Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #1

Wheel Bearings/Front Brakes

2004 Endeavor 40 PST

The coach has 29,000 miles on it. Should I consider repacking from wheel bearings? The coach when not used is store inside a storage building.

Also when I first drive the coach after it has been sitting for a few days the front brakes squeak loudly when applied and it will go away within a few miles after the brake shoes heat up.

Is this normal? If not what should I do?
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The squeal is normal, unfortunately. It's surface rust on the drum. As far as wheel bearings, check on this forum as a lot of folks swap over to oil bath hubs. Cost isn't that much difference than a bearing pack other than a new hub cover.

I know that the manufacturers all suggest annual bearing pack and inspections and that's fine, but in reality it isn't done by that many folks and I don't see a lot of coaches off on the sides with bad bearings. You should do them now to satisfy yourself as the factory isn't the most generous with grease at times. After that it's your call. Oil bath eliminates the need to do anything with the bearings unless there is a leak or other issue.

Trucking companies don't inspect many bearings as a course of normal maintenance - I hear about that comment in sure. We have the luxury of worrying about all this stuff and probably more free time on these forums that is the RDA.

Do something with them now, and you will have a starting point from here.

Good luck,

Allen
dieselbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had my wheel bearings repacked when we first bought out 2002 Windsor in late 2008, it had ~55 K miles on it. After that I would take the cover off of the wheel hub and add some new grease, I had a long large syringe that I could inject grease into the center of the hub.

Finally decided to have mine converted to oil bath in 2013, my wife had the coach down in Florida and took it to Josam's near Orlando. Cost was ~$400, not much more then a repack.

Now I just pop the half moon off and look at the oil level in the end cap. If I choose to change the oil it is just a matter of taking the plug out, drain the oil, put plug back in, and fill with oil. Probably ~$25 in oil.

If my coach sits for any length of time the brakes will squeal a little but goes away quickly. BTW we have ~106K miles on our rig.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Robert I decided to install oilers at about 65,000 miles and my bearings and grease were in great shape and didn't need repacking and I think yours defiantly don't need it at 30,000 jmo.
As has been stated the squealing is probably rust, when I park my coach after driving in a rain or wet I ride the brakes enough to warm them up before parking as they can stick with rust and be a bear to pop them loose.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes