Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #1

Wet bay heater

I am trying to replace the wet bay heater. When I originally got my rv the prior owner or dealer removed the heater. All the original wiring and harness including the snap disc is there. In my infinite wisdom, I thought it would be a simple job. 1st mistake is i bought a road pro 12 volt heater. It has just a positive and negative lead. I notice the wiring harness has three wires and a special connector on the end of the wires. Anyone install a different 12 volt heater and have any ways to wire. I really don't understand what the 3rd wire (2 yellow wires combined) to the same prong of the harness does. I saw another 12 volt heater called back seat heat that has 3 wires. Any feedback appreciated.

I was going to change the snap disc while I was at it but I was confused on that one as well. I see 1 blue wire going to one terminal of the disc and 2 yellow wires combined to the other terminal. Not sure if I should cut the lead to the blue wire and splice with 1 wire on the snap disc and the two yellow wires combined to the other lead of the snap disc. Boy this should be much simpler than this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #2

If this is any help our 2001 uses a back seat heater installed OEM.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you used a multimeter to see what each wire is doing? The snap disk can also be tested with an ice cube or a hair dryer to see when it closes and opens.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
I am trying to replace the wet bay heater. When I originally got my rv the prior owner or dealer removed the heater. All the original wiring and harness including the snap disc is there. In my infinite wisdom, I thought it would be a simple job. 1st mistake is i bought a road pro 12 volt heater. It has just a positive and negative lead. I notice the wiring harness has three wires and a special connector on the end of the wires. Anyone install a different 12 volt heater and have any ways to wire. I really don't understand what the 3rd wire (2 yellow wires combined) to the same prong of the harness does. I saw another 12 volt heater called back seat heat that has 3 wires. Any feedback appreciated.

I was going to change the snap disc while I was at it but I was confused on that one as well. I see 1 blue wire going to one terminal of the disc and 2 yellow wires combined to the other terminal. Not sure if I should cut the lead to the blue wire and splice with 1 wire on the snap disc and the two yellow wires combined to the other lead of the snap disc. Boy this should be much simpler than this.
Without a picture I can only guess - three wires - Green Ground? OR Two switches with the extra wire? One inside one outside?????

Just a guess with the limited info.

Best of luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far. I think this is specific to Monaco made coaches that don't have an aquahot system. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. I do know how the system works though which I like. There is a main switch inside the coach that will activate the heater (if the snap disc of course is is closed loop). As for a multi meter, the positive and negative leads in the harness are always hot. Seems the road pro heater is not going to work (keeping the same function) unless someone else figured out how to install it. The back seat heat could be a possibility.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Aqua Hot equipped coaches have the Cargo Heat as well.
I gave up on fixing mine and replaced it with a 300W 120V cube heater plugged into one of those Thermo Cubes, then plugged into the bay outlet.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

Wet bay heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Aqua Hot equipped coaches have the Cargo Heat as well.

I gave up on fixing mine and replaced it with a 300W 120V cube heater plugged into one of those Thermo Cubes, then plugged into the bay outlet.

Ben finally after a year,and a whole lot of wire tracing, new connectors etc my bay heating works well. Had the get a new thermostat sensor for the bay. You way was a lot cheaper in cost than what I did for sure.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #8

Yep !

I tried bypassing that thermal fuse (which was blown ), but still couldn't get the element to heat, so I gave up.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Crah,
This wiring schematic should be the same as yours, with the exception of the two power feeds. Yours will be fused from a different source.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3074.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	181805

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:12 AM   #10

Recall reading an old thread where a member wired a relay in, which converted the three wires you have, to a standard pos / neg wired heater. The system heat switches remained functional.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:24 AM   #11
YC1

This is from

Dr4Films.. I stole this from Richard years ago. It may help.

The schematic is from my 08 HR Endeavor.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bay Heater.pdf (55.7 KB, 143 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #12

I actually just went thru kind of with my cargo heater and working with Happycarz we figured it out. I looked at the fuse in the fuse panel in the bay under the drivers seat and it seemed good. I then took the control panel off in the coach and used a meter to check for 12v. Wasn’t getting it. So I went back to the bay with the fuse and checked for voltage there and found out no voltage on one side. Again checked the fuse and it was good. I pushed on the connector in the fuse bay that powers that fuse. And ...12 volts (actually 13.6) was back!! Checked the switch on the control panel...12 volts there too! Checked the heater and it was working now! Only thing not working was the light that is supposed to say that the heater was on. Probably a bad light. But I know the heater works. I hear it and see the heating element glowing. I can see where sometimes those connectors in the front can come loose a little or get corroded (just a little) after time. But sure was perplexing for a time!! But knowing how simple the wiring was knew it I should be able to find the problem. With temps here in Minnesota now in the 30s and below its good to have. Going to winterize this weekend and turn it all off.
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #13

96 Wideglide.... Do you have any pictures of your setup? Any part number or sources for the stuff you used? https://www.amazon.com/Back-Seat-Hea.../dp/B0002D6JW8 THIS?
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff-Happens View Post
96 Wideglide.... Do you have any pictures of your setup? Any part number or sources for the stuff you used? https://www.amazon.com/Back-Seat-Hea.../dp/B0002D6JW8 THIS?
No, thats a 12V heater. I replaced my Cargo Heat with a 250W 120V unit.

I used this... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I4UVGHO...509723648&sr=1

Along with this.... https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...ds=thermo+cube

Then used a short extension cord to the basement bay outlet.

Tags
heat, heater