RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Whare is my VIM

Help please I'm having an electrical problem and nee to find the VIM module in my 99 Windsor My shift pad doesn't light up nor does the motor crank

johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On my 2002 Windsor the ECU for the transmission is in the front drivers side run bay on the lower right side. Below is a picture, the #5 is the Allison Relay. Yours may be different.

There are a number of causes for your problem, you should query the site, there are several recent postings. Same thing happen to me, ended up being the ECU had to be replaced costing ~$+3K
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Electrical Panel Front Driver Side.pdf (118.2 KB, 121 views)

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #3

Thanks Jim
My Windsor is different the whole front run box is different. I know this could be expensive. Life will go on at least im not stuck on the road.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy2 View Post
Help please I'm having an electrical problem and need to find the VIM module in my 99 Windsor My shift pad doesn't light up nor does the motor crank
johnboy2
Sorry to say but your Allison VIM could be most anywhere.
Mine is in the cabin up/under the dash.
Some are in the area behind the hood and some in the engine compartment.
(I don't know about the location on a Windsor).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #5

Rejoice in a way, I found my VIM< Its all the way forward under the dash on the outside wall of the coach buried under all the cabling. The only way a mortal could get to it would be to totally remove the drivers seat and with the slide out craw in-between the steering Colom and the wall and start moving cabling. I can not think of a worse place to get to. On a brighter note this is the first poorly thought out thing I've found in the 2 years I've owned this bus.

Thanks all who helped
John
Old 11-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
John,
If there is a problem with the ECU or something else the transmission doesn't like, it won't let you start the engine.

The VIM (Vehicle Interface Module) is not the ECU. There are couple of fuses in the VIM, but they tend to be trouble-free.

The ECU on a motorhome is typically attached to the keypad. They can be expensive if you go to an Allison dealer (I was quoted $3700 for a rebuilt unit on an older MH - Parts guy said it with a straight face, too).

However, you can contact John at Transmission Instruments in Flower Mound, Tx., and he can rebuild the ECU's or keypads. He might also be able to give you some trouble shooting tips.

When mine was done, it was less than $1,000 including shipping - much better than $3,700.

Doug
SunBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #7

Doug

I know all about bad ECU's as I had one go bad on the road and paid 2600 for one and they said they were cutting me a deal. as I stated I did find the VIM but still don't know where the ECU is as it's not around the key pad. I did find a blown fuse in the rear electric cabinet that I missed so all is working again now I just have to put the cockpit back together. BTW how long was the turnaround on your ECU? Now that's its apart I'm installing a new color backup camera and monitor.

John
Old 11-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBear View Post
John,
There are couple of fuses in the VIM, but they tend to be trouble-free.
Doug
Doug
That may be true but there are 6 relays in the Allison VIM... which are definitely NOT "trouble free".

In '09, (when my engine would start but the Allison would not shift out of neutral), a bad relay in my VIM was the cause.
I pulled all 6 relays, bench tested them and found one that no longer functioned.
NOTE:
If would have pulled them one by one, tested and reinstalled the good ones, until I found the bad one and replaced it I would have been able to determine the purpose of the bad one....(however the transmission has worked perfectly for the 5 years since).

BTW, 6 years earlier, a corroded inline fuse holder near the chassis battery, (in the + wire form the battery to the VIM), cased a "no crank/no start" condition.
Cleaning the contacts in that fuse holder and replacing the fuse, (which was NOT blown), has allowed the engine to start normally for the last 11 years.

Mel
'96 Safari, MD3060 Allison, 134 kmiles

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote