Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Which Cell Provider

We currently have Verizon cell phone service, which is really expensive. Thinking of going with T-Mobile, which is a good deal less expensive. Anybody have any input on their coverage, while traveling, wi-fi, etc.
Grady Ray
Grady Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We've used Verizon for years and, through 44 states and 5 provinces we were always happy with the coverage for both voice and internet connection.

It's good you're doing your homework before changing because I've read here that other carriers might have spotty coverage once away from major metros.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If lots of data use isn't required, check out PagePlus Celllular - it's a Verizon subsidiary, uses the Verizon network, but data limits are low(er) than through Verizon. Kitty Wireless is a reseller for PagePlus.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

Kitty Wireless PagePlus Page Plus Cellular Online Premier Dealer

Your current cell phone should work on the PagePlus network.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I traveled the lower 48 states the past 2 years. I still work and I need Internet service. I have a AT&T iPhone with a hot spot and a Verizon hot spot. The Verizon worked everywhere we went except most national forest or parks. AT&T is almost useless. The phone and data worked 25% of the time.
I never tried the small carriers.
I'm going to switch everything over to Verizon soon.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #5

I use to have sprint service after having Nextel for several years. Nextel was phased out and merged into sprint. After suffering through about a year of service with sprint I paid several hundred bucks to get out of my families contract. Horrible service. Numerous dropped calls. Didn't receive calls. Miss call and folks would leave me a voice mail and I would receive notification of voice mail a day later. I had all I could stand. Had Verizon about 2.5 years now and it works fantastic. Very few places I've been that phone would not work. With that being said, Verizon is quite a bit more expensive. But if it works to me it's worth it.

Lately sprint has been advertising new network and better coverage. My salesman at the local lumberyard had sprint until 2 months ago. He said sprint just as bad as always. He said he averaged 10 dropped calls per day and at least 4 calls he wouldn't receive. This is my $.02 worth for coverage in central north carolina and many places I've traveled.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
AT&T works very well as long as you are camping in a big city. Unfortunately, we usually don't head to the big cities when we go camping...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #7

I called Verizon the other day and talked to them about our $135/month bill for 2 smart phones. We use very little data. I was not adversarial, even complimented them on excellent coverage.

The CS rep. reduced our bill to $85/month, reduced our data limit to 250 Mb (more than we use) and added unlimited voice and texting (we had 450 minutes voice which we hardly used and texting was pay as you go, about two bits per text).

A lot better deal than we had before.
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Advantages T-Mobile:
Unlimited Voice
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data however there are plan limits on "high speed" (4G) data. after that they take you down a "G".

They also offer Wi-Fi Calling, that is my phone can make calls via the internet if there is an open router nearby.. Of course many phones make that claim I do not know why T-mobile is not advertising it..

Where I am parked,, That's the only way for me to make calls (And I'm less than 4 miles from the tower too).

I have been lucky in that when T-Mobile is not usable, park Wi-Fi has been,, But still.. Verizon has better coverage.

AT&T claims to be improving.. have not been able to test (and my phone should switch to AT&T if they have a tower and T-mobile does not)

I have been with T-Mobile.... a long time But I still can not give you a glowing recommendation, they just do not have enough GREEN on their coverage map.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #9

The others are cheaper for a reason. That reason is far worse coverage.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We have been around the country with ATT - Had good coverage all the way except Yellowstone and a couple remote places. We have two phones and a hot spot for internet. Happy with the service so far but may look for cheaper internet.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #11

You need to check out Ting
JIm
bigjim8499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Ray View Post
We currently have Verizon cell phone service, which is really expensive. Thinking of going with T-Mobile, which is a good deal less expensive. Anybody have any input on their coverage, while traveling, wi-fi, etc.
Grady Ray
Doesn't look like you got an answer to your question about T-mobile coverage, wi-fi etc.
So my response is no better, but I do have a suggestion. I have always used Verizon and never been disappointed. As for expense, CALL Verizon and talk to them. Their Customer Service is great! Ask them if there are ways to lower your costs, most times they can help by looking at your usage, etc and suggesting a different plan. Also ask if there are any discounts that apply to you. I was with Verizon Wireless for 5 or 6 years before I found out they had a discount for retired military! DUH! 15% is nothin' to sneeze at!

Also, go on their site and look at coverage maps of Verizon and their major competitors, (or maybe ya have to google it) but either way, they can't lie about that (or the other companies would be after them).

Hope some T-mobile folks answer your question, but you might want to give Verizon a call and see what they can do for you. NO, I don't work for Verizon, just a very satisfied customer. They have always met my needs and I have never tried anyone else. For me it is a "don't fix somethin' that ain't broke" scenario.

good luck
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #13

We have stayed with Verizon for 8 years. The coverage is great. Our only issues are at some NPs and National Wildlife Refuges. But usually at the NWR its a line of site, tree issue . At those we use a Wilson Trucker Antenna hooked up to Rons flip phone and to our JetPack. While it may be pricier than other carriers its one of those "pay to play" items in our budget.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #14

I can't stand Verizon, they have unethical billing practices, rude customer service and cost a lot of money when compared to other companies. I use T-Mobile because I travel overseas a lot and they have free data and texting in 100+ countries, plus their phone rates are very reasonable. As far as coverage goes, if I can't get a cell signal I make a call on wifi since T-Mobile phones do this. BTW, I run a business from the road and have never missed anything important due to T-Mobiles perceived lack of coverage.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote