Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #1

What is this connector?

This is on the passenger side above the water tank. Wires go into it but the wire out (the short wire at the end of the box) does not plug into anything. Could it be just a junction box that doesn't need to be plugged into anything?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connector.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	126346  
AtlantaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

Looks like a telephone line splitter.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

That makes sense. Guess it just acts as a junction box (splitter) and doesn't need to be plugged into anything
AtlantaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, it's the on-board telephone line junction box/splitter/whatever.

Trace the wires, and they go to the several phone jacks sprinkled thru-out the coach. Doesn't hurt/help anything to leave as-is, especially if you have cell service.
RustyTools is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRick View Post
This is on the passenger side above the water tank. Wires go into it but the wire out (the short wire at the end of the box) does not plug into anything. Could it be just a junction box that doesn't need to be plugged into anything?
That's exactly what my 07 neptune has. I wondered the same thing, then I just figured they used it as a junction block as others said.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
That's exactly what my 07 neptune has. I wondered the same thing, then I just figured they used it as a junction block as others said.

Chad

Ditto mine is located in the wet bay. My question can you convert to ether net?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 05-09-2016, 04:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ

It is possible to use the four-wire phone cable for Ethernet, but only one circuit can be active at a time. It will be very slow by today's standards. Even Wi-Fi is much faster.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:23 AM   #8

Phone Wire Not Suitable for Ethernet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
10Boomer-

Ethernet needs two pairs of wires, with the wires in each pair twisted around each other ("twisted-pair") a certain number of times per foot. The picture shows old-fashioned telephone "flat" wire, and so the wiring is not a likely candidate for Ethernet service.

Back in the 1990s we ran 10 megabit-per-second Ethernet over some low-end wiring when pressed to do so. The advent of wireless Ethernet eliminated any reason to try it.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:56 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
That is a modular telephone splitter. Possibly the worst way to connect all the jacks in your MH. Those connections do not work well in wet or damp locations like a wet bay. Hard wired would have been a better option but the plug ins probably installed faster.

+1 on no ethernet. I can see there are only two pins in the splitter and ethernet does need four twisted pair wires.

Our coach was also wired with phone jacks for a land line. I can't come up with a good use for them.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
That is a modular telephone splitter.

. . .

Our coach was also wired with phone jacks for a land line. I can't come up with a good use for them.
Is there an easy way to convert them to be USB power jacks? The quick look I've done show there are lots of 12v to USB converters for automotive use and similarly, lots of wall panel plates with USB for houses. Since the phone wiring is simply two pair of wires, it should be possible to use one pair for USB power and ignore the other pair. I just haven't found a plate yet that I can use to easily re-purpose the wiring.
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriderLeon View Post
Is there an easy way to convert them to be USB power jacks? The quick look I've done show there are lots of 12v to USB converters for automotive use and similarly, lots of wall panel plates with USB for houses. Since the phone wiring is simply two pair of wires, it should be possible to use one pair for USB power and ignore the other pair. I just haven't found a plate yet that I can use to easily re-purpose the wiring.
That wire is really a cord like would go from the wall to the phone. It is also only single pair from what I can see in the photo. Very thin so cutting and splicing it is difficult.

I'm not sure how you would change the wire/jacks into USB with 5V. The MH is 12V of course, an old fashion land phone line is 48V. The easiest way I could think of is to connect the 12V to the phone cord and change the end plugs to a cigarette plug like in your car then use the plug in converters that have a USB plug to connect your charger cord. Those also convert the 12V to 5. I have seen them in auto parts and even drug stores.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
That wire is really a cord like would go from the wall to the phone. It is also only single pair from what I can see in the photo. Very thin so cutting and splicing it is difficult.

I'm not sure how you would change the wire/jacks into USB with 5V. The MH is 12V of course, an old fashion land phone line is 48V. The easiest way I could think of is to connect the 12V to the phone cord and change the end plugs to a cigarette plug like in your car then use the plug in converters that have a USB plug to connect your charger cord. Those also convert the 12V to 5. I have seen them in auto parts and even drug stores.
The other thing that would need to be checked is polarity. The phone cords switch polarity when they go from one jack to another.

It took a few tries with Google, but "12v USB wall outlet" found http://www.amazon.com/MOUNT-12V-VPA-.../dp/B00SVVQHKW It fits into a standard electrical box but they look like the way to go. It doesn't look like there are color choices but otherwise I think this is a good use for those outlets.

Now to find a 12v power source near a phone jack.
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:01 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriderLeon View Post
The other thing that would need to be checked is polarity. The phone cords switch polarity when they go from one jack to another.

It took a few tries with Google, but "12v USB wall outlet" found http://www.amazon.com/MOUNT-12V-VPA-.../dp/B00SVVQHKW It fits into a standard electrical box but they look like the way to go. It doesn't look like there are color choices but otherwise I think this is a good use for those outlets.

Now to find a 12v power source near a phone jack.
Here is one in black Amazon.com: RV WALL MOUNT 12V-VPA SOCKET/5V4A OUPUT DUAL USB PORT CHARGING STATION, Black: Car Electronics I worry about them fitting in an RV "electric box" since most of them are RV specific and made much more shallow than a standard box.

Good advice on the reverse polarity.

Our MH has a few of the 12V lighter plugs so they would be the easiest answer but while plugged into shore power we can charge from any 110V AC outlet.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
You can get a receptacle with USB connections at Lowes, Home Depot or any reasonably large hardware store. http://www.lowes.com/pd_612689-1571-...=50253183&Ntt=, Just search "USB wall outlet"

That box is, as said, a telephone splitter. If you don't use land lines in your coach, just ignore it. If you do try using the phones then plugging that loose lead in, the PO might have removed it because it was causing problems.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote