RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #1

Where is my Solar Charger Controller????

I'm in the process of purchase stuff for my upcoming solar upgrade installation from one approximately 150 Watt panel to four 260 WATT panels.

I've a Magnum ME with a AGS and a MS2812 Magnum Inverter on a 12 Volt battery AGM system.

After talking with Magnum, it appears obvious (?) that I will need to upgrade my current charger controller. But I simply can't find that darn thing!!!!! I've looked in every storage compartment I can reach - including the obvious ones like the batter compartments, areas around my generator, around the inverter and Auto Gen Start systems etc. But it's no where to be found. Any ideas where Monaco - in their infinite wisdom - may have hidden it????? Where is yours????

Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Where is my solar charger

Hello

The signature coach has the RV-45D charge controller and it can handle more panels, however with increasing your solar panel numbers and size to 240 watts X how many you are right to upgrade. The charge controller in mine is located in the first bay behind fuel tank/driver side attached to the ceiling. It is also connected into your Alladin system. On your roof the combiner box is where the cables from solar panel enter and drop directly down to basement to connect to solar charge controller.

hope this helps

Norweta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Should be in the ceiling near your inverter/charger . You are going to need a 80+ amp mppt controller and hook 2 or all 4 of your panels in series to get the voltage high enough...100V+ so the wires from the roof are large enough.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norweta View Post
Hello

The signature coach has the RV-45D charge controller and it can handle more panels, however with increasing your solar panel numbers and size to 240 watts X how many you are right to upgrade. The charge controller in mine is located in the first bay behind fuel tank/driver side attached to the ceiling. It is also connected into your Alladin system. On your roof the combiner box is where the cables from solar panel enter and drop directly down to basement to connect to solar charge controller.

hope this helps
Thanks for this suggestion, but nope. Not there either.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Should be in the ceiling near your inverter/charger . You are going to need a 80+ amp mppt controller and hook 2 or all 4 of your panels in series to get the voltage high enough...100V+ so the wires from the roof are large enough.
Nope. I looked there originally thing that's a logical place - next to or at least near the Inverter and the AGS.

Yep on the 80A+ AMP MPPT Controller That's what Magna said. But they only have the PT-100 and it's $1,000 through them!! Or about $860 through a distributor.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
150v/85 amp Victron MPPT SmartSolar Charge Controller with built in Bluetooth - $687.65 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smart...dp/B07FCT2L7Y/

I have the 100/50 version of this and it's great!
Old 04-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #7

This is well beyond my paygrade!!!! And it's giving me brain-muscle spasms!!!!

I've decided to do a drive-by (as the installer calls it) for the installation center I was planning on having do the work. While I offered to pay for their tech's time to do a 1/2 walk-thru of my coach and it's systems, the Service Manager said he do a free-be to ascertain what I need so that when I arrive for my already schedule install, we'd have everything needed. That - and the fact that I was referred to him by another very happy solar customer of there- works for me!!!

I'll let you'll know what the outcome is when I return.

Thanks all for your input.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You probably have 8 gauge wire from the roof to the controller. It will only work with that many watts if you run panels in series and parallel to get high voltage. Doing that will also determine your controller needed and will depend on the voltage of the panels.

My controller was in the drivers side second bay ceiling. I located the Morningstar Tristar MPPR 60 curbside beside the inverter. The 8 gauge wire came from the roof past the inverter and then across to the other side where they had located the charger.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My 08 Navigator was pre-wired for solar but finding the wires was a challenge. Finally found a pair of large red/black wires in the ceiling of the wet bay (drivers side) headed forward to the next bay with the inverter on the other side of the bay. Maybe this will help.

OP, I finally realized you have raised rails along each side of your 06 Sig...same as my 08 Navigator. You might be interested in my 800W (ended up 900W) DIY installation. I did not have enough non shaded areas for large panels so I mounted my 100W panels to the driver side raised rail and they tilt.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:22 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
my diy is under “Going Green” at the bottom of the first page of posts.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Something is up with the site...my picture are gone and you cannot quote them.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
I'm in the process of purchase stuff for my upcoming solar upgrade installation from one approximately 150 Watt panel to four 260 WATT panels.

I've a Magnum ME with a AGS and a MS2812 Magnum Inverter on a 12 Volt battery AGM system.

After talking with Magnum, it appears obvious (?) that I will need to upgrade my current charger controller. But I simply can't find that darn thing!!!!! I've looked in every storage compartment I can reach - including the obvious ones like the batter compartments, areas around my generator, around the inverter and Auto Gen Start systems etc. But it's no where to be found. Any ideas where Monaco - in their infinite wisdom - may have hidden it????? Where is yours????

If you have not found your OEM. Solar charge controller yet...look in the same bay your investor is in....but on the ceiling on the driver side. You should take a screw driver and let the head liner in the bay come down a bit. It should be mounted above the compartment head liner.
That's were mine was on my 05 Dynasty. The new MPPT controller is surface mounted on the headliner. I figured it would stay cooler that way. It has an internal cooling fan that comes on once in a while
Good Luck, and let us know where you found it 🤔
Enjoy your new solar set up
LSBEH.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #13

Mine was behind bedroom tv.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is under the bed along with the Aladdin junction boxes.

https://enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, solar