Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What is the best sway bar to buy?

I have a 2005 36' Monaco Laplama and would like to install a rear sway bar and would like to hear from all of you on which one you think is the best.
Thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by micki49 View Post
I have a 2005 36' Monaco Laplama and would like to install a rear sway bar and would like to hear from all of you on which one you think is the best.
Thank you.
Dan,

We own a 2006 Allegro Open Road that is 35'6" long on a Workhorse chassis and haven't had any problems with swaying. If you haven't owned your Monaco for a while I would suggest that before you go spending money drive it for a while and see if you really need one after you become accustomed to how it handles.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
RoadMaster chrome Molly I believe is the BEST they even make them for our military vehicles. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
curious as to what led you to believe you need a sway bar? Planning on driving a slalom course?
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
To help with crosswind and when the big rigs go by. Or do you think a stay safe on the front would be better. I would fell a little better with less movement It is not to bad with the big rigs but, could be a lot better when the wind is so strong.

Thanks Again
Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sway bars provide better handling in all kinds of situations one encounters when driving a large rig. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I know you have a Monaco but you might get a better answer on the Chassis Forum under the Workhorse section...That way you will access other makes of MH's rather than mostly just Monaco's...I have an entirely different chassis than yours so I really have no comment on yours but I know on mine the RoadMaster REK kit made a huge improvement.

CHEERS
Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by micki49 View Post
To help with crosswind and when the big rigs go by. Or do you think a stay safe on the front would be better. I would fell a little better with less movement It is not to bad with the big rigs but, could be a lot better when the wind is so strong.

Thanks Again
it sounds like we have the same rig. I have koni FSD shocks on all 4 corners and an 18 wheeler can go by at 80+ on the highway and I dont get any sway or pitching.
But ironically when stopped at a turning traffic light(left lane)... when cars go by I get a mild push.

I would look at the shocks first.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for the help and I will look into all the above.

Thank's again.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The single best upgrade we did with respect to excessive steering corrections caused by crosswinds and passing semi's was installing a BlueOx Tiger Trac rear trac bar.(DIY and I liked the design) Best bang for the buck IMHO. With those long rear overhangs on gas'er RVs, you would think that they would come factory installed. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #11

Dan,

What Bob is talking about is known as a track bar or panhard bar. Panhard bars help reduce side-to-side movement, while sway bars (actually anti-sway bars) reduce lean. Use the search function to read lots of comments about how these components work before you spend your money on the wrong part (I think you really need a panhard / track bar, you may already have a rear sway bar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
The single best upgrade we did with respect to excessive steering corrections caused by crosswinds and passing semi's was installing a BlueOx Tiger Trac rear trac bar.(DIY and I liked the design) Best bang for the buck IMHO. With those long rear overhangs on gas'er RVs, you would think that they would come factory installed. Bob
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote