Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What would you do?

I've owned my DP for a little over 1 year, and last June 2013 I had the oil changed in the engine and genny and a new air filter installed and since have only driven 3,000 miles. We are leaving soon on a 7,000 mile round trip and I wonder if I should change the oil now before we leave with 9 months and 3k miles on the oil or wait and have it done along the way during our trip? Right now it's a quart low and it's black oil in the engine and genny crankcases.
Should I be patient or get it changed and done with?
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Change it!

Don't hesitate.

Black oil is no good. Change It!!

Both of them.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Black oil in a diesel is completely normal within a few hours. Ur oil is most likely fine. I would have it analyzed. Most oils can go 7000-20000 miles. The analysis will tell u a lot about the condition of ur engine and life left in the oil.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Black oil in a diesel is completely normal within a few hours. Ur oil is most likely fine. I would have it analyzed. Most oils can go 7000-20000 miles. The analysis will tell u a lot about the condition of ur engine and life left in the oil.
X2. Unless it sits for months at a time of time unused... then I would change it. Like Chief says, an analysis will tell you lots...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wait & have it changed at a Speedco while on your trip -- New oil in a diesel will be black in a few miles -- Go to Speedco.com for their locations -- They specialize in big rig trucks, & will service motorhomes as well -- They are very reasonable -- Not much more than what it cost to do it yourself -- A quart low is OK -- Don`t add the quart -- I live in Gilbert, down the street from Mesa -- William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Chief is correct. Oil changes in diesels is more a function of oil analysis, driving conditions(city or hwy), time and mpg. Diesel oil will be black 5 minutes after cganging, not to worry. If most of the driving is at hwy speeds and your mpg average is around 7 mpg you should be OK with 7-10K miles on the oil. Much different than gas engines. I use a synthetic to be on the safe side.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thank You to all my fellow RV'ers. I'll take your sound advise and have it changed on our way to Alabama and have a safety check done as well. There are so many things I don't know about my coach and have to learn in short order and irv2 is certainly a place full of experience and knowledge... and for that we are sincerely grateful!
And... a special hello to our neighbor in Gilbert AZ., William Willard. Kathy and I used to live on Appaloosa Drive near Val Vista & Warner... small world.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tom -- I live downtown Gilbert -- 2 Blocks east of Joe`s Bar-B-Que -- Come by sometime -- We have all kind of parties here -- Shock absorber replacement parties, Slide out topper replacement parties, Coolant change parties, & sometimes, just sit on the front porch parties -- If I can be of any help, let me know -- 480-540-7377 -- William Willard
Old 03-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Tom -- I live downtown Gilbert -- 2 Blocks east of Joe`s Bar-B-Que -- Come by sometime -- We have all kind of parties here -- Shock absorber replacement parties, Slide out topper replacement parties, Coolant change parties, & sometimes, just sit on the front porch parties -- If I can be of any help, let me know -- 480-540-7377 -- William Willard
I'm moving to Gilbert!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
William... We might just take you up on that invite. Sounds like good reasons to down a few cold beers, sitting on that front porch!

And Steve & Beth... Your gonna love living in Gilbert, it's a beautiful city!! BTW... I used to live in Elmira N.Y. too! Actually Elmira Heights just south of the prison. 25 years there, and 19 years here in Arizona (so far). DW and I were born and raised on Long Island in the good ole' days.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tom- Steve -- Come on down -- I speak Hillbilly, but I`m sure we can communicate -- I can understand Harry Martin (happycarz) & he`s from Connecticut --

Tom -- If you have time, the Danes , Henrik & Anne (Danes on Tour) will be here in the next few days -- They have a coach like yours, & can fill you in on the hidden things to be on the look out for -- Harry Martin lives in Scottsdale, & would probably drop down also -- I have a big, paved back yard,& if you need some hands on instructions, Harry & Henrik would be the the ones to do that -- It would also give you a chance to meet some very nice people, including me & Ruby -- We`re nice also --

We do the "Beer on the front pourch" thing every Friday At 12.00 sharp -- We call it a safety meeting -- William Willard
Old 03-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A diesel engine will turn the oil black in a fairly short time. But before leaving on an extended trip, I would get the oil changed. Remember that an oil change is much cheaper than a new engine.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Back to the oil! I seldom drive the miles a Diesel reccomended oil interval change time may be in a year. However, the MH does sit and can collect moisture and etc. during that time span. I have made it a normal routine to have the MH serviced once a year (including safety checks) even if it means the oil has not gone full term! That is called preventive maintenance. It also gives you the peace of mind that when you are starting on a new trip that everything is as it should be and you do not have to be searching for a reliable shop to do the service in an area that you are not familiar with.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I change the oil & all the filters myself -- Usually change the motor oil at 10,000 miles, along with oil, & fuel filters -- I`m not to concerned with moisture here in southern Arizona -- I have a 42' coach, with a tag, & I can`t get to the front u-joint to grease it, so I have the lube done at a Speedco while on a trip, at about 5000 miles -- Speedco will let you go in the pit while the`re doing the lube, & at that time you can inspect the underside of the coach -- Speedco only charges $25.00 for a lube, & they do a good job - William Willard