RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What's This Thing Called: Screen Door Catch?

This month has been difficult on my coach. Fridge died, replacing with a Samsung. Black tank knife valve leaking into wet bay. Water pump died - looking for latching relay to troubleshoot. And now this...

Yesterday morning, my front door was frozen closed. My dog insisted she wanted to go out. I gave the door a shove, and broke the screen door catch that is mounted to the coach door. Looks like this, but should have a bump in it that catches the screen door and holds the latch open so that the screen door opens with the coach door:

I have looked at a bunch of replacement screen door handles, but none of them show this part. Does this typically come with the screen door handle hardware? Is it available by itself? If so, what is it called? I have put the Googler through the paces, but have not found anything yet.

Thanks!

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've seen them at CW and other RV places, but not as an individual unit. Looks like you have to buy both the latch and hook to get one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've seen them at CW and other RV places, but not as an individual unit. Looks like you have to buy both the latch and hook to get one.
I was afraid of that. I am a couple of hours from the nearest RV supply place, so I will call before I order to make sure that part is included. I was hoping to find it on its own so I don't have to pay $45 for a $2 part.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Dunno what the old one looked like, but will any of these work ?
Old 01-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Dunno what the old one looked like, but will any of these work ?
No, but when I changed to search term from "catch" to "latch", I found this item a few pages in. I think this might be it. I thought I had seen everything Amazon had to offer in the "rv screen door hardware" department. Guess not Thanks for sending me back over!

Old 01-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
and $7 shipping
might s well order 3 or 4 !
Old 01-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #7

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1484842239.368198.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  52.4 KB
I think that I have attached a photo of that catch. If not, I'll try again. The catch serves two functions. It simultaneously holds the screen door to the entry door and retracts the latch that holds the screen door to the coach door frame. That way the screen door opens with the entry door, but will hold the screen door in place when the entry door is held in the open position when you want to get ventilation without the bugs.

If that catch shifts, it will hold the entry door closed mimicking a main door latch problem. That must have been what happened to the OP and it broke off when he applied enough force to get the door open.

Dick L '04 HR Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLImperial View Post
Attachment 149530
I think that I have attached a photo of that catch. If not, I'll try again. The catch serves two functions. It simultaneously holds the screen door to the entry door and retracts the latch that holds the screen door to the coach door frame. That way the screen door opens with the entry door, but will hold the screen door in place when the entry door is held in the open position when you want to get ventilation without the bugs.

If that catch shifts, it will hold the entry door closed mimicking a main door latch problem. That must have been what happened to the OP and it broke off when he applied enough force to get the door open.

Dick L '04 HR Imperial
Yes, that is the thing there. I think I figured out what happened last night - it was the screen door that was frozen to the door jam, not the coach door. When I applied pressure to the coach door to open it, the screen door was frozen shut. It stayed, and the coach door opened. That was enough to break that plastic piece.

I ordered a couple of replacements, but now I am thinking to wait until spring to install. That wasn't the first time my door froze shut. The last time, I was on the outside, and it was a real bear to open. I am concerned that when it freezes again (like, most every night), I will break a new one. Or, just head south so a frozen door isn't a concern

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #9

The holes in that catch are somewhat larger than the diameter of the screws that hold it in place. First thing to do is to loosen them and see if you can shift the catch to increase the clearance of the latch "tongue" to the door frame. Next thing to do is look at the screen door and see if the release mechanism can be loosened and shift it away from the screen door edge. Mine clears the door just barely, but there is enough slop that it can be moved so that it won't accidentally cause a problem. My door got progressively "frozen" till I figured out where the problem was. As a final resort, you could shorten the screen door latch tongue a bit with a file. The total travel for that tongue is mort than a quarter inch, so you have plenty to work with.

Dick L
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think this is what you're looking for!

Chicken Beak.pdf

I'm not positive, but I think I bought that from Monaco parts. Check with them for this item.

SKU #08409458 Strike Screen Latch Door Attachment Rev. B, Bin 059C

If this is it, I paid $3.14 for it back in 2012.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I think this is what you're looking for!

Attachment 149541

I'm not positive, but I think I bought that from Monaco parts. Check with them for this item.

SKU #08409458 Strike Screen Latch Door Attachment Rev. B, Bin 059C

If this is it, I paid $3.14 for it back in 2012.
Yup, that is the part! Thanks for the drawing. I ordered some from Amazon the other day, and will use the drawing measurements when this one comes in to assure it is the right one.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by digNbubbs View Post
Yup, that is the part! Thanks for the drawing. I ordered some from Amazon the other day, and will use the drawing measurements when this one comes in to assure it is the right one.

Thanks!

Yup, I see that on Amazon! Good price but shipping kinda expensive!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Yup, I see that on Amazon! Good price but shipping kinda expensive!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
haha - yea. Shipping. I ordered a few, and the shipping only went up by a few cents. I will have spares!

Tags
cat, door, led, scr