RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What is this switch for???

Can anyone tell me what this switch operates? I have owned this coach for 3 1/2 years and yet to figure out what it does. It's a rocker switch that lights green in either direction. My wiring diagrams don't name this switch's operation. Please see pictures. My exhaust brake is a foot switch. The unmarked switch just below is my aqua hot engine preheat switch.

Thanks for any ideas,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	306042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	306043  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well isn't that fun Tim, an unlabeled rocker switch that glows green when you turn it on, sounds like a new quest to discover it's true identity .

Kidding aside, the only real thought that popped into my mind was a Hi/Low switch for the exhaust brake? Is it 2 stage maybe? Not common for an exhaust brake that I know of, but that's all I've got.

I would say maybe a Hi/Low switch for the dash fans, but I would guess you would be able to tell that pretty easily.

Josh

As an aside, and I feel like I should know this...but if you don't mind me asking, what is the device at the top of you picture with the gauge, switch and dial on it??
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Remove the panel and use a pair of magnyfying glasses to see if the wires are marked. Many are labeled in mine.

If someone added some sort of steering centering device it could be a trim switch.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:17 PM   #4

Can you describe or get a picture of the markings that are just above the switch?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTL View Post
Well isn't that fun Tim, an unlabeled rocker switch that glows green when you turn it on, sounds like a new quest to discover it's true identity .

Kidding aside, the only real thought that popped into my mind was a Hi/Low switch for the exhaust brake? Is it 2 stage maybe? Not common for an exhaust brake that I know of, but that's all I've got.

I would say maybe a Hi/Low switch for the dash fans, but I would guess you would be able to tell that pretty easily.

Josh

As an aside, and I feel like I should know this...but if you don't mind me asking, what is the device at the top of you picture with the gauge, switch and dial on it??
Thank you both, The gage with switch and dial is (If someone added some sort of steering centering device it could be a trim switch, dial being the trim) After market that I have removed. They was trying to override the air valves for the air bags not working properly. After I rebuilt the two six-pack set of valves the coach tracks straight. I have tried the pac-brake with the switch either way without change. I'm trying not to remove the switch panel because it so brittle and cracks when I try it.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Can you describe or get a picture of the markings that are just above the switch?
It's just a smudge of something. It's not there now. I took this picture last year.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
A real shot in the dark now, but wondering if someone wired in an accessory power lead to the trailer connector that is powered by the switch?

Instead of pulling the panel, you could start pulling fuses in the front run bay one at a time. Maybe you can narrow down which fuse powers it, and hopefully the label for the fuse will give you some indication.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTL View Post
A real short in the dark now, but wondering if someone wired in an accessory power lead to the trailer connector that is powered by the switch?

Instead of pulling the panel, you could start pulling fuses in the front run bay one at a time. Maybe you can narrow down which fuse powers it, and hopefully the label for the fuse will give you some indication.
OK, I'm a dummy. I just found it in another part of my wiring diagram book. It's my generator slide switch. Now I just have to figure out why it's not working...fun.

Tim
Old 10-26-2020, 02:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Old 10-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I understand not wanting to remove the panel. However, a simple piece of aluminum covered in your favorite paint color or laminate will resolve that issue.

While you have the switches out you can re-arrange them in something that suits your taste.

The leveling panel can be relocated and turned too most likely. It made no sense when mine was turned goofy. I had to think about which button to push. I mean the top button should be the front, not the side.

My panel had an angle on one end versus being flat the full length. I made tow pieces so it is even easier to service things. You could make a two panel piece as well.

Ultimately all of my dash fiberglass components have been replaced by aluminum with carbon fiber laminate covering. Looks great and no more cracked edges or worn out screw holes.

The radio area has been completely rearranged as well as installing a new radio.

The instruments have been rearranged and my air conditioner vents no longer blow cold air onto my knees. They actually are properly directed now.

The task is more daunting than difficult for sure.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch