Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Where is the real Monaco/HR?

It has been said that the dealers want motorhomes with 4-5 TVs, outside entertainment systems, 4 slides, and lots of glitz. The letters section of the February 2015 issue of MotorHome magazine raised the question: Do motorhome buyers want amenities or quality? The overwhelming response, motorhome buyers want quality.

Look at the Class A gas coaches under 34 feet. For the most part they are all full of cheap materials, poor construction, and they look it. This includes the HR models. They sell for $100 - 225,000.

Our 2003 Monaco Trek has solid wood cabinets, all the equipment that a large, premium coach would have. It is a premium, quality coach. Monaco won't build it again. And yet buyers snap them up as soon as they come on the market. Probably would be in the $170 - 190,000 price range now. Go figure?

There are a large group of buyers who want quality, not cheap, glitzy gadgets. That is the real Monaco/HR that people are looking for.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #2

Which is why we looked for a coach in the 1999 to 2004 range & it took us 3 years to find our 2000 Dynasty. She's still nice on the outside that many are surprised she's now 16 years old. Does she need a little updating to carpets and upholstery?? Sure. Are we dealing with appliance failures? Oh yes. But we would not have a new one poorly built.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
Which is why we looked for a coach in the 1999 to 2004 range & it took us 3 years to find our 2000 Dynasty. She's still nice on the outside that many are surprised she's now 16 years old. Does she need a little updating to carpets and upholstery?? Sure. Are we dealing with appliance failures? Oh yes. But we would not have a new one poorly built.

X2

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
FMCA U60 Task Force Chairman
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The reality is we will get whatever makes the dealer and the manufacturer the most money. Most consumers chose price before quality.

Near as I can see, newer MH's offer nothing I don't already have.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
The reality is we will get whatever makes the dealer and the manufacturer the most money. Most consumers chose price before quality.

Near as I can see, newer MH's offer nothing I don't already have.
So true and better built motorhome from the new one they're manufacturing nowadays.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'd say they are producing what the buying public is purchasing.

The 5th wheel industry went through this over the past decade, non of the quality manufactures are left. Nuwa , Pederson Industries, Newmar they along with others are all gone or have quit, cause the buying public buys bling over quality.

I'd say when the buying public is ready to pay for quality or blng and perceived value nothing will change.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
When we bought our 2013 Ambassador (new 60th anniversary) we compared many class A motorhomes. Came down to an Anthem or the Ambassador. Both had options we wanted. Two deciding factors were, had propane and no DPF on the Ambassador. The Anthem was all electric and had Aqua Hot (did not care for either). Price point aside, we are extreamly happy with our choice. This is is our 3rd MH. The 2016 Ambassador is no camparison to the 2013.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #8

X2 regarding quality, especially on the Safari and early Monaco-built motorhomes. When we bought out first TREK in 1995, the salesman said these were rarely bought by first timers; they wanted to see lots of Glitz and mirrors.

Some years ago, I was able to attend the RVIA manufacturers & dealers show in Louisville. Talking with the president of a motorhome company, he said that he was expected to bring a major new feature to the show every year to attract dealers. This took much of his time as compared to the European manufacturers who would introduce one new design, then spend years fine tuning and improving it. I don't think things have changed much since that time.

Regarding RV cost. The list price of our 1999 TREK was $99,000. A loaded Airstream Interstate Class B reviewed in the latest Motorhome magazine is $167,120 (!), so a Class A TREK correctly produced today would be much more than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekegb View Post
It has been said that the dealers want motorhomes with 4-5 TVs, outside entertainment systems, 4 slides, and lots of glitz. The letters section of the February 2015 issue of MotorHome magazine raised the question: Do motorhome buyers want amenities or quality? The overwhelming response, motorhome buyers want quality.

Look at the Class A gas coaches under 34 feet. For the most part they are all full of cheap materials, poor construction, and they look it. This includes the HR models. They sell for $100 - 225,000.

Our 2003 Monaco Trek has solid wood cabinets, all the equipment that a large, premium coach would have. It is a premium, quality coach. Monaco won't build it again. And yet buyers snap them up as soon as they come on the market. Probably would be in the $170 - 190,000 price range now. Go figure?

There are a large group of buyers who want quality, not cheap, glitzy gadgets. That is the real Monaco/HR that people are looking for.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We never really looked at new RV's when going through the process of finding something we liked then onto buying one. We ended up with a 2004 Camelot which we thought looked really nice for something 12 years old. Well I guess my neighbor had to have something better so he sold his 2006 HR and bought a new 2016 Entegra. Don't get me wrong it looks great from the street but when we looked inside I was not impressed. The fit and finished lacked a lot to be desired. Lots of cheaper parts used in place of quality parts. I am glad we bought used....but then again we could have never afforded something new anyway. We feel fortunate to have found something as nice as we have.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:45 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We went to the RV show in Seattle this past winter. It is apparent that any of the coach manufacturers that survived the recession are building on the cheap. People are financing and going into debt again like 2008 never happened! We bought our 2006 HR in 2012. It doesn't have an outside kitchen, but it has lots of windows to look out of while you are cooking inside! I prefer to use a barbeque to cook outside the coach. A fireplace and TV that comes out of it would be nice, but I don't have a wall to put it on due to all the windows. The cost of American labor and the regulations placed on the coach builders, along with the fact that people don't want the hassle of maintenance with an older coach will continue to drive this craze. Someone will find the market for those customers that prefer quality over glitz, and demand will shift the curve back. Until then, we will see more Rolling Tombs!

Tags
monaco