Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #1

What is this tank full of?

my 97 Safari Continental has a plastic tank in the mechanics bay, passenger side rear, that contains some type of hydraulic fluid. I think it supplies the house heaters and the hot water system but am not sure. Does anyone know what this is and what type of fluid it takes? New to me rig and am finding lots of mysteries.

Thanks
TR Edwards
97 Safari Continental 40
TR Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Could you send a picture so we can get a look at it.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't know anything about your rig but I doubt that hydraulic fluid would be in a plastic tank. Pictures might be helpful.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:18 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Edwards View Post
my 97 Safari Continental has a plastic tank in the mechanics bay, passenger side rear, that contains some type of hydraulic fluid. I think it supplies the house heaters and the hot water system but am not sure. Does anyone know what this is and what type of fluid it takes? New to me rig and am finding lots of mysteries.

Thanks
TR Edwards
97 Safari Continental 40
Just a tank? No pump on top, or beside it?

I'm thinking possibly your leveling jacks hyd system.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #5

It's the reservoir for your Hydro-boost power brake system. It should say Dextron III on the side which is transmission fluid. Your brakes are hydraulic over hydraulic. A pump sends this fluid to your Master cylinder up front to boost your brake pedal pressure, then the fluid returns back to that reservoir. You can sometimes hear a whistle or whine when you are stopped and holding the brake pedal down. This was one complaint some people had with the system. Nothing is wrong with it when it does it, it's just the nature of the beast.

You mentioned heaters and hot water so I suspect you have a Hurricane hydronic heat system? If so, the overflow tank and reservoir for that should be in the engine compartment under the bed mounted to the wall of the bed platform. The reservoir is a small black tank with a radiator cap on it and nearby is a small plastic overflow tank just like a car has where you add coolant.

Fluid in the tank you are asking about should be reddish or reddish brown and smell oily.

Is you'll notice by my signature, I have a '98 Serengeti which should have a lot of similarities to your rig so I'm happy to answer any questions you have. don't hesitate to ask either via the forum, or a private message. There are other Safari owners who post in the Monaco section, and there's a Safari Owner's specific forum off site at www.safarifriends.org
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank