Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
What front axle type in 2011 Camelot/Scepter?

Hi all,
Trying to compare models and wondered whether these models have a solid axle or IFS?
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You can download the brochure here:
https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-rv-brochures?y=2011
It says its a Roadmaster RR10 S-Series Chassis, so I would assume it's still a solid front axle with four air bags.
I would be more concerned about quality control under Navistar as well as if it's a Cummins or MaxxForce engine. Everything Navistar has managed for the last 25 years has gone bad.

My advice is to drop back a few years (2004-2009) and look at a Dynasty, Navigator, Executive, or Signature. If you are comfortable with a Caterpillar engine, then look at Beaver Patriot or Marquis. A Marquis will have the most beautiful wood work of any coach made regardless of price. With any of these you will get a much better coach for the same money and have fewer emission controls.

If you are set on an independent front axle look at a Newmar Dutch Star or Entegra Anthem or Aspire.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Probably splitting hairs but a Camelot:HR Scepter never came on a S-10 chassis... RR10S or in 2011 a “Cusion Air Glide suspension features ten gas-charged shocks and ten air bags, eight of which are outboard-mounted”... definitely a solid axle.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
boy, that brochure is misleading. Camelots never came with a S series, even earlier models. amazing what a "-" can do.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
For many years I thought my 04 Dynasty was on a RR10S chassis...actually a S-10. From the floor down there is not any difference that I can find. The only difference from the floor up is the S-10 has a all welded steel house structure and the RR is aluminum. From a safety standpoint maybe not splitting hairs.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:37 AM   #6

Vito hit the nail on the head. Navistar destroyed everything they touched. Monaco, Workhorse and more. I would never buy anything with a Navistar engine. The MaxForce is a disaster.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CapnDean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
For many years I thought my 04 Dynasty was on a RR10S chassis...actually a S-10. From the floor down there is not any difference that I can find. The only difference from the floor up is the S-10 has a all welded steel house structure and the RR is aluminum. From a safety standpoint maybe not splitting hairs.

I have a 2008 Camelot 42PDQ Do I have the RR10S chassis? Or is mine an S-10..... I would love to know. I do know that I have 10 air bags and 10 Shocks....
Old 01-16-2021, 11:50 AM   #8

Camelot will have the aluminum structure. Only Dynasty and up are all steel.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnDean View Post
I have a 2008 Camelot 42PDQ Do I have the RR10S chassis? Or is mine an S-10..... I would love to know. I do know that I have 10 air bags and 10 Shocks....
You would have the RR10S. That is the Roadmaster Raised Rail Chassis, it also has 10 airbags, hence the number. The S here stood for side radiator. This used raised steel rails for the main chassis and an aluminum house structure that was bolted to it.

The Roadmaster S-series all steel Semi-Monocoque chassis was used for the Dynasty, Executive and Signature, in the Monaco lineup.

Name:   EF8E23E5-D85C-4238-9321-753921787CBD.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  25.2 KB

Here is a helpful summary. The RR10S and RR8S are the same, just one is the tag axle version and one the single axle version.

Josh
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #10

Moishes
Just curious what your basis is regarding your comment on Navistar engines. Have you ever owned one? What's wrong with them?
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPrince View Post
Moishes
Just curious what your basis is regarding your comment on Navistar engines. Have you ever owned one? What's wrong with them?
Sorry if we offended you. As a kid I was a fan of International Harvester products. International Harvester is now Navistar and they lost me as a fan about 25 years ago.
Navistar engineering and program management are disasters. Navistar built the Ford PowerStroke diesel engine in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. There were so many warranty claims owners started a class action lawsuit. It was finally settled and Navistar redesigned the engine. But the newer engine also had issues. Ford finally took engine manufacturing away and now makes their own diesel.
Navistar also purchased manufacturing rights form Caterpillar to build large over the road diesels. This also turned into a disaster as Navistar tried to bypass the new EPA requirements. Many engines were built with previously earned credits the entire program was a mess.
There is lots more if you care to do some research.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thank you for all the great information. I was first thinking they might have the IFS but it doesn't look like it. I do believe Navistar used leftover Cummins engines to build the 2011 models before switching to the Maxxforce engines in 2012. The challenge is finding the floor plan with the correct drive train. I'll keep looking, thanks.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
In my opinion the main advantage of IFS is a greater wheel cut angle...tighter turning radius than a solid axle. On one MH chassis with IFS, I counted 12 more moving parts compared to a solid axle... enough reasons why I do not want IFS.

When IFS becomes the norm on OTR trucks I’ll reconsider my position.