Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Paul, are planning to host your own "Watts Link Party"? LOL Count me in! Think Barb can stand a yard full of gearheads?
Did someone say party with a yard full of gearheads? Count me in.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
We'd have to see how many could make it up the drive.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #17

I do all my own work. I don't have a big enough shop so I do everything outside. I would
love a bigger shop with a pit. I envy you guys with the big shop but here in the city
they will only allow 600 square foot shop
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I do most of the work on the MH, anything I think I have knowledge and capacity to do. If I have a problem I get on the internet and start doing research, figure out how to fix and do it if I can. If I don't think I can fix something I get go to the appropriate tech people.

Getting ready to build a new house and contemplating a RV garage, my thought was 40' X 60', probably only 1 door in due to the way the land lays. Essentially 1/2 would be for RV, the other 1/2 for workshop and storage. Probably won't put a pit in, I've been able to do what needs to be done without it so far.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #19

I have a 42' X 80' Morton Bldg with 12' walls, and a 12 X 12 overhead door at one end and a 12 X 12 slider at the other end, high output fluorescent lights and air lines run to different places, really is nice to be able to back the coach in and work on it and if need be , just let it set if waiting on a part or something and still be able to do other things in the shop. Yes, a pit may be nice but I don't think I would have enough to do underneath the MH to justify the cost of a pit.
rv9apilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #20

my motor home is a full size school bus that I did a full conversion, built it to travel bush roads to my fishing hole, or hit the high way cross country. Right now I'm changing out all 8 fuel injectors. What I don't have is a shop. so all work is done outside.
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
do my own work

I do most of my own work been repairing ag equipment for 30 years everything from tillage equipment to engine overhauls. my shop is 120 x 80 14 ft overhead no pit . lighting is getting to be a problem as i get older i seem to need more light every year and bifocals are a pain in the ------. cant ever get my head in the right spot thinking about having a pair made upside down ( close up on top ) seems like thats where i need it half the time when im under something. going to get a portable hoist to help me up when the low work is done.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:47 PM   #22

I am fortunate enough to have a 32 x 60 building to keep my coach in. I'm a general contractor so I have an edge over most folks. I do as much wrenching as I can on the coach. I'm like james, I research and Google to find any and all info to help me. I then call anyone that can help me and ask lots of questions. I call it on-the-job training.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
My thoughts on the pit was to have a tray inset in the side rails of the top lip of the pit could be locked into position or on "train" rails so you could lay down and work on any section and roll to a different section, also using it to haul out tools, or yourself from under it if need be, also the pit I have in mind would have relocatable air over hydraulic jacks to raise the coach for axle and side work, this facility would not be for the weak of heart and easily sold if built in the right region of the country, or rented out.. If I admitted defeat on not being able to do my own services.

And Mike I am sure if I built one I would have a visitor..
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone, the biggest issue for me is we just found an enclosed storage measured it, and found that our 42' coach is to long for it, by 4.77" right now the mirrors are buried between boards in the 2x6 walls and the door is 2" from the ladder, the storage physically measured 45.2' from the concrete foundation to the inside lip of the door. Anyone else with this issue? Hence the Shop with a pit..
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #25

When I got our first bus (MCI-9) years ago, I built a shop 25x50 with a pit
40 ft long. Conversion to a motorhome would take quite a while and I knew I was never going to crawl under any coach with an air
suspension. Could be dangerous. I used the pit extensively with our second bus conversion to pull the engine and transmission to exchange with a rebuild.
I now use the shop and pit to maintain our Sig. Oil changes, greasing and brake adjustments are very easy to do.
If you have the opportunity to build a shop with a pit, I would highly recommend it.
Iver.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I pretty much work on everything. I have a fairly nicely equipped 1100sf shop with HVAC and a full bath (in other words, way too small). I just put up a 19x44 rv cover in front of it. It makes it a lot nicer to work under cover, but sometimes I do wish I had a pit. To make working under the mh a little easier, I cut up several rubber horse stable mats into graduated lengths that I can stack into ramps. Using those I can get the beast 6" or so higher off the ground without using the jacks.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
We'd have to see how many could make it up the drive.

Paul
Paul is one of those guys that equipped his coach with valving to raise the rear temporarily so he could drive into his steep driveway without "tail-dragging".
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #28

Pwhittle
I don't remember where exactly I placed the pit I know I could walk around it. I know it was more towards the back so I could have the coach inside and still climb down under. The pit was six feet deep cause I'm 6' 5 " tall and with my arms could reach way up. Also I poured the pit in such a way that I could cover it with 2x12s and the lumber was flush with the floor.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum