Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Where is my inverter?????

2004 Holiday Rambler according to the options list there was an inverter installed. It says it was an upgrade and is 130 watt inverter, where would it be?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Since you did not give a model no one can give you an exact location. In general the inverter is located close to the battery compartment.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I guess you mean a 1300 watt inverter. Should be next to the batter compartment.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #4

yeah if it was a 130 watt it was a car plug in type and some one toke it with them
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Better be allot more than 1300 watt.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrbe View Post
2004 Holiday Rambler according to the options list there was an inverter installed. It says it was an upgrade and is 130 watt inverter, where would it be?
Some of the early models may have had an option for an inverter that only supplies the television. It could be loacted near the television.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Some of the early models may have had an option for an inverter that only supplies the television. It could be loacted near the television.
It could be, but it's more likely near the batteries. The 12 volt power going in as at least 10 times as many amps as the 120 volt power going out. So you need much bigger cables on the 12V side. It's better to put the inverter close to the battery, and run the AC wiring the long distance since the wires are smaller and less expensive.

Start at the batteries. Trace the larger cables to see where they run, especially if it looks like they head to an adjacent compartment. Odd are you'll find the inverter at the end of one of those heavier cables.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My inverter is in the compartment behind the water heater. There are sliding access doors in the storage bay next to that compartment to get access to the inverter and the rear of the water heater. Your coach may be totally different! Good luck!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #9

I'm just guessing here, but if there is an inverter installed, it's probably an inverter/charger and the charging side is 130 amps.

But again... I'm just guessing.

In the last 10 years I have not seen any mfg install anything smaller than a 2000 watt inverter, but without additional information, it impossible to say.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
It could be, but it's more likely near the batteries. The 12 volt power going in as at least 10 times as many amps as the 120 volt power going out. So you need much bigger cables on the 12V side. It's better to put the inverter close to the battery, and run the AC wiring the long distance since the wires are smaller and less expensive.

Start at the batteries. Trace the larger cables to see where they run, especially if it looks like they head to an adjacent compartment. Odd are you'll find the inverter at the end of one of those heavier cables.
A 130 watt inverter will draw between 12 and 15 amps at 12 VDC. It is not uncommon to run 20 amp load 12 volt DC lines some distance from the battery. Stop and think about the electric brakes on a trailer. Yes I know there is voltage drop the higher the current and the longer the distance but it is done all the time in vehicles. Remember we are talking about a 130 watt inverter here not a 2000 watt inverter. Sometime take a look at the DC bus distribution in your front run bay. Very large wire up there.

Now I don't know for sure that his inverter is located near the television but I do know that many manufacturers of motorhomes would offer a small inverter to power only the television as an option. Since that option was not always there and associated with the television, it makes sense that it could be located near the television.

Bob
Old 11-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Remember we are talking about a 130 watt inverter here not a 2000 watt inverter.
You are correct, if it is indeed a 130 Watt inverter. But there is some question whether that number is a typo and it is actually larger. I have a portable 140 watt inverter, and it does indeed plug into a regular cigar lighter socket, and is a bit smaller (and much lighter) than a typical masonry brick. The heavy wires running to the front run bay could easily handle it.

But most motorhome inverters I've seen are substantially larger, draw more like 200 Amps at full load, and would not be so far from the battery.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
You are correct, if it is indeed a 130 Watt inverter. But there is some question whether that number is a typo and it is actually larger. I have a portable 140 watt inverter, and it does indeed plug into a regular cigar lighter socket, and is a bit smaller (and much lighter) than a typical masonry brick. The heavy wires running to the front run bay could easily handle it.

But most motorhome inverters I've seen are substantially larger, draw more like 200 Amps at full load, and would not be so far from the battery.
Adam,

He does not indicate the model of Holiday Rambler he has an his signature still says he has a National RV model that is gas. Assuming he stayed with gas and his Holiday Rambler is the sister model to the Monaco Monarch, I looked up the brochure for a 2004 Monarch. Here:
http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFil...4Monarchse.pdf

On page 16 it list an Option for a 130 watt inverter. It does not indicate that it is only for the television up front or how it is wired. Maybe someone who owns a Monarch will chime in.

Bob
Old 11-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post

In the last 10 years I have not seen any mfg install anything smaller than a 2000 watt inverter, but without additional information, it impossible to say.
Our 2014 has a 600 watt inverter from the factory.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post

Our 2014 has a 600 watt inverter from the factory.
What does it do?
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter