Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Which GPS you use is not as important as at least having one. It makes for a less stressful trip, and of course better relations with the DW aka navigator. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why not have 2 GPSs rather than one? I started with a Garmin Street Pilot 7200 (expensive !! ) a few years ago, then I purchased a Walmart "refurbished" Garmin LM-50 for under $90.

The 7200 stays in its cradle all the time because that's where the DC power is (i.e., there is no internal battery on the 7200). But I love the large screen size.

For the small LM-50, its internal battery allows DW to hold it in her hands while performing searches (food, for example) while the 7200 continues its primary duty: showing me my route-&-time-to-destination. We've found having the 2nd unit a real benefit for "what-iffing".
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
Why not have 2 GPSs rather than one? I started with a Garmin Street Pilot 7200 (expensive !! ) a few years ago, then I purchased a Walmart "refurbished" Garmin LM-50 for under $90.

The 7200 stays in its cradle all the time because that's where the DC power is (i.e., there is no internal battery on the 7200). But I love the large screen size.

For the small LM-50, its internal battery allows DW to hold it in her hands while performing searches (food, for example) while the 7200 continues its primary duty: showing me my route-&-time-to-destination. We've found having the 2nd unit a real benefit for "what-iffing".
We have 2 Garmin Nuvi's.
One truck one and one car.
Don't remember the numbers.
We couldn't own a Motorhome without a GPS.
My DW could navigate from the storage depot to our regular departure campground without the GPS. Come to think of it she can't do it with a GPS.
So no GPS = no coach
Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #18

Have 2 stand alone GPS but only use the TomTom now, plus a 7in tablet and smart phones with several GPS apps. I program the TomTom for a destination when I am stopped, Navigator takes care of the other two. Mostly use "Navigon" (a Garmin product) in the tablet and phone but often use google Maps with street view plus use google earth to scope out areas we are going to.

Have more than 1 GPS running all the tine with different SW works for me. If they show different routing we investigate further.

We use Allstays apps as a further aid as well as next exit apps. We find the phone and tablet apps are much more convenient to use than the stand alone GPS. Everything is integrated in the tablet/phone apps. (carry 3 tablets, 2 smart phones, a laptop and a netbook and tether all to one cell service as we go.)

Have good mounts for the tabet and phone and we both can view then as we go. Have a mount for the phone in the toad and generally just use it when in the toad.

If I am going to be in a specific area for a while I will cache the local google maps for that area.

Most always have voice silenced on GPS. Too much chatter. I pay attention to the visual directions and besides my "talking baggage" (Aka DW) usually tells me where to go anyway. She often tells me to go where there is no map. (Just kidding about talking baggage etc) but she watches the routes also and alerts me accordingly

Works for us and I like having a second opinion re routing options.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the RM RVND7710. If I was buying one today I would go with the RM RVND7720.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We have Garmins. A dezl 560 for the MH and a Nuvi 1690 for the car. The Dezl has the NTTS trucking data base for service, food, rest stops, repair and so on. The 1690 has cell access to Google which is very helpful for searches. The Dezl allows vehicle size weight configuration.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
I've used several Garmins over the years and have been generally pleased with them - our current is a 765LMT. They have the occasional crazy routing that all users of all brands of GPS systems report that must be accepted and dealt with by grey matter and cross check.

That said - when we upsized our coach from a 25' Chinook to the Monaco I knew I wanted a big screen unit of some sort based on how the dash was laid out. Since I always take an iPad (third gen in my case) when traveling, I decided to try some of the options for it. Priority was finding software that would allow setting a vehicle height and plan routes accordingly. I bought a RAM mount for the ipad and started with the Co-Pilot HD Premium software. Having the iPad mounted and accessible proved nice for other things than just running the nav software and after trying that for awhile I was pretty sure I wanted to continue to pursue that approach. The Co-Pilot software worked pretty well but it's operation was not logical or intuitive to my brain. I've been using the Rand McNally iPad app for the last couple of months and so far (lots of testing and one real trip in the coach) I think it's going to be the trick for me. Not perfect, but I've never had a hardware GPS that was perfect either and if they continue to improve it I'll be a happy user.

So in summary - if you already have a GPS enabled iPad that you'll be traveling with anyway, I strongly recommend you check out the Rand McNally app option.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
The Monaco and TOWD are both guided by the Garmin Nuvi 465T which is switchable between car and truck. Been using it for 3 years now with updates and without any serious problems.

Once we decide to leave the west coast part of the country after seeing all there is to see west of the Rockies, I will invest in the current model of Garmin Dezl 760 LMT which is a 7 inch screen and use it solely for the coach. Then the Nuvi 465T will be dedicated to the car eliminating the need to move unit from one vehicle to the other. Besides, I think the 7 inch screen is way too big for the car sitting on top of the dash. If it were built into the dash then it would be different.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #23

Second thumbs up on the iPad and RAM mount. Another option is to buy an older iPhone 3 or 4 on the cheap ($100) from ebay and mount it with a RAM mount. For software I prefer the Navigon app. You don't need an over-the-air connection as all the maps are installed on the iPhone/iPad. It also allows you to select the type of vehicle with Truck as an option so it keeps you on the main roads. This is especially handy when towing a toad. Why buy a dedicated GPS unit when you can get an older iPhone for cheap and it has a lot more functionality/uses.
wtondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I've only got a few miles on it but 7720 software on my iPad seems to work pretty well. Heading for the W Coast next week so will see then.

The mount was tough. Attached are photos of the install. I also hung my Scangauge on the new mount.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1808.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	36950   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1810.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	36951  

ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I really like the large display of the ipad.

Google Maps are free and excellent but is small (iphone size) since Apple
messed it up.

Now the best option is a version called iMaps+. Its $.99 and has almost
everything the old Google Maps had on my ipad.

iMaps+ for Google Maps : Directions, Street View and Places Search for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad | iOS Store
Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I have had several Garmin units setup for highway use (vs Topo maps); eTrex, 276C, 756LMT, and for the last year a nuvi 3590. I have downloaded POI files for campgrounds, Pilot-Flying J, and other possibly useful POI's. It works well and it has voice command ability but I have never used that feature for some reason. Had the dezl 760 been available when I got the 3590 I would have got it instead.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I just returned from a trip using the I pad with Copilot Live hooked to a blue tooth GPS along with a Garmin Nuvi, we really like the I pad for mapping, Keith where did you get the I pad mount and how is it installed to the dash, it looks good!
We also have on stand by MS Street and trips 2013 on a laptop along with the push pins from the Discovery site.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Placed: March 18, 2013

Order Details | Invoice
Delivered On: Friday March 22, 2013
Delivered

This is the mount I used. I had to make some little stiffeners to hold the iPad very still. Took a little "messing with" but it came out OK.

This was ordered from Amazon.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, monaco