we stopped. I'll have to check them out.
The weird thing is this....
The next day, both my wife and I experienced sort of dizzy symptoms and I have had blurred/double vision symptoms. No headaches or nausea etc.
Anyone experience anything similar? Could there be something in the air we should be concerned about? The coach had been sitting for a while (6months or so)before we bought it.
Thanks, Iver.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The water running off your roof is normal- the higher the humidity, the more condensate water. As far as cooling, an RV AC will only be able to bring the temperature down about 20 degrees from the ambient temp- you can't expect them to work like a central air system- i.e. if its 105 degrees out, you'll be doing well to see 85 inside.

Besides cleaning the inside filters, you also need to climb up on the roof annually and clean dust and crud off the coils and make sure all the little fins are straight- this can make a big difference in cooling.

As far as your symptoms- I'm sure you've considered an exhaust leak already, but is there anything new inside? New carpets, new foam upholstery? Something that would be off-gassing?
Do you have a working carbon monoxide detector in the MH?

The original interior would have long since outgassed any volatile chemicals, but only you can know what you brought in or what kind of chemicals you've used inside.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Those little blue M&M's you found in the coach may have not been M&M's.

Maybe the previous owners used some cleaning chemicals that are just now coming out with the heat. I would also recommend cleaning those A/C filters and maybe pulling the A/C shrouds and making sure nothing built a nest in the there.

At minimum.....I would open the coach up and air it out for several hours.

As I was typing, I just remembered....years ago we were camping with my sister and they came running over to our RV at about 3:00am with a terrible odor and gas in their Class C. It took us awhile of running in and out of the coach holding our breath to find the cause. The 12 volt water pump had frozen and got red hot. Next to it was a bottle of Aqua Chem toilet chemical. The heat melted the plastic bottle and turned the Aqua Chem into a gas.

Make sure you don't have any Aqua Chem or similar chemical that tipped over in the coach.

By the way, both my B-I-L and I were sleeping in our underwear when the emergency occurred. I hope no one was watching for the next hour he and I were the only ones in the motor home with all the lights on and swinging pillows trying to air out the motor home. It may have looked strange to others.....we laugh about it now, but someone could have died if the dog hadn't gone crazy barking.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I see where you are going, and I believe it takes awhile to hurt you. Wouldnt hurt to clean the evap coils though, if your so inclined.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the things that can happen if an A/C sits unused is this: The Evaporator coils get cold, this causes water (mositure in the air) to condense out, it drips into a drip tray which then drains onto the roof. This explains the water running off the roof.

However water remains, stagnat in the pan in many cases, thius leads to mold and mildew forming in the pan, The spoors from these plants CAN cause the symptoms you cite in you and your wife.. So can many other things.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #6

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't like the idea of mold etc....
I will start doing a complete cleaning of everything I can get to.
I'm not sure where the air comes from when it blows out the vents above the windshield. It is a separate blower controlled by a switch on the dash. I can't see an intake anywhere.
Thanks, Iver
Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Might also consider looking for leaks in the generator exhaust system. You'd think if you were traveling with the generator running the air flow would keep you safe, but if there's a leak in a place close to your dash air intake, you might get exhaust fumes with carbon monoxide and other bad stuff.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Air goes from high pressure to low.. If the 'low' is inside the cab, thats where it will go.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #9

Is there any type of "safe" cleaner that a person can use to disinfect the ducting system. I don't want to use anything that is worse than what's there now.
Thanks, Iver.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
Might also consider looking for leaks in the generator exhaust system. You'd think if you were traveling with the generator running the air flow would keep you safe, but if there's a leak in a place close to your dash air intake, you might get exhaust fumes with carbon monoxide and other bad stuff.
That is a fact.. On my coach when it was new, (Does not seem so bad now days but I have not really tested it) 2 hours of generator run time when parked and the CO alarm would go off.

I added the GEN-TURI from Camco (When parked) and that fixed that. But when driving the 55mph "Breeze" took the exhaust away before it seeped in.

Your symptoms are consistant with exhaust fuems, Headache and nausea.

I might add the end symptom if you continue exposure (Which you clearly did not) is death.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Exhaust symptom would go away almost immediately, not come on the next day..
Old 07-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is true too, plus he said "NO HEADACHE" which is usually symptom #1 on the list (In te order you notice them). I misread the post the first time.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carbon monoxide poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does your carbon monoxide detector work, if, indeed, you have one?

If you don't have one, get one. I had a friend who died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote