Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2021, 11:25 PM   #1

What type of sealant is this? Would Dicor stick to it?

My vehicle is 2000 Windsor. I am removing obsolete items from roof to create room for solar panels. The attached photo is the cable hatch for Satellite TV antenna. What type of glue is this white thing?

I know it is not Dicor because it is much tougher than Dicor. Many parts of my roof has Dicor as sealant, and with 20 years of sun and rain they are in urgent need to be replaced. But this type of sealant stayed in relatively good shape. Plus, it is very difficult to remove. So if Dicor can sitck to it, I will just remove the cable and put a layer of dicor on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9220.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	348803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9222.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	348804  

Sinyyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2021, 12:30 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
If it’s a fiberglass roof, then it could be silicone, then dicor will not stick to it..
Old 11-14-2021, 04:57 AM   #3
YC1

I would highly suggest Eternabond tape. It is useful in many places and seems to hold up well. I don't know what the sealer that is being used but another is Pro Flex Sealer.

Pro Flex sticks to just about anything. It will stick to fiberglass for sure.

If you might anticipate any wi-fi or cellular antennas in the future you might reconsider covering that hole.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #4

I am ecpecting to put some kind of antenna in the future. I might open it in the future, but Eternabond is extremely difficult to remove. I will check out pro flex.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:24 AM   #5

It doesn't feel lile the GE silicon. But it could be another type of silicon.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #6

RV Roof coating

Not sure what type of sealer was used on your RV, but I have used a rubberized roof coating product called "Duck Coat" with great success, it is a very "elastomeric" material (meaning it remains flexible after it sets up) so as to allow for temperature related expansion and contraction of your roof) They do have a product specifically intended for RVs, I put two coats of it on my Class A about 3 or 4 years ago. I used a cheap "throw away" paint brush to apply the sealer to clean dry surface (free of tree sap,etc.) and it worked very well for me. I believe any roof sealer you use will probably need another coat every few years, especially if you store your RV in direct sunlight like I do .. Lots of good brand name choices are available, the instructions for each product will mention what materials it will adhere to.. Cost was about 50 dollars for a gallon, but any product that works well will cost at least that much.. Good Luck, hope this is helpful for you. While you are up there, I would seal up every opening and seam on your roof, in addition to the cable hatch you are working on, since your roof most likely will have other areas prone to leakage (on a 20 year old RV)
BeenThereB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could be 3M5000UV or similar 4000UV. I used it to attach my solar panels and cables along my roof 16 years ago and they are still strong and hard. No longer quite as white.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
Could be 3M5000UV or similar 4000UV. I used it to attach my solar panels and cables along my roof 16 years ago and they are still strong and hard. No longer quite as white.
The 3M line of products are a great choice, always, various adhesives, sealants, tape, and many other products, can't go wrong. Any adhesive that holds up well after 16 years is impressive indeed ! (Is your RV stored outdoors when not in use ?) Remarkable longevity indeed .
BeenThereB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
If it’s a fiberglass roof, then it could be silicone, then dicor will not stick to it..
Check out the AZ Expert video's. This guy works on RV roofs and explains what sealants to use. Watch around the 2:45 minute mark.
The stuff in the photo (OP's first thread) looks like the self leveling silicon used around the fan in the video. Cut some off and see if it stretches.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #10

My FG roof has some similar looks maybe a little less self leveling , it could have been cooler when applied. I wish I knew the manufacturer, I posted a couple times , people seem to get offended when I say it is/was better than Dicor for FG roof but harder to remove when time comes. It's why it wouldn't be a good choice on rubber.
It's no longer pretty but if you were to carefully cut off the cables cleaned and sealed that spot it would still last. I have areal adjustable heat gun from cool to very hot. Never seen sealers that were not easier to scrape hot. At work I use thin flexible putty knives that I cut to about 1.5" and resharpen ,these work great.
The actual hole may be much smaller. A small patch over the hole and Eternalbond tape to cover all the screw holes is how I would do it.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:39 AM   #11

Thanks for all the answers. I think I will still remove the old sealant and apply lap sealant all over. It's too risky to lay a layer of other sealant on top. And I do want to make this repair "permanent", so I don't have to come back to it in one or two years.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #12

Answer to anything is........

SHOE GOO !!!!
I put that S___ on everything
That stuff is the most durable glue ever,

You should all have at least a clear and black tube. I use to glue rubber trim, Some of the dry cracked plastic ITS AWESOME !!!!!
Use a plastic scraper to applier, dont get it on your fingers
NWCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinyyl View Post
Thanks for all the answers. I think I will still remove the old sealant and apply lap sealant all over. It's too risky to lay a layer of other sealant on top. And I do want to make this repair "permanent", so I don't have to come back to it in one or two years.

Absolutely! Do it right it’s much to take off. Wait for a good weather day have everything you need and go for it.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:17 AM   #14
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCycle View Post
SHOE GOO !!!!
I put that S___ on everything
That stuff is the most durable glue ever,

You should all have at least a clear and black tube. I use to glue rubber trim, Some of the dry cracked plastic ITS AWESOME !!!!!
Use a plastic scraper to applier, dont get it on your fingers
I used so many tubes of that stuff over the years until I found it can harden like a rock over time and is difficult to remove after it loses its softness.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lexel-10-5-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This stuff is inexpensive and sticks to everything I have used it on. It also lasts in the tube by simply squirting a bit into a blue shop towell and then just leaving it that way with no pressure for the gun.

Pro Flex is outstanding and is pricey but it too is just amazing.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dicor, seal, sealant