Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 11:50 PM   #1

Smile What do you recommend for portable air compressor

Looking to buy air compressor to maintain tire pressure. any help will do
Thank you.
Brian:
bigbhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 05:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have not found much need to adjust air pressure much when on the road.

I have found pulling air from the onboard system the best high CFM and pressure the Biggest drawback is the engine must run and the pressure low to get it to kick on.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:19 AM   #3

I bought a small 150# pancake compressor from Lowes that works very well. Gets my steers up to 125#
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:24 AM   #4

Portable air compressor

I just got this one. It has the pressure to inflate my 22.5 tires

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-...0445/305026725

Rv safe
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
I have not found much need to adjust air pressure much when on the road.

I have found pulling air from the onboard system the best high CFM and pressure the Biggest drawback is the engine must run and the pressure low to get it to kick on.

X2

and I dont want to give up storage space.

That said Vair makes some pretty nice compact units ....pricey but good quality https://www.google.com/search?q=400p...w=1920&bih=880

Happy Trails
Old 06-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #6

air compressors

I have a compressor at the house that works great for car an pick up tires, its cut off is 120 psi, however trying to use it on my 22.5 mh tires is not that good. if the cut out psi was lets say 130 it would be better.
So prior to my buying my TPMS system I purchased a viair air compressor it works really well, I found I would drag it out every time I embarked on a journey where the tire had set for 5 or so days. However now that I have my TPMS system in a instant I can see the tire pressure does fluctuate but for the most part its only a couple pounds high or low. However this last trip to Arizona I went to higher altitude and the temp dropped to just below freezing, the tire pressure was significantly low. so while the engine was warming up I used my Viair and put all the tires back to where they were supposed to be. They are very handy to have, and the space I happily provide, just like my tire plug kit, my battery fill bottle along with a gallon of distilled water, spare light bulbs, extra fan belts, gallon of pre-mixed coolant, along with other items... CAUSE YOU JUST NEVER KNOW!
Old 06-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The way I see it, there are 3 ways to go. First is a compressor from HD, Lowes, Harbor freight, etc. They have them that are capable of 130# or more. Biggest downside is they can take up quite a bit of space, but most are reasonably priced.

Second is the Viair route. Much smaller, but more money. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0141KJTKQ...v_lig_dp_it_im

3rd is to get an air doubler and use your onboard engine driven air compressor. Easy to store, but pricey.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/air...ol-355600.html
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I started out with a Viair 12v compressor.
I used it until one of my new tag axle tires lost all the air one night. Simple fix. The valve stem was loose.
But, trying to fill a 295/80-22.5 tire from zero was too much for the Viair.
I then purchased a Dewalt pancake compressor with 165psi. It has been great. I've even used it to power a die grinder when repairing a broken shock mount. Just last week I had to repair bike tires and it's so handy having a real air compressor that you can air up to expand the tube/tire then let the air out and refill it again easily.
They are $149: https://www.ebay.com/itm/30375617751...oAAOSwVZxfpYZS
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Brian, it depends. What tires are you trying to maintain.

When I had a popup and TT, I used an inflater to top off my tires. With the MH and 22.5 inch tires I use a compressor I used for years for my nailer. I now need greater flow at higher psi.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:52 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you need to air up your steers to 115psi or more, I recommend a pancake compressor capable of at least 150psi.
Less than that is a real PITA!
Old 06-14-2021, 07:27 PM   #11

I'm trying to figure out the advantage of an air doubler. Yes it increases pressure, but I'm also pretty sure it halves CFM. My coach has an onboard compressor that produces 120 PSI if I'm not mistaken. I think it would be more advantageous to use the air from the coach rather than use a doubler. Am I missing something here.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I'm trying to figure out the advantage of an air doubler. Yes it increases pressure, but I'm also pretty sure it halves CFM. My coach has an onboard compressor that produces 120 PSI if I'm not mistaken. I think it would be more advantageous to use the air from the coach rather than use a doubler. Am I missing something here.
You are correct. Here's an article about it.

https://www.rvtechmag.com/tech/89_airbooster.php
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
If you need to air up your steers to 115psi or more, I recommend a pancake compressor capable of at least 150psi.
Less than that is a real PITA!
I agree.

The mistake I made with my first MH was getting a 100 psi rated compressor. It was adequate but took forever.

Now I need to get the steer tires to 115 psi. When I went to Lowe's planning on getting one rated at least 200 psi, a 150 model was on clearance. It gets the job done.

Also the proud owner of two digital pressure gauges.

The other mistake I made on the first MH was not reading everything I could RV tires.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:18 AM   #14

Thank you for all the input seems I have some options here so I will think about them and let you know the route ill take
again thank you
bigbhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor