Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've been told to not use tires on motorhomes beyond 6 years of age regardless of tread wear or sidewall condition. Apparently they rot from within and become extremely dangerous to use.

I've heard that Equal can deteriorate into dust and cause problems plugging valve stems. Check into Dynabeads.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #16

Bill,

I fear that you may not be carrying enough pressure in your steer tires. I think you have a 14,600 lb steer axle. If your tag axle is adjusted too be carrying over 5,000 lbs you are probably close to 14,000 lbs on your steer axle. It takes 110 psi to carry that weight.

Next time you are close to a Cat scale you should get weighted.

Safe travels,
Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jim,
The life of tires depends on several different items.
1. As Steve posted, get your coach weighted and insure the correct PSI is in tires tires for the weight they are carrying. The coach should be fully loaded (propane, water, stuff, passengers, etc) when weighed.

2. Cover the tires when not in use.

3. Keep the tires clean and use a tire rejuvenating product. An example is at Long-Lasting Tire Dressing, 16 Ounces - Cleaners - Wheels & Tires - Car Care - Griot's Garage

4. Use the chart at Michelin Sidewall Cracking Chart - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery and compare it to your side walls.

If in doubt, call the tire company (or go to their web site) and understand their recommendation.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Steve -- Thanks for your concern -- I have weighed the coach, & the front comes in at 13,080 lbs -- That is full of fuel, & what little water & junk we carry with us -- I live in AZ, & I can have 100lbs in the morning, & 105lbs in the afternoon, & that is with no traveling -- The sidewall states COLD PRESSURE , but when it`s 110 degrees, where do you get COLD ? -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't see in any of the comments about the weight of the rv. You know, the left side the right, and so on. If I am wrong please correct me, I could use all the help I can get. Virg
virg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by virg View Post
I didn't see in any of the comments about the weight of the rv. You know, the left side the right, and so on. If I am wrong please correct me, I could use all the help I can get. Virg
Virg, welcome to the forum

All the tire manufacturers publish load / pressure charts for their tires.

You need to wiegh your rig, loaded, preferably corners, but at least front and rear axles. Figure the actual load per tire if you weighed each corner, or the load on the front and rear axle, and look it up on the tire manufacturers chart. then add five for good luck and air em up, cold. (Morning, before driving)
All the tires on a single axle must be the same psi.

Tires usually blow from overheating, but they overheat from flexing too much, and they flex too much if they are underinflated or overloaded.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
weathertodd: The pressure embossed on the side of a truck tire is NOT the recomended pressure. It is the maximum pressure necessary to obtain the maximum weight capacity of the tire. Think about it: How could they emboss the correct pressure on a tire wiothout knowing what vehcile is using that tire???
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
recommended pressures should be embossed on the tire sidewall.
Todd.... NO!! NOT TRUE!!

The sidewall says

Maximum load xxxxx pounds at maximum pressure of xxxPSI

It does NOT, recommend a pressure, EVER

The reason for this is that they have no idea when they mold the tire what vehicle it will be mounted on and what is the proper pressure for a 22000 pound motor home with dual rear tires is deffently NOT the proper pressure for an 10,000 pound straight truck with dual rear tires

So, the pressure on the sidewall is almost NEVER the proper pressure.... Same, I might add, for the sticker inside the vehicle since it's based on a weight that is very likely NOT your loaded weight.

The only way to get it right is to get the 4 corner weights (Each wheel, remember a dual is one wheel, but two tires) and visit the tire maker's web page....

Or you can call Awaigh-We-Go RV Safety, Merritt Island, Florida and they will ask you some questions including "What tires do you have"

For a small fee they come out, weight your rig and hand you the proper chart with the proper pressure circled or otherwise indicated

NOTE: The pressures may be different for each wheel.

(I know there are folks who scream "All the same, All the same" but frankly. this is false, The pressure needs to be adjusted not just axel per axel but side to side unless the vehicle is perfectly balanced)
Old 03-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Steve -- Thanks for your concern -- I have weighed the coach, & the front comes in at 13,080 lbs -- That is full of fuel, & what little water & junk we carry with us -- I live in AZ, & I can have 100lbs in the morning, & 105lbs in the afternoon, & that is with no traveling -- The sidewall states COLD PRESSURE , but when it`s 110 degrees, where do you get COLD ? -- Bill Willard
What it means is the coach has sat for at least 1 hr and if you need 100 # at 65 deg you would have to inflate the tire to 110# at 110 deg out side temp. as has already been stated by Jim the tire pressure chart if for 65 deg. William if you are putting 100 # at 100 deg out side temp you are under by 8# on your 295/80 tires and the tires will be rated a little better than 12400 at 92# and if you haven't weighed each wheel they probably have a heavier side and I would bet on that. You have been lucky so far and I hope it holds.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tire Inflation Values (original).pdf (29.4 KB, 52 views)
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
(I know there are folks who scream "All the same, All the same" but frankly. this is false, The pressure needs to be adjusted not just axel per axel but side to side unless the vehicle is perfectly balanced)
wa8yxm.......NO!! NOT TRUE!! COMPLETELY WRONG!!!
Always use the same pressure on both sides of a axle. And use the PSI by the tire manufacture rate chart for the heaviest side.

Below from Goodyear Tire Care PDF
Inflation pressure should be adjusted to the tire carrying the heaviest load, and all tires on the axle should have the same inflation pressure.

Below from Michelin RV Brochure
REMEMBER: For control of your RV, it is critical that the tire pressures be the same on both sides of an axle.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry... should have said recommended "max" pressures will be embossed on the side.
Besides...this post is 3 months old.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it very much.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandys Man View Post
Virg, welcome to the forum

All the tire manufacturers publish load / pressure charts for their tires.

You need to wiegh your rig, loaded, preferably corners, but at least front and rear axles. Figure the actual load per tire if you weighed each corner, or the load on the front and rear axle, and look it up on the tire manufacturers chart. then add five for good luck and air em up, cold. (Morning, before driving)
All the tires on a single axle must be the same psi.

Tires usually blow from overheating, but they overheat from flexing too much, and they flex too much if they are underinflated or overloaded.
Thanks for the info. It helps me out. I want to keep out of troublel.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
wa8yxm.......NO!! NOT TRUE!! COMPLETELY WRONG!!!
Always use the same pressure on both sides of a axle. And use the PSI by the tire manufacture rate chart for the heaviest side.

Below from Goodyear Tire Care PDF
Inflation pressure should be adjusted to the tire carrying the heaviest load, and all tires on the axle should have the same inflation pressure.

Below from Michelin RV Brochure
REMEMBER: For control of your RV, it is critical that the tire pressures be the same on both sides of an axle.
I predicted this reply didn't I.. and as I said the tire pressures need to be the proper pressure FOR THE WHEEL, it may be different for left and right sides..

now that said, normally it's not.

Tags
axel weight, tire codes, tire pressure