Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Where does this go?

Driving down the interstate today I noticed something hanging out back by the muffler. Stopped and it was a large round flex duct. Upon further examination I determined it went to the air filter (I think). What I don't know it where is the other end supposed to be attached to?

First image is what its attached to, second image is the duct tucked away and being held up by a bungee cord. Where does the loose end go?
Reelgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #2

The first picture is the air filter housing.

The second picture looks like the air inlet hose that runs from the housing up the corner of the MH to the inlet grill (top corner).

Maybe the hose has come loose and fell down.

Good Luck.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
With that type of hose is should be the air intake hose that connects to where ever the air intake is located. By far not the best hose for that purpose as the restriction losses are high and I would have the air filter serviced asap as it is most likely full of dirt now.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #4

The canister in your picture is the air filter. The other should be attached to the air intake somewhere on the rear corner of your coach. Mine is about 2 feet below the roof line on the curve where the side wall meets the back of the coach. I'll see if I can locate a picture of your coach showing it.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #5

Old 03-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, now I know where it goes, what keeps it in place? I see nothing that it would attach to. Can I service the filter myself? I'm in the middle of the darn desert!
Reelgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #7

Don't know what secures it but I would take the grill off and see if there is an elbow attached. Worst case its tie wrap time.

See page 292 of the owners manual for filter change. I would not try to change it until I had a replacement. About a $70 filter. Part number is on the end of the filter. You can access the filter by taking off the cover but not pulling the filter. also would let you assess the state of the filter.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #8

I buy most of my filters from www.Ryder truck rental/parts.com the air filter goes for about $50 a lot cheaper than in town parts stores. Some times just a good Air blowing off after taking the filter out will suffice.

Steve
SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If you remove the tail light assy -- four screws os somehting simple like that -- you cxan look up that corner and see the bottom of the air inlet, maybe get a tool on the hose from there.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You'd not want to leave it hanging. The air inlet is up there to get it out of the way of the dust kicked up by your rear wheels. Sure, your filter will protect your engine, but you'll load up that filter faster. And them things ain't real cheap.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:57 AM   #11
YC1

Your owners manual should have the filter part number. Remove it carefully and wipe the inside with a damp cloth before installing a new one.

The top left rear corner is your air intake grill. Remove it, connect new hose, and drop the new hose down the shaft. Does not look like you can provide any support from there on yours. I have a rear corner door and can see my hose easily,.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:48 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Like others have stated you need to get that hose either attached to the intake inlet with a large hose clamp or at least up and away from the dust and dirt as it is a large vacuum now sucking up anything it can.
As to changing it unless you have a new filter I would not open it up until I reset the filter minder and looked to see what it said what you hope to see is a indications of some vacuum and short of it indicating the filter is plugged.
If you are forced to open it clean around the outside housing very good then open it and inspect it. If it looks like it is damaged or full of dirt you can pull the filter very carefully and wipe the inside of the housing with a clean damp cloth and use a fresh one to wipe inside the hose going to the engine and look for any dust indications in the hose going towards the engine.
Short of a new filter trying to blow the filter clean with air or some other way to rid it of dust and dirt is not a good idea as you can not control dust getting into the wrong side of the filter. If the filter is damaged it needs to be changed right away so you do not harm the engine.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Does anyone know where to get a replacement for this air intake?
wengayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wengayle View Post
Does anyone know where to get a replacement for this air intake?
When you say This air intake what are you talking about?