Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 06:18 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalsmt View Post
Hi
I don't know what the original tires were but I did compare Goodyear and Michelin tire charts and they were different. On the Michelin charts they want an individual axle side weight were I could only get total axle weights at the scales I went to. The load/pressure for my duals on the back drive axle did not relate to the chart, I have 14,000 lbs total load on the drive axle duals and the chart says I should have 120 psi in those tires at 14000 lbs, when I divide the 14,000lbs by 2 = 7000 lbs that weight rating does not even register on the chart, chart starts at 9,530 lbs. load at 70 psi for duals. I also have 14,000 lbs on the front steering axle, I divide by 2 = 7,000 lbs per tire and the chart says I should have 100 psi in those, I understand that one. The total load on the tag axle is 8,460 lbs / 2 tires = 4,230 lbs and for single tires on the chart the load starts at 5,375 lbs / 75 psi. I'm doing something wrong but I went to 3 truck tire sales places and one major RV sales/service center today and was told at 2 places to always put 100 psi in all the tires and at two places I was told to put the pressure that was listed on the side wall. Holly molly!! I am going to call Michelin Monday and ask for clarification on reading their load/inflation charts. I think the forum was correct in telling me to stick with the Michelin inflation chart, I just can not understand it yet.
Every service center and owner has their own "do this". The bottom line is that you should always follow the inflation tables of the tire manufacturer, in your case Michelin. Use the actual tire weights with the coach loaded and the fresh water and diesel full. The correct tire pressure is not the max tire pressure written on the side of the tire but is related to the load on the tire. The tire design affects that and that is why you should use the tire manufacturer's tables.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you that's exactly what I had to do, weigh each individual tire/axle then go to the chart. Appreciate your help.
kovalsmt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure