Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #1

What's it worth?

Hello, first post here so hopefully I'm putting it in the right area. My apologies if not.

I'm doing some research in hopes to purchase a Monaco Knight. I'm wondering if I could get some feedback as to what it might be worth.

2002 Monaco Knight
35'?
Roadmaster chassis, vin relates to RSR but owner says it rides on air bags?
5.9 liter ISB Cummins
Allison trans
3 slides
18K miles
and only 190 on the Onan 7500

Needs tires and some TLC as it's been neglected over the past 3 years.

Any thoughts on what it might be worth?
Thanks in advance.
CHIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

When I was looking to see if the RV I wanted was a good deal, I used Ebay and Google to get an idea. I was lucky that 3 other units like the one I was interested in were for sale, so I could determine the price for the one I liked was the lowest price of the 4 for sale at that time. Using the NADA website, all 4 were much lower than the NADA price listing for the RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was going to search CL and eBay too but those are just asking prices. I prefer the "what would you pay?" approach. Lol.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Go PPL web. They are consignment sales that post what models of coaches have actually sold for on a fair market. Hopefully your model may be on their recent sales info.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Go PPL web. They are consignment sales that post what models of coaches have actually sold for on a fair market. Hopefully your model may be on their recent sales info.
Just checked it out. Good call on viewing the "going rate". Unfortunately, they didn't have my exact model but a couple of comparable ones. Based on what those sold for, it looks promising as to what I can get this one for.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #6

After doing some more research, the model is Monaco Knight 34 PST. Come on, throw out some numbers. Even if they are ranges.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:21 AM   #7
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
Here a 2002 Dip only two slides more miles, asking 46000. It's hard to compare the to models one is a little higher end but has only two slides.
2002 38' Monaco Diplomat w/2 slides
2002 knight
2002 Monaco Knight Diesel Pusher 32PBD Class A 300HP Double Slideout 37K
2002 excellent Monaco 38 feet contact me 11K
What are you wiling to pay?
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:58 AM   #8

Knight

Be aware that the 2002 Knight is based on the R4R chassis. This is one of the units on the recall list for trailing are failure.

Be certain that the trailing arms have been replaced or factor in the cost of replacement.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:25 AM   #9

NADA shows $28k to 32k depending on either 260 or 300 hp. That is ridiculously low for the real world of MH prices in Michigan.
IF
the trailing arms have been replaced and items like tires have been replaced recently I would expect price of $40-45,000.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J View Post
Here a 2002 Dip only two slides more miles, asking 46000. It's hard to compare the to models one is a little higher end but has only two slides.
2002 38' Monaco Diplomat w/2 slides
2002 knight
2002 Monaco Knight Diesel Pusher 32PBD Class A 300HP Double Slideout 37K
2002 excellent Monaco 38 feet contact me 11K
What are you wiling to pay?
Thank you for those links. Strange ad on the 11K one. I wonder if there's damage on it or something. What am I willing to pay? Not sure, I'm just looking for a smoking deal. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xydial View Post
Be aware that the 2002 Knight is based on the R4R chassis. This is one of the units on the recall list for trailing are failure.

Be certain that the trailing arms have been replaced or factor in the cost of replacement.
I read a little bit about that on some other threads. Interesting for sure. What is the "RSR" chassis? I looked up the VIN numbers and that's what it says it has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
NADA shows $28k to 32k depending on either 260 or 300 hp. That is ridiculously low for the real world of MH prices in Michigan.
IF
the trailing arms have been replaced and items like tires have been replaced recently I would expect price of $40-45,000.
I doubt the arms have been replaced. I'm pretty mechanical and a decent welder so maybe that's something I could handle myself. Tires look good but they're 8-9 years old and have been baking in the AZ sun, unused, for the last 3 years so I'm already going to factor in that cost.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #11

Basically, the moho is in need of some serious TLC. The vents have been left open and the inside is super dusty but after a quick inspection everything seems to work well. Under the dirt it's in pretty good shape. No tears in the fabric, couple of the day/night shade have broken strings, panel on the bathroom door has come unglued, couple light bulbs burned out, I think I saw one cabinet handle that was hanging by one screw...so just a bunch of little things.

The motor idles nice and drove real nice. I couldn't get the genny started for some reason. Even with a jump start from my truck it was just clicking like a dead battery. Do they have a separate battery from the house/coach batteries?

Exterior is faded, some spots are worse than others and one of the rear corners has a little fiberglass damage. He said he jackknifed a trailer while backing up.

I don't mind the little stuff and cleaning. My main concerns would be the motor, transmission, and genny. Because of the low mileage and low hours I would assume they're good but I'm no expert.

I currently own a 2006 Four Winds Hurricane with a V10. It's been a great moho but it's definitely on the "entry level" side of class A's. Very cheaply made with basic components. I came across this coach(friend's father-in-law owns it), and am seriously considering it. After talking to him, I'm pretty sure he would take between 20K-22K.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #12

Here are a couple pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmoho1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	81455   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmoho2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	81456  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bmoho3.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	81457   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmoho4.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	81458  

Old 12-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #13

Chizzle
Our Cayman is on an RR4R chassis which is similar to yours, and we knew about the trailing arms prior to purchasing it new from Camping World in Dec 2009. We did not know about the awful porpoising, or the 2700 lb heavier passenger rear causing us to purchase bigger tires that would hold more weight at less psi so the ride could smooth out. Long and short, if it has just four airbags, unless you are awfully handy and have better than $5k to send to Source Engineering, I would walk away. It is a Roadmaster in name only by Monaco having purchased Safari (came from Cheetah?) and while you can make it safe and ride okay, it will never ride like the Roadmaster 8 or 10 bag chassis. Source Engineering makes the trailing arms and also the ride enhancement kit you will need: Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR and you need a four corner weighing in order to determine which tires will handle the weight (be prepared for passenger rear to be much heavier) and not be maxed out as our original 255's were and rode about like solid rubber tires. You may contact me for more information about what we did if you like. Good luck
Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIZZLE View Post
Basically, the moho is in need of some serious TLC. The vents have been left open and the inside is super dusty but after a quick inspection everything seems to work well. Under the dirt it's in pretty good shape. No tears in the fabric, couple of the day/night shade have broken strings, panel on the bathroom door has come unglued, couple light bulbs burned out, I think I saw one cabinet handle that was hanging by one screw...so just a bunch of little things.

The motor idles nice and drove real nice. I couldn't get the genny started for some reason. Even with a jump start from my truck it was just clicking like a dead battery. Do they have a separate battery from the house/coach batteries?

Exterior is faded, some spots are worse than others and one of the rear corners has a little fiberglass damage. He said he jackknifed a trailer while backing up.

I don't mind the little stuff and cleaning. My main concerns would be the motor, transmission, and genny. Because of the low mileage and low hours I would assume they're good but I'm no expert.

I currently own a 2006 Four Winds Hurricane with a V10. It's been a great moho but it's definitely on the "entry level" side of class A's. Very cheaply made with basic components. I came across this coach(friend's father-in-law owns it), and am seriously considering it. After talking to him, I'm pretty sure he would take between 20K-22K.
Ok, my view point..........I would not spend my hard earned money on this Coach, Clearly has not been taken care of its whole life! Looks like it has spent its entire life outside in the desert with no care. Steel wheels? Where did the aluminum wheels go? Maybe it did not come with them? There are a ton of nice, well maintained Coach's out there for sale, I would rather pay more for a maintained Coach, than less for one that was not taken care of.........
With the condition of it, could not imagine the engine, transmission, generator being taken care of over its life either......I would keep looking, sorry to tell you this, I am being honest and it is my thoughts on a question asked. Take your time, I don't think this Coach is going anywhere fast........