Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #1

wheel liner fenders

On my 2006 Exec. the potential damage caused by a blown tire is considerable. I am looking into installing steel wheel liners from big trucks or custom made. I want a flat tire to be a short term problem, not weeks of repair and likely more expense than the fender liners. Have any of you looked into this?
bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #2

I made ones for the rear after a blow out I used metal made by TRW called ware plate I have seen pictures of how the damage can be I got lucky
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bair,
So you'd need 4 (or 6, or 8 ... depending on how you count them) steel wheel-wells. Consider that any big truck that would have them only need 2 (their steering axles). This steel would have to be of some SERIOUS gauge in order to perform as you hope....hence some serious weight. To accommodate the new weight, you'd have to leave the basement cargo storage empty, and maybe even leave DW and de dog at home. Wait-a-minit......... You may be onto something here!!!
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #4

I would need 8 if they would all fit. I am guessing 25 lbs each or 200 lbs, with my tag axle that is not an issue.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #5

My home made ones weigh maybe 70pounds ware plate is fairly hard it can be drilled but not easy I used 5/32 in
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #6

I have seen heavy guage aluminum that is much lighter. Yes, it may dent but would still take the brunt of the impact.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
It takes some pretty serious steel to take the beating from a tire blowout with the tread coming off. I have seen them rip three inch chanel iron out from under a semi trailer and take quarter fenders off the frame on class 8 trucks.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #8

robi, stuhly...you are correct....semi fenders usually do not hold up to tire explosions. Anything made thick and strong enough with enough mounting that it won't fall off will need to be put in place with a floor jack. Many Rvs do not have that extra weight available to be added

An exploding tire with 100psi goes off like a or several stick(s) of dynomite!