Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What Fluid to use for Power Steering

My manual for the Diplomat says to use Dexron/Mercon ATF for the power steering fluid, but I just changed the PS filter and the fluid is not red but clear. Elsewhere in the manual it says to use AW-46 Hydraulic oil. I believe the hydraulic oil is clear as opposed to the Dexron/Mercon ATF. Since my fluid is clear, should I use the AW-46? Help? Confused!
tmadak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco used both at various times (snowflakes). Color is pretty good indication and the AW feels more like a motor oil than the Dexron.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, my owners manual, and chassis manual says they used Texaco AW-46, yet my fluid had a red tint to it !
Old 11-22-2019, 10:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your input! I think I'm gonna use the AW-46.
Thanks again
Tom
tmadak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #5

Yea, not certain why some have one type and others another and neither may be correct as per the owners manual.

I do however believe that the answer may be dependent upon which engine installation option was ordered with the coach.

It is just a theory but, I believe that if your engine has the hydraulic pump mounted to the "engine", you will likely use the AW-46 or even 15W-40 in some cases.

If your hydraulic pump is mounted to the "transmission" you will likely use the Dextron ATF fluid.

Reason being, fluid leakage in the pump (not if but when it happens), the oils are more compatible

I had this discussion with the legacy Monaco group in 2007 when I purchased my first Monaco and wanted to change that fluid. They explained, AW-46, light engine oil, possibly 15W-40 or ATF but offered no explanation on why different fluids were used, just to look at the color and texture

Again, just my theory about pump location driving that decision.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmadak View Post
My manual for the Diplomat says to use Dexron/Mercon ATF for the power steering fluid, but I just changed the PS filter and the fluid is not red but clear. Elsewhere in the manual it says to use AW-46 Hydraulic oil. I believe the hydraulic oil is clear as opposed to the Dexron/Mercon ATF. Since my fluid is clear, should I use the AW-46? Help? Confused!
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post

It is just a theory but, I believe that if your engine has the hydraulic pump mounted to the "engine", you will likely use the AW-46 or even 15W-40 in some cases.

If your hydraulic pump is mounted to the "transmission" you will likely use the Dextron ATF fluid.

Reason being, fluid leakage in the pump (not if but when it happens), the oils are more compatible
Certainly a possibility!

I was thinking it may depend on whether your coach came with a TRW steering box.
I was looking for information on TRW's website once, and recall reading they recommend ATF in their steering box's.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It's just hydraulic oil, not really lubricating any rubbing parts like a camshaft. I think we can use almost any light oil.

The first time I changed my fluid I used this. Mostly because it was cheap, met specs, and readily available.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...allon/15125788

The second time I used this, because it was a full synthetic, met specs, and has seal conditioners. This is $4 more per gallon and our system uses 50-55 qts.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...allon/15125768
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #8

Problem is, it's not recommended to mix hyd fluid with ATF.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
It's just hydraulic oil, not really lubricating any rubbing parts like a camshaft. I think we can use almost any light oil.

]
The hydraulic pump is a gear pump, it needs lubrication like any engine part.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, power, steering