Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Where to mount CB antenna on Neptune?

I have an 07 Neptune and would like to mount a Firestik NGP side-mount antenna on the drivers side. Would be nice to hear from Neptune or Cayman owners that have done this and can recommend the best location. As always I'd appreciate recommendations from other Monaco/HR owners that have done this too. Also would you suggest the 3' or 4' antenna. If I did it correctly a driver side picture of my coach will appear below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Neptune.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	532  
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can put it just above the driver's window, just behind the windshield. This will allow you to run the coax down the inside of the pillar. You could also run the shorty on the roof, the same way Monaco installs them from the factory. Just get the non-ground plane Firestick.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I just finished installing the Firestick 3' on my Cayman. I really messed up. I drilled the holes right between the front window & the windshield like I saw pictures of on other M.H. That's not where you want it on a Cayman/Neptune. You need to be closer to the windshield because of the way the side wall is attached to the front cap. The holes should be drilled about 1 1/2" closer to the windshield than to the front side window. Make shure that you order the no ground plane kit.

I selected the 3 ft. kit because you need to keep 2/3 of the antenna above the roof.
With the 3 ft. antenna it doesn't stick up too high.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If I did it right, here is a picture of where I attached my antenna. If you go any higher, you can't reach the nuts to tighten them. It's hard enough to get the nuts on with the antenna as high as it is.

Also, don't predrill pilot holes. Use a brad point drill that has a small center on it. You will get a much cleaner hole that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0039.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	533  
Old 05-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttj View Post
If I did it right, here is a picture of where I attached my antenna...
losttj...You did it right!! Congrats on getting it done!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I had a CB and I put it in myself. On our first trip I could not stand all of the out spoken truckers. On my third trip I took it out and placed it in the trash.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Don that is what I thought.

losttj, thank you for the visual. Your driver window is a bit higher than mine but I can see that a 3' will work for me also.

Dogman635UT as usual a few ruin it for others.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #8

i dont know much about cb stuff but i do know this .a good freind of mine just put one of those antennas on his holiday rambler 2007 endeavor and i asked him how he liked where he put it and said it sucked because of the wind noise it was creating.he put it on the drivers side about a foot down from the roof line almost in line where your head is while driving .i think it was a 3ft antenna.if you need more info i could look at it tomorrow and get back to you.

eric
Old 06-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #9

So what you guys are saying is the antenna that is stock on the coach really stinks???? I was thinking of installing a cb just for the sake of having a cb in the event of............What are your thoughts?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
So what you guys are saying is the antenna that is stock on the coach really stinks???? I was thinking of installing a cb just for the sake of having a cb in the event of............What are your thoughts?
Ed,

The main reason for having a CB is so you can find out about traffic problems and so others can notify you if there is a problem with your coach. The stock antenna will do OK for receiving conversations at a range of about 1 mile. It does not work very well for transmitting but most of us don't care to hold a conversation with vehicles that are not within a few hundred yards. I keep my squelch tuned up so I only receive strong signals from vehicles close by.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #11

Ok, I have located the two white wires with a connector on for cb, one is marked cb 1 and other is cb 2. Can anyone tell me about the two wires, I had thought that a cb needs one power wire and on wire for a ground. If this is true what would the second white wire be for??? Has anyone tried a thru window antenna?? like the old cell phone antenna?

Thanks

Ed
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #12

ok, # 1 was hot and #2 was a ground. We will see how it works this weekend.