Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Where is the Garmin Navigation System 2008 HR Navigator

We recently purchased a 2008 HR Navigator with 7000 miles on it. The Garmin navigation system needs update. (original one exist) Can/does anyone know where to locate the driver for it so an update can be loaded? I have called Monaco and they suggested it may be behind the front TV. This unit was a personal build, and TV was not installed. It has cabinets in it's place. An RV tech took a quick look behind the dash where the screen is. Not a lot of time was devoted to it, but nothing located. Is there someplace else this unit might be????
Fultimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO,
I wouldn't bother with it...
It is probably ten year old technology and not worth updating...

My bro-in-laws 2009 Phaeton's gps was archaic !
As is the one in our 2011 Monaco.

For the cost of the ONE TIME update (if you can find it),
you can get a current Garmin RV760 that has lifetime maps and updates,
rv specific features, and can be used in multiple vehicles...

That's what me AND my bro-in-law did - got a portable and he too got the Garmin RV760 .

I will NEVER buy a gps from a mfg again, even in cars !
the one in the wife's Audi Q5 had 3 year old maps when we leased it,
and no updates ever came out for it...

Her Explorer sport's gps is marginal at best...
she uses a portable garmin gps in it that has current maps and programs...

Good luck with it.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

I believe the unit is under the cover on the right hand side of the dash. You will have to take the cover off and look for the navigation sending unit.
I have a 08 Sig and that is where I found mine.
koole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The Garmin GVN 52 should be behind the dash and accessible once the dash cover is off. You may have to root around all the wires and other devices to expose it.

That being said the last update available for the GVN 52 June 2011. It is no longer supported. I have a friend who updates my custom POI's each year, but the maps are 4 years old.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/coll...t=010-00495-12

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
IMHO,
I wouldn't bother with it...
It is probably ten year old technology and not worth updating...

My bro-in-laws 2009 Phaeton's gps was archaic !
As is the one in our 2011 Monaco.

For the cost of the ONE TIME update (if you can find it),
you can get a current Garmin RV760 that has lifetime maps and updates,
rv specific features, and can be used in multiple vehicles...

That's what me AND my bro-in-law did - got a portable and he too got the Garmin RV760 .

I will NEVER buy a gps from a mfg again, even in cars !
the one in the wife's Audi Q5 had 3 year old maps when we leased it,
and no updates ever came out for it...

Her Explorer sport's gps is marginal at best...
she uses a portable garmin gps in it that has current maps and programs...

Good luck with it.
We have been on the road full time for 19 years. In all the years of travelling, we have used a laptop with the Delorme Street atlas. It works well, but that is just moving another piece of equipment to utilize. If all else fails, we will continue to utilize this practice.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by koole View Post
I believe the unit is under the cover on the right hand side of the dash. You will have to take the cover off and look for the navigation sending unit.
I have a 08 Sig and that is where I found mine.
Thank you, that is one place we have not looked. As we understand it, it is a rats nest in there. But it may be worth the time to try to locate it in this area. We are aware there are current updates for this system and would prefer to load it verses utilizing a laptop with the street atlas program. Thank you
Old 12-14-2015, 05:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
The Garmin GVN 52 should be behind the dash and accessible once the dash cover is off. You may have to root around all the wires and other devices to expose it.

That being said the last update available for the GVN 52 June 2011. It is no longer supported. I have a friend who updates my custom POI's each year, but the maps are 4 years old.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/coll...t=010-00495-12
Thanks for the info. In our research, we find there is an update for 2015, for $99. It can be downloaded from Garmin online. Now we just need to find the unit to apply the update.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
As Harry stated, that "update" is at least 4 years old... and it's probably just a software update - no map update ... So it will probably help you in Australia, the UK, and Canada
Change History

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.60:

• Improved compatibility with Australian maps.
  • Added support for files larger than 2GB.
  • Corrected handling of corrupt weather data.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:

• Corrected some missing address search results in Europe.
  • Corrected a route simulator error.
  • Added support for Canadian traffic.
  • Improved extended postal code search results for the UK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	114128  
Old 12-14-2015, 07:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I too passed on trying to update the original GPS and also purchased a new Garmin RV760. I am very happy with this decision and how the new GPS works.

The 760 comes with free map updates for life.

Good luck with the new too you Navigator. We have been fulltiming in ours for 1.5 years. Purchased our Nav in August of 2013.

Stuart
Old 12-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
On my '01 Exec, the stack of everything that feeds the Kenwood is under a hatch on the top of the driver's side dash.
Lot's of stuff in there...but locate the GPS unit and look for a small door that flips up to expose an SD chip adaptor. Depress with a fingernail and it will slide out enough to get two fingers on it. Remove and then remove the microchip in the adaptor.
The GPS section of the Kenwood is Garmin and their web site has info on updating the GPS firmware (do it first!) and then the map data.
The firmware is free...the map data gets pricey at 99.
The original GPS, AM-FM radio, backup camera monitor and whatever else was a Panasonic which had data on CD's in a separate player located in the overhead compartment. I got rid of it in favor of the Kenwood.
tomgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #11
YC1

My vote is for a new portable one that can be mounted in a much more convenient place. Visibility is better and using it while driving is easy and safer that looking down at the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	114350  

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
My vote is for a new portable one that can be mounted in a much more convenient place. Visibility is better and using it while driving is easy and safer that looking down at the dash.
Great idea. May have to look into something like this.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #13
YC1

The features of an RV friendly GPS are worth leaving the old system behind. Cruising down the road and I want to find a rest stop is so easy. A couple of punches on the touch screen and my options pop up. Need fuel at a truck stop? Simple again and small fuel stations are not shown. Campgrounds, ratings and phone numbers come up. With warts and all the Rand McNally does a great job.

The mount is from Ram mounts. They are rock solid and versatile.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote