Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

which liability insurance do you have- why do you like it

I just got my renewal bill for my auto insurance which also includes my mh coverage. It's climbing up there pretty high in my mind, 827 and right now the mh is in storage. I have 3 older cars on the policy beside the mh , and don't drive much over 5000. total mi/year.

I would be interested to understand what others are getting and why you like what you have. Is it good coverage and at the best possible price? I realize it may be hard subject to get into, thanks for any reply in advance.

Loren
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #2

Did I read this right? $827 a year to cover three cars and a motorhome? Just liability? How much? Seems like a deal to me.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #3

yes that is for 2 older cars, 92 Honda and a 95 jeep Cherokee and a 99 dodge pu. These are all nice clean vehicles when in them one thinks they are much newer than they are. This is one of the ways on a fixed income we survive the high cost of most everything else.

This is for six months and currently the mh is In storage mode (no liability) coverage for being on the road.
Loren
Old 07-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'll trade you insurance bills for sure

I guess TexUS is much higher than your state !
Old 07-07-2015, 06:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Apples and oranges comparison for the cars. I have 5 fairly new ones (time to thin thr herd) so they are covered on a different policy than my motorhome. As for the motorhome, I've been with Blue Sky for more than 2 years. My annual renewal just came due and I was surprised that it went down this year. It dropped to $580 for the year, and that's in California where nothing ever seems down.

I used their included tow service a few months ago. They towed my diesel pusher to Cummins for no charge. This is the thrid time I've used their tow service since I've been with them. Never a charge, deductible or rate increase. I'm very pleased with Blue Sky.

Bruce LaHargoue
'06 HR Vacationer 34 PDD.
Clovis and Arnold, CA.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #6

"is it good coverage" - we all have different perspectives in what makes up good coverage, some think its only good if it includes full replacement value; others like you imply only the liability protection is important. if liability is your prime concern, I've found the best way to handle that is with an overall umbrella liability policy. you can get a couple million in umbrella liability much cheaper than increasing the limits on individual policies. it helps if all your individual policies are with the same company, but that's not required.

"the best possible price" - this changes every year and varies state by state, coverage by coverage , individual by individual- so the only way to know is use an independent agent to get yearly quotes from 6 different underwriters for the same apples to apples policy coverage's.
what I pay for my list of coverages in SD, based on my vehicles types, ages, records, has nothing to do with what you will pay in Wa for your vehicles, coverages, history.
I can say that you have a good independent agency not far away, who specialize in RV'ers, the Miller Insurance Agency just south of Portland, they write policies in almost every state through all the major companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Rice View Post
I would be interested to understand what others are getting and why you like what you have. Is it good coverage and at the best possible price? I realize it may be hard subject to get into, thanks for any reply in advance.
Loren
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

Modification of question

I thank all who have answered so far. Let's modify the question to ask "who provides your coverage" have you found them to give good service when you need to speak to them is their system clear and helpful. If you had a claim -- were they fair-- did they give timely help but as a motor home owner, in an accident, did they help get your mh back together quickly as possible. (I do realize sometimes it's going to be the vendor who does the work affects this a lot) but as far as the insurance co has any thing to do with any kind of accident claim is what I'm thinking about.

Who in general do we think offers the best?

To start off I'm with the general insurance co and the policy originally was written through camping world. So far I have no complaints-- but also have had no claims. I bought it because at the time was told they cater to mh owners and will be better service to a mh owner than just a plain car insurance company. I wonder if that is true. Any one know?

I've never had any of these issues so -- just asking. Again thanks for your replies in advance.

Loren
Old 07-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #8

I have 10 vehicles (3 RV's) and 4 homes, and currently have policies with about 6 different companies: National Interstate, Titan (div of Nationwide), Progressive, American Modern, and a few remaining with State Farm (the companies change each year). I used to have all my vehicles & homes with State Farm but started leaving them when they got picky in what types of homes & vehicles they wanted to cover in which state. I now use an independent agency, Miller Insurance, to shop around for the best price on my preferred coverages each year, in my 3 different home states.
I find no major differences in how any of the major insur companies treat claims. If its covered and you have the documentation, there is usually no problem. Some are faster than others in cutting the check, but eventually you get the check if you're entitled. The typical claim problems arise because many customers never read their policy terms. I would guess half the people here don't know if they have full replacement value, agreed value or current value coverage.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance