Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #1

What replaced the Samsung RF197?

Let me start with we are 3000 miles from home with our Norcold 1200 acting up, I was planning on replacing the cooling unit after we get back, but the fans are not working, and I am beginning to think I will rip it out and go with a residential refer, the popular one that we like the is the Samsung RF 197, but my understanding that unit is not built any longer, so I have reviewed all the past refer posts here and the ones from a few years ago don't apply any longer, my question what would be the current Samsung that would work in the coach?. Our Dynasty has the 3000 watt inverter, I have solar and 8, 6 volt batteries, so that part is covered, the fit should work, there is a drawer under the Norcold that can be removed and a small filler installed, thanks in advance, Ron
RonD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't comment about Samsung, but several RV makers have already moved to using the Whirlpool WRT111:
See: http://www.whirlpool.com/-[WRT111SFD...94/WRT111SFDM/
Available in 3 colors, 11 Cu ft and very nice looking. The RV makers are adding a "T" shaped latch to keep the doors locked during travel.

At about $500 retail vs, the $1,400 retail to replace our Dometic, that will be probably be our recourse some day...hopefully not soon (knock wood).

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take a look at the Samsung.

http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances...RF18HFENBSR/AA

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oops, sorry, didn't realize the Norcold 1200 was a side-by-side.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
That is the unit we put in our '07 Endeavor last February. With the drawer underneath, it should be a slam dunk. Just move the passenger seat out of the way. Take the doors off the outgoing and incoming units and take it in the door. You have about 1/2" to spare. Lay a blanket over the dash to protect it and get a couple of strong backs.

Love the Samsung... Consistent -2 in the freezer and 38 in the frig. More ice cubes than we can use.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #6

You won't be sorry.buy a home refrigerator. We got rid of our Nocold about 5 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-11-2015, 04:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar configuration. Brought Samsung in through emergency exit window in bedroom on to bed (after removing doors). Took out the bottom drawers and mounted the fridge on the floor then cut the drawers off, and mounted the drawer fronts as a swing up door front on top of the refrigerator so I could store cookie sheets, muffin tins, etc. on top of the refrigerator.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The main thing is to look for a "Counter-Depth" frig. They're several inches shallower than a standard frig.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #9
JAW

Monaco Owners Club
RF197 was replaced by the RF 18 which we installed last Winter and are enjoying it. We removed the drawers underneath so it could roll into place. I installed flip cabinet up cabinet doors as suggested by patmsp and everything is good.
towing 2007 Saturn Vue
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #10

Thanks for the info, the new Samsung 18 cf will be our pick, from prior posts I have the install planned out, I still have the question of mounting it so it stays in place, I may design something to address that, my goal is a clean factory look, and a solid mounting
RonD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #11

Thanks for this post. I'm going to install the RF-18 this month in my 06 Revolution. Thanks to Akeyzoo I know I can get it through the front door. If anyone has any tips on mounting I would appreciate hearing them. Our rear furnace is mounted below the Norcold so I have to install the Samsung above it. I read the Atwood specs that calls for 1/2 inch clearance over the top so I'll take advantage of that.
mocauttx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
My furnace was below the Norcold, was quite a project to get it too fit. Height was the major factor. I wrapped the furnace with aluminum coated bubble insulation. Lowered the shelf, added slotted angle on the sides, and back and built a 1/2.." Plywood deck with cutout for the furnace.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #13

I would strongly suggest you go to the RV Systems & Appliances forum and search for posts by rnodine. He did a great job of documenting how he installed his RF197. You can get a lot of good ideas from his documentation and comments by others who followed his example.

The dimensions for the RF18 are basically the same as the RF197. What has changed is the compressor technology, and it is a big change. Samsung gave written documentation to some that the RF197 would operate just fine on a Modified Sine Wave inverter. They have been reluctant to extend that same guarantee to the RF18 technology. But, these things sip electricity so you could easily get a Pure Sine Wave unit to supply the refrigerator if you need it. (This latter point will depend on you are basically a post to post traveler like we are or do a lot of dry camping.)

But, I must warn you that there is a serious cultural difference you have to accept when you convert to the Samsung unit. Ice cubes freeze in about 20 to 30 minutes. Milk stays really cold and tastes refreshing. You can stop throwing away about half your food because you fear it got too warm. And ice cream stays really frozen. You need to be prepared for these dramatic differences.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post

But, I must warn you that there is a serious cultural difference you have to accept when you convert to the Samsung unit. Ice cubes freeze in about 20 to 30 minutes. Milk stays really cold and tastes refreshing. You can stop throwing away about half your food because you fear it got too warm. And ice cream stays really frozen. You need to be prepared for these dramatic differences.
+1

I will add that we have had ours running on the factory installed Magnum MSW inverter for nearly a year now. We have done over a dozen days of dry camping during that time. It seems to do well. I do intend to upgrade my inverter to a ME-2812 in the near future.

Last winter, I conducted an experiment, running the fridge on inverted power, just to see how long it could sustain. I cut off everything 12V except the inverter and fridge and ran it for 48 hours before the voltage dropped to 12.0V. I have 6 - 6V batteries. It does pretty well on power consumption.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace